WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

So. We shall agree to disagree.
    I bought an ACR ResQLink +.
    It rides on my pack’s shoulder strap.
    I don’t ever plan to need it.
    Should I need it I trust that it will work and send out the SOS/GPS position during the 24 hour battery life. Without need for a subscription fee.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    So. We shall agree to disagree.
    I bought an ACR ResQLink +.
    It rides on my pack’s shoulder strap.
    I don’t ever plan to need it.
    Should I need it I trust that it will work and send out the SOS/GPS position during the 24 hour battery life. Without need for a subscription fee.
    Wayne
    Could easily just be growing pains with the first generation Mini as well. I’ve learned that even though these units look the same on the outside, some components are sourced from different manufacturers. I need to get min it and try a few message transmissions to see how mine behaves.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Ahh, the vagaries of telecommunications. This is why I stopped programming and went into management, although I never trusted my comms programmers to develop a reliable solution.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Should I need it I trust that it will work and send out the SOS/GPS position during the 24 hour battery life.Wayne
    Always test your gear before you need it?

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Always test your gear before you need it?
    My PLB has a test function. I perform the test in the vicinity of trees before starting a trip. The confirmation email arrives promptly. So far so good.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The simple explanation of how GPS works is that GPS satellites constantly send out a signal indicating where it is and what time it is. Since each satellite is a different distance from your GSP receiver, the time stamps on these signals will be out of sync. Once the GPS has locked in on at least three satellite signals, it becomes a complex triangulation calculation of the difference in these time stamps and the locations of the satellites to determine where you are.
    I think the picture here is just a bit more complicated - as I understand it GPS satellites have very accurate atomic clocks but the receivers do not ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...m#Fundamentals ) and so they can only determine differences in arrival times or equivalently differences in distances between different satellites. A set of all point that have a known, fixed difference in distance from two foci (i.e. satellites) forms a hyperboloid and thus GPS receiver location is at the intersection of hyperboloids requiring signal from 4 satellites rather than 3, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...em_description and also an article on Multilateration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multilateration

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++