WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleeping pad durability

I'm sure this has been talk about already, but if we only talked about new topics there would be nothing left to talk about.

As a side sleeper I like the thickness of the blowup pads. I like the weight of them too. I am also extremely careful with my gear but I seem to sleep on a flat pad more than a inflated one. Any recommendations for a light reliable blowup pad?

Memo Tensor or Neoair xlite.

Nemo not Memo.

Images

Huh, I've been using a Neoair or the Exped UL double pad for several years and never had a leak or other problem. Before that a Prolite 4 for ten years. Am I just incredibly lucky? I don't use a ground sheet, just the cuben floor of my tent. Or a very light plastic sheet inside a shelter.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Its not the pad
    Its you

I've witnessed a lot of people abusing inflatable pads, and wonder why the failure rate isn't even higher.

From sitting on them around the fire, to using them with nothing underneath them to protect them to fat people flip-flopping on them like a fish cuz they too fat to lay down correctly,and cant roll over in place
    They are made to support the normal body's weight lying down only evenly distributed.
    And they're made to have a nice smooth surface underneath.

Everything spare I have goes under my inflatable pad to protect it, in addition to the ground sheet or tent bottom. Rain gear, Maps, sometimes clothing . Avoid sitting on it lay down gently. Usually preceded by clearing the area of rocks sticks tiny pine cones pointy things. Sometimes have to collect Leaf litter to smooth out ground that has tiny embedded rocks.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-05-2018 at 22:53.

It might be me if only because I haven't paid the $$ for the high dollar pads. My last pad failed due to a leaky valve night one. The only other time it was used was for an hour on my floor at the house. That's why I asked the question so i don't waste 200 dollars. Or have revert back to my original 2+ lbs 22 year old Therm-a-rest

I am a side sleeper and have used the Neoair Xlite for a couple years now. Like you, I take good care of my gear and still have a Thermarest from circa 1984 in use by family for car camping. It has been a very comfortable backpacking pad and I have had no problems with wear. For me, it has been the best backpacking option when considering weight versus comfort. I am a middle aged 6' and about 185lbs...my much lighter (and obviously much younger) daughter prefers the Sea to Summit pads. She tosses and turns a lot so I don't think you can characterize her as a definite side sleeper.

Journal Entries

Are you sure your pad is leaking? I think part of the issue might be that when you fill the pad your breath is warm but then the air in the pad shrinks as it cools overnight. What I am doing is that I leave my pad after filling for some time and top it off again before going to sleep which seems to make it stay well inflated through the night.

My Exped UL-7 (long/wide) went the entire trail without leaking, and I never used a ground cloth/footprint. However, I always had a 1/8 inch Gossamer Gear foam pad under it. Bests 3 oz. insurance I ever bought, and the GG pad doubled as a sit pad.

Of course, you must respect any air pad and clear ground of potentially damaging debris before deploying. Oh yeah, and NEVER kneel on it. As I said, respect it.

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    Are you sure your pad is leaking? I think part of the issue might be that when you fill the pad your breath is warm but then the air in the pad shrinks as it cools overnight. What I am doing is that I leave my pad after filling for some time and top it off again before going to sleep which seems to make it stay well inflated through the night.
    I am familiar with the air cooling and get slack. There is nothing like putting a white water raft in cold mountain water just to have a half inflated boat. This last section hike I took a brand new Klymit static V to to find it flat in about 3 hours. Once at home ( with a bath tub) I found the valve was not seated all the way in the housing creating a slow leak. Might have been a simple fix but i couldn't diagnose it on the trail.

I do love the inflatable air pads but have not had good luck with the NEMO tensor. I have three. One 20 inch for solo and two 25 inch for couples setup. I've had two flats, both with pin holes in the top side pocket dimples. I've repaired a dozen holes. I do take care if my gear, I'm 230 lb and I take care not to over inflate. I'm wondering if I just have a bad lot. I've seen lots of good comments on NEMO durability.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have a Nemo Tensor insulated L/W and it's been great (knock on wood). I did spring a leak one time out on the JMT, but that was due to the inside of my tent getting a little too dirty and an piece of gravel popping the hole. Patched it right up and it's been money since. And lesson learned - I make sure the inside of my tent is clean before putting my pad in. I'm a big boy and fish flopper at night and it's held up great.
    It is what it is.

++ New Posts ++