Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Going Solo

Default Going Solo

Greetings, all.

My plan is to begin a NOBO adventure in March 2020, when I throttle back on work a bit. I'll be 60 and more than ready for the AT challenge. Been thinking about it since I was a girl doing a few miles of AT in New Jersey with my dad. I plan to head off solo. I like the idea of setting my own pace, etc. I've done many other long-distance hikes, but always in a group.

Would *love* to hear from other women -- younger or more toward my vintage -- who have done the AT solo. Any suggestions on pros/cons of a one-woman hike? I am quite sociable and have no problem with joining another woman or group for bit. But my vision at the moment is to join the 2,000-mile club on my own.

And to all who are currently on the trail: Good luck. I envy you.

Unless you can match the pace of Jennifer Davis or Heather Anderson, you won’t be alone.
    Hike the CDT if you wish to be alone some of the time.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Wayne

“...toward my vintage...” lol. Well, I’m 53, but will be solo hiking AT next year. I might be overconfident, but I have no concerns hiking solo, especially the AT. Doesn’t mean I’ll let my guard down either.
    I’ve spent so much effort getting ready for next year. Spent a good six months researching and scrutinizing all my gear, reading journals and books, and of course watching YouTube.
    I’m not necessarily training at all, I’ll be backpacking and hiking this summer, but nothing can prepare me for the AT as the highest elevation where I live is about 300 metres. I expect a rude awakening when I hit the AT next year, but I think if I take it slow for the first couple weeks and don’t push it too hard, my feet will thank me later.

Good luck in 2020!
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Images

Greetings!

Honestly, I can't think of any "cons" for a solo hike. This is said after spending 40+ years backpacking all over... Safety issues are no different from anywhere else and a group tends to make your hike a "group" hike, rather than your own hike. For me, I have always preferred to hit the trail alone. I can hike at my pace, take breaks when it suits me, and my days are flexible to be as long (or short) as I want them to be. I started backpacking alone because many of my friends were busy, or it wasn't their thing. Don't get me wrong - hiking with others can be fun. It just means adjusting your expectations for your hike.

The AT is a very social place. If you find yourself wanting company, there is no shortage of people! If you happen to find someone/ a small group that matches your pace - perfect! It happens. If things don't work out, then just move along.

Enjoy your hike!

Images

Have no worries, you wont be alone. I don't see any CON's myself. I started NOBO last March solo at 60yo and found being alone was not an issue. I quickly found a group that was hiking about the same pace as myself.....slow and steady. We kind of kept an eye on each other and provided support. When I had a family emergency that ended my thru hike attempt these folks help me get to town and back to Atlanta. I found being a solo hiker I was able to set my pace, stop when I wanted, start in the morning when I was ready and it so was really my hike. I have sectioned hike most of the AT in New England, some times alone and sometimes with partners. Although it was nice hiking with another at times, other times I found we weren't the same pace and having to wait for someone or to worry and push faster to keep up wasn't the type of hiking I enjoyed. Because of these experiences I chose to hike Solo and had no regrets for the amount of time I was out there. The worry came from my family tho. To keep them happy I chose to carry a GPS tracker so they could monitor where I was. The one I chose sent my location every 15 minutes and I could send a message even when there wasn't cell phone service. Family and friends loved following my hike and seeing where I was on a map share program. A little extra weight and $$ but worth keeping hubby and children happy. The AT is very busy and you will find you will have many folks to talk to and gain friends along the way that match your pace and plans. Especially starting NOBO there wont be any worry of camping alone for quite some time, at which point you'll be a pro hiker. Personally I found the crowds NOBO end of March too much. There was always a scurry for camping sites - luckily I hammock hang so I could find a spot but others were scrambling for space in shelters or flat spots to pitch a tent. Because of this I plan on doing a Flip Flop in 2019 for anther attempt. For me reading suggestions from hikers successful with a flip flop I feel, at my age and fitness level starting off at the easiest part to build up my stamina good. Fewer crowds so no worry about getting a spot at a hostel or camping spot, hitting the Whites and Maine in good physical shape but not depleted end of hike fatigue and body breakdown, .... all these reasons think I'm more likely to be successful in my thru hike. Also having family in Maine I can easily take a break and reconnect with family before heading sobo. For me the only down side is I have already section hiked from Harpers Ferry to Deleware Water Gap, so this will be a repeat. Finalize plans haven't been made but I'm thinking of starting in SNP to give me a start on trail I haven't hiked yet.

Good luck with your hike. You can do it.

Images

The AT is a very social place. If you find yourself wanting company, there is no shortage of people! If you happen to find someone/ a small group that matches your pace - perfect! It happens. If things don't work out, then just move along.

What if you do a flip flop hike or SOBO? Would you still have a lot of people around?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wolfywolfy View Post

What if you do a flip flop hike or SOBO? Would you still have a lot of people around?
    As the trail sees more people, flip flop and SOBO hikes are becoming a lot more common. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy offers some pretty good info about what to expect for NOBO, flip flop, and SOBO hikes. Just scroll down a bit here: http://appalachiantrail.org/home/exp...il/thru-hiking

Unless you are trying for a hike that will span the winter, odds are pretty good you will still see plenty of people on the trail. They might not necessarily be thru-hikers, but there are many section hikers who do big chunks of the trail at a time. There are also day hikers and camp groups that use the trail (obviously in smaller segments) throughout the season. I've found that if you want to be around people they aren't hard to find. I've also found that when I want some alone time it isn't hard to create that space on the trail.

In my early 50's, I have solo section hiked. I have no fears, and I have found that even on a two week section hike, I find people to connect with! Good luck!

Reading all of this is very inspiring to me. Thank you all who shared your age. As of right now I plan to hike around the time I turn 52 so reading this is encouraging and helpful things to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Roro View Post
    Reading all of this is very inspiring to me. Thank you all who shared your age. As of right now I plan to hike around the time I turn 52 so reading this is encouraging and helpful things to know.
    Roro, I started the AT in Georgia when I was 68. I did a quarter of the trail each year, and finished on Katahdin at 72. Don’t let age be a barrier - you can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miss.Entropy View Post
    Greetings, all.

My plan is to begin a NOBO adventure in March 2020, when I throttle back on work a bit. I'll be 60 and more than ready for the AT challenge. Been thinking about it since I was a girl doing a few miles of AT in New Jersey with my dad. I plan to head off solo. I like the idea of setting my own pace, etc. I've done many other long-distance hikes, but always in a group.

Would *love* to hear from other women -- younger or more toward my vintage -- who have done the AT solo. Any suggestions on pros/cons of a one-woman hike? I am quite sociable and have no problem with joining another woman or group for bit. But my vision at the moment is to join the 2,000-mile club on my own.

And to all who are currently on the trail: Good luck. I envy you.
    I hike with my husband, but he's a man, so it's still a "one-woman hike" .... technically.

I'm the same age as you, and rooting for you to have a successful journey.

Not sure how well I would do with a solo hike. He's the gear guy, so I've never had to learn exactly how to mix the aquamira, or how to backflush the filter, or how to tie specific knots. And I feel safer with him around (even a bear would be intimidated by that snoring!) One of these days I'm going to get out there by myself.

I think you’ll be just fine.

I met a young lady that turned 18 on the trail - she sort of became part of our trail family in Virginia. She would always laugh when people asked her if she was afraid or alone. Once an older lady came up to us while we were eating in town and gave her a 20 and said she was so proud of what she was accomplishing.

We all looked at each other for a few seconds until the lady left and then said used the 20 to buy us all coffee.

You’ll make plenty of friends and you’ll also be alone. It’s a looooong Trek and I think what you want right now can and will be quite a bit different than what you’re feeling when you’re 500+ miles in.

Once you’re into Virginia I feel that a lot of the concerns and expectations we all start with have long since been trampled by a million steps; gender, gear snobbery, obnoxious behavior from obnoxious people. A lot of the people that cause those issues have long since dropped out and all that remain are just...hikers.

I’m having a hard time properly articulating what I’m trying to say, so, long story short, worry less, hop on the trail, and have a super miserable but also ultimately amazing trip

Thanks so much for the lovely story about your AT adventures. I am *so ready* to get out there. As you might expect, the only people who raised doubts about a solo hike are ... men. All my girlfriends and other women intuitively understand the resilience and resourcefulness inside all us women. I daydream all the time about looking north from Amicalola Falls and taking those first steps.

PS -- love your trail name, Shrewd.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss.Entropy View Post
    Thanks so much for the lovely story about your AT adventures. I am *so ready* to get out there. As you might expect, the only people who raised doubts about a solo hike are ... men. All my girlfriends and other women intuitively understand the resilience and resourcefulness inside all us women. I daydream all the time about looking north from Amicalola Falls and taking those first steps.

PS -- love your trail name, Shrewd.
    Then you’re totally tougher than me, I skipped the approach trail

"Solo" probably happens mostly during the day! I almost always had company at shelters and camp spots. Have a great time!!

Quote Originally Posted by kizzybean View Post
    Have no worries, you wont be alone. I don't see any CON's myself. I started NOBO last March solo at 60yo and found being alone was not an issue. I quickly found a group that was hiking about the same pace as myself.....slow and steady. We kind of kept an eye on each other and provided support. When I had a family emergency that ended my thru hike attempt these folks help me get to town and back to Atlanta. I found being a solo hiker I was able to set my pace, stop when I wanted, start in the morning when I was ready and it so was really my hike. I have sectioned hike most of the AT in New England, some times alone and sometimes with partners. Although it was nice hiking with another at times, other times I found we weren't the same pace and having to wait for someone or to worry and push faster to keep up wasn't the type of hiking I enjoyed. Because of these experiences I chose to hike Solo and had no regrets for the amount of time I was out there. The worry came from my family tho. To keep them happy I chose to carry a GPS tracker so they could monitor where I was. The one I chose sent my location every 15 minutes and I could send a message even when there wasn't cell phone service. Family and friends loved following my hike and seeing where I was on a map share program. A little extra weight and $$ but worth keeping hubby and children happy. The AT is very busy and you will find you will have many folks to talk to and gain friends along the way that match your pace and plans. Especially starting NOBO there wont be any worry of camping alone for quite some time, at which point you'll be a pro hiker. Personally I found the crowds NOBO end of March too much. There was always a scurry for camping sites - luckily I hammock hang so I could find a spot but others were scrambling for space in shelters or flat spots to pitch a tent. Because of this I plan on doing a Flip Flop in 2019 for anther attempt. For me reading suggestions from hikers successful with a flip flop I feel, at my age and fitness level starting off at the easiest part to build up my stamina good. Fewer crowds so no worry about getting a spot at a hostel or camping spot, hitting the Whites and Maine in good physical shape but not depleted end of hike fatigue and body breakdown, .... all these reasons think I'm more likely to be successful in my thru hike. Also having family in Maine I can easily take a break and reconnect with family before heading sobo. For me the only down side is I have already section hiked from Harpers Ferry to Deleware Water Gap, so this will be a repeat. Finalize plans haven't been made but I'm thinking of starting in SNP to give me a start on trail I haven't hiked yet.

Good luck with your hike. You can do it.
    Kizzy - Why didn't you decide to just go SOBO? instead of the flip-flop?? just curious

I haven't hiked the AT yet, but I've done a lot of solo hiking. I personally enjoy not seeing people, but I've had some bad experiences with boys who don't respect women. So personally even though I will probably do the hike solo, I will aim to stay within a reasonable distance of groups in case problems arise. If I were a boy I wouldn't think twice about being alone.

I had to chuckle reading this post as it could almost be my story. I am a female solo hiker, and I'll be 53 in March. 2019 will be my thru-hike year. Yay!!!!
    I have tremendous faith in the magic of the trail. There is no reason ANY woman should hesitate to venture out solo - the trail acts as a perfect equalizer, I have found. And it is safer out on the trail than most of our neighborhoods.

I am planning to start at Springer Mtn 2/1/19, barring blizzard conditions. Y'all ladies say 'Hey' if you happen to see me.

Be brave, and remember: We're all in this together!!
    --Snowflake

Journal Entries

^+

Ive encountered women hiking solo from 17 to 74.
    Its really nothing to worry about on trail.

Hitching, and in towns are places to be more wary.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-13-2018 at 02:24.

I'm planning a solo thru-hike for March of 2020 as well. Turning 30 that April. Maybe we'll cross paths

-JC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++