WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Okay 90 days. Sue me!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Use the base map and compare to paper map, and change location format to UTM or USNG so you have about half a chance in hell of actually coming up with a meaningful number. Lat/Long is practically useless for finding position on a paper map.
    I'll need to chat about this next time we're together..

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    .....I'd say that other than requiring a phone as the UI for messaging it was a great little unit. I liked it but prefer my standalone unit for a few reasons.
    Technically, the phone interface isn't required for messaging. Truth told, by the time you get you're message sent using the Mini's nav buttons you will have bled out, but it's doable. Nav functions can be done without the phone as well. Maps require the Earthmate app.

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I'll need to chat about this next time we're together..
    Technically, the phone interface isn't required for messaging. Truth told, by the time you get you're message sent using the Mini's nav buttons you will have bled out, but it's doable. Nav functions can be done without the phone as well. Maps require the Earthmate app.
    I didn't even know it was possible. Sounds way worse than trying to send a text with the regular InReach without the phone. The Mini wasn't really designed to be used without the bluetooth/phone connection except for the SOS...can be done apparently, but not easily or simply.

I didn't even know it was possible. Sounds way worse than trying to send a text with the regular InReach without the phone. The Mini wasn't really designed to be used without the bluetooth/phone connection except for the SOS...can be done apparently, but not easily or simply.
    Possible, yes. Would I do it? Only if I had to. That was a tedious process on the SE.. gotta drive you bonkers on the Mini

As far as hitting the SOS goes, having the ability to relay information back to them is only useful if they know you aren’t in complete dire straits. If you don’t respond to the messaging, they will assume you are unconscious/incapacitated and will move as fast as possible with a full kit to get to you. Being able to text just helps them if it’s not a fully life or death situation, in which case using the side buttons or your phone shouldn’t be a big deal.

I just picked up one yesterday, and honestly in think it’s easier to use than I was expecting. It’s definitely small. My only gripe so far is the Earthmate app maps aren’t very good, so I’ll still need Gaia for routing I think. We’ll see, I (hopefully) have a hike this weekend to test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    As far as hitting the SOS goes, having the ability to relay information back to them is only useful if they know you aren’t in complete dire straits. If you don’t respond to the messaging, they will assume you are unconscious/incapacitated and will move as fast as possible with a full kit to get to you. Being able to text just helps them if it’s not a fully life or death situation, in which case using the side buttons or your phone shouldn’t be a big deal.

I just picked up one yesterday, and honestly in think it’s easier to use than I was expecting. It’s definitely small. My only gripe so far is the Earthmate app maps aren’t very good, so I’ll still need Gaia for routing I think. We’ll see, I (hopefully) have a hike this weekend to test it out.
    Make sure you download the good ones. I have USGS maps of each area I hike in as well as the Earthmate Topo maps downloaded...you just have to be proactive and go get them. They have all the trails on them, lakes, names, peaks etc...I think you'll be satisfied

Default New Garmin InReach Mini Satellite Communicator

check that earthmate menu. Looks like you can also send your SOS from there - altho it's easy enough to hit the button on the mini.

I can see that maybe the difficulty in two way communications could be a plus. I for one don't necessarily need to be hearing from my family. Am I correct in assuming that with tracking mode on, they family at home will be able to view my progress on their home device? If so, that should satisfy their need to know I'm OK (along with the canned messages). In a pinch, I can always fire up the Bluetooth/phone.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Here's what I don't get: it tells me my lat/long coordinates, right? I have no idea what my actual lat/long is at any moment. How do you know if it's right or wrong?
    You can compare LAT. & LONG. & ELEV. with the Guthook app share location feature. The phone won’t send the share message without cell service BUT you can read the message on your phone’s screen.
    Wayne

Like this:

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Okay. Memory Banks refreshed.
    Start Guthook.
    Touch RED rectangle with GPS written inside.
    Rectangle turns GREEN. GPS turned on and working.
    Touch SQUARE icon left of GPS icon.
    Box opens with your position and elevation.
    Compare to InReach numbers.
    You’re welcome!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Here's what I don't get: it tells me my lat/long coordinates, right? I have no idea what my actual lat/long is at any moment. How do you know if it's right or wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    You can compare LAT. & LONG. & ELEV. with the Guthook app share location feature. The phone won’t send the share message without cell service BUT you can read the message on your phone’s screen.
    Wayne
    This is one reason why you should always carry a paper map, compass, and learn how to triangulate using back azmuths. If you know how to read the coordinates on your map and determine your location, you can confirm the ups accuracy yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    ....My only gripe so far is the Earthmate app maps aren’t very good, so I’ll still need Gaia for routing I think. We’ll see, I (hopefully) have a hike this weekend to test it out.
    I still use Gaia for route planning and guidance. I push the gpx file out to the Suunto Ambit and the InReach, but the InReach is for backup only.

GaiaGPS.com has a far more robust map set and the app provides a better interface IMHO.

Does the REI Hiking Project Trail Map collection work with phone or InReach GPS Hardware?
    I’ve found enough trails at the Hiking Project to keep me busy forever.
    Talking about maps and phone displays seems like a major Oxymoron to me. Thank goodness for Cal Topo and the FREE CDT map set from the CDTC.
    Wayne

Rock Lake.jpeg

So. Something like this, printed and protected in a Ziplock bag, would be sufficient for backcountry navigation? Assuming a compass and rudimentary navigation skills? With or without an electronic Gadget?
    Wayne

Rock Lake.jpeg

So. Something like this, printed and protected in a Ziplock bag, would be sufficient for backcountry navigation? Assuming a compass and rudimentary navigation skills? With or without an electronic Gadget?
    Wayne
    It's all I've used to plot my routes...including our trips in the Winds this year and last year.

I knew that. 😄👍
    And work they did.
    This is a new audience. Soliciting input.
    I’m contemplating a trip next year. Blending old standby and new locations.
    Wayne

Rock Lake.jpeg

Wayne
    It's all I've used to plot my routes...including our trips in the Winds this year and last year.
    Yep, pretty much what I use as well. All the major topography, grid squares for plotting, and an azimuth with declination.

I started printing on the waterproof ink jet paper REI carries and it has worked very well. I still keep it in a zip lock, but it just helps in those situations where you need to unfold and your hands may be damp.

Obviously plotting waypoints on Gaia or other GPS is easier, but I know how to hear back azimuths and dead reckoning to get where I need to if that fails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...and tick off stream crossings, tight trail bends, landmarks, lakes, etc. as you go so you at least know where you’ve been and anything important that might be coming up.
    Wayne

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++