WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Wink Little Trooper: How my dog got her Trail name.

And, how I became jealous of a dog in an instant.

So, Lettie is my 7lb Chiweenie mix who is a beast on the trail. Right now, she is doing 10-13 mi days. No problem. White Oak Canyon Loop. Doyles River (A loop of 10+ miles. We got lost so don't know the exact miles) Dolly Sods. 10-11 mile day hikes.

She also goes to car shows, dog events, trips to NYC to visit her brother (my BFF adopted her brother)

Last October, I met up a fellow section hiker and went on a trip to Dolly Sods. The entire hike, she was very well behaved. No barking. No running off. Even when I would drop her leash to get around a muddy spot, she proved herself by sticking close and navigating the mud by herself.

Her trail name came along as all trail names come along...she was constantly being called the little trouper. We passed at least twenty people that first day. The majority of them would see her and say, "What a little trooper!" or, "She a little trouper to be on these trails"

Later that night when I caught up with my party and was sitting around the campfire. Lettie was on another person lap, loving life. I mentioned how she needs a trail name. The guy who I had come there with said without hesitation, "When I see her, I think "little trooper"."

I laughed. Told him about how everyone I had passed has been saying the same thing. We agreed that was a great name. She really is an awesome, little trouper. She keeps up with the big dogs. She doesn't need to be picked up. And, she is working on some serious trail miles for such a small dog.

To top it all off...We were hiking out the next day and passed a couple going the opposite direction. They saw little and of course called out, "what a little trooper! look at her go!" My section hike buddy glanced back to me with this huge grin and I was like, "See what I mean?!?! My damn dog got a trail name before me!"

20180127_125028.jpg
    20180127_122847.jpg
    063.jpg

Nice story, cute dog
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I think my dog would come away with "you big furry nuisance".
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Great story, great dog. My dog is a catahola named Dori. She is also a support dog who grounds me, maybe she should be called grounder! Love seeing critters while out hiking, including polite trail dogs :?)

Thanks!
    We are about to tackle a 40mile section hike late this month. The last hike we did, she was still playing with sticks at the campsite despite having done a solid 12+ miles with a sizeable amount being straight up a incline.

Nothing better than a four legged hiking buddy! Be careful of great horned owls with a pup that small! I know a few people who have lots small dogs to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A nice story for your dog name. I am thinking about my little new dog name now

++ New Posts ++