WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    I didn't use tracking or route planning either. I figure since I text my kids in the morning and evening, that's all the tracking they need. And I had other apps on my phone with my route.
    If the InReach is off and you need to send an SOS you’re hosed.
    If the InReach is off and you do manage to send an SOS you’re hosed because the SOS center doesn’t really know where you are.
    Your family is not your primary rescue information center.
    Take the InReach back to REI. Ask them to set it up for minimum position transmission, 10 minuets I think, and maximum battery time. Turn it on at the trailhead. Leave it on.
    Send the preset text messages as needed. Tell the family there’s no need for reply chit chat UNLESS they get an OH YUCK! I’m hurt message after you send the official SOS message.
    If you still think that you’re using the battery excessively trade your dozen phone batteries for a single 10k MAH battery that will charge the phone and the InReach.
    InReach ON, phone on in Airplane Mode while on the trail.
    You can check the InReach for battery drain at home by turning it on, stick it in a pocket and go about your daily routine including any training hiking, shopping, grandkids cooking, etc.
    That’s All Folks!
    Wayne

Default New Garmin InReach Mini Satellite Communicator

I don't really plan on sending any SOS with the inReach turned off, big W
    Chit-chatting with my family when im out hiking is very important to me. Hopefully that's the only thing I'll ever use the thing for.
    That said, I give my family my location for their peace of mind - not because I expect them to be my primary rescue information center. I send YOU my location because I expect YOU to be my primary rescue information center! (JUST KIDDING)!!
    You can use preset messages if you want. Oh. No you can't. You've got Spot. You can't send anything but SOS.
    Trading in my spare phone batteries for a charger to charge both is not wise. I'll keep my spares for my phone, and likely I won't need a charger for the garmin.
    You're late. I'm in the process of testing it by leaving it on all day now.

Garmin has software that anyone you choose can follow your progress on a real map on a computer in 10 minuet intervals.
    “When in doubt read the book.”
    Wayne

Doesn't mean you have to use it for that. I don't need that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    If the InReach is off and you need to send an SOS you’re hosed.
    If the InReach is off and you do manage to send an SOS you’re hosed because the SOS center doesn’t really know where you are.
    Your family is not your primary rescue information center.
    Take the InReach back to REI. Ask them to set it up for minimum position transmission, 10 minuets I think, and maximum battery time. Turn it on at the trailhead. Leave it on.
    Send the preset text messages as needed. Tell the family there’s no need for reply chit chat UNLESS they get an OH YUCK! I’m hurt message after you send the official SOS message.
    If you still think that you’re using the battery excessively trade your dozen phone batteries for a single 10k MAH battery that will charge the phone and the InReach.
    InReach ON, phone on in Airplane Mode while on the trail.
    You can check the InReach for battery drain at home by turning it on, stick it in a pocket and go about your daily routine including any training hiking, shopping, grandkids cooking, etc.
    That’s All Folks!
    Wayne
    This is exactly how I use my kit. InResch on, mage check at 30 minutes, phone on airplane mode.

My wife sends more messages than is ideal but it's what makes her comfortable and that gets me out more often.

I posted battery life on another forum the week I bought the mini. I purchased on a Monday, charged full on the morning and left the unit on until it died. During this time I sent many messages... Preset and free form. I uploaded and followed numerous routes. I browsed menus endlessly. Powered on and off a few times. The battery died Friday afternoon.

I went from some dead to full charged in about two hours using the battery bank only. The SE took far longer.. many hours, to charge.

More often than not I am solo. My primary reason for switching (I consider it an upgrade) is for the SOS function, so it is critical that 1)The unit be on with a solid sat fix and 2) I have it with me, not buried in my pack. With shall size and light weight, and the addition of the locking belt clip and a short Z-Line tether with micro mitten clip the unit is easily clipped in my shirt, pocket, belt and even my hat.

The earthmate app is useful but not mandatory as long as you know your way around the menu system.

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk..

I just finished a simple battery test. Turned it on and left it stationary on the patio out back for 12 hours. No tracking, no messages, no moving.
    Mine lost 14% (from 93% to 79%) after 12 hours like that. For what it's worth.

That hardly matches the reviews / Garmin marketing hype I’ve read online. Call the Bosnian lady back. Ask her how to fix it.
    Oh. Why start the test at 93%?
    Wayne

Except from Backpacking Light Review:
    “Manufacturer-claimed battery life: Up to 50 hours at 10-minute tracking with 2-minute logging (default); up to 30 hours at 10-minute tracking with 1-second logging; up to 20 days at the 30-minute interval power save mode”
    The last entry will suit your needs.
    Wayne

That hardly matches the reviews / Garmin marketing hype I’ve read online. Call the Bosnian lady back. Ask her how to fix it.
    Oh. Why start the test at 93%?
    Wayne
    A loss of 14% over 12 hours would give me about 86 hours. Better than what you read. But agsan, I wasn't tracking, messaging or even moving.
    I started at 93 cause that's how much juice the thing said it had when I turned it on.

A loss of 14% over 12 hours would give me about 86 hours. Better than what you read. But agsan, I wasn't tracking, messaging or even moving.
    I started at 93 cause that's how much juice the thing said it had when I turned it on.
    24 x 20 days = 480 hours. Approximately 10 times your test today.
    The factory defaults on your InReach are set to high. Dial them down.
    Wayne

Wayne, I'm never gonna be away from a wall outlet for 20 days bud!

I know that. But you might be out more than the 3 1/2 days which is all you’ve got now according to the test today.
    Some of us might be out for 20 days. It’s also a matter of principle and truth in marketing. If Garmin claims 20 days, then Garmin and REI owe the owners 20 days.
    Wayne

I know that. But you might be out more than the 3 1/2 days which is all you’ve got now according to the test today.
    Some of us might be out for 20 days. It’s also a matter of principle and truth in marketing. If Garmin claims 20 days, then Garmin and REI owe the owners 20 days.
    Wayne
    Right. This was a test - just leaving it on for 12 hours. On my recent 4 day hike where I kept it off mostly, just turning it on a few times a day to send or check messages, it had 68% at the end. So I used well under half, so at least enough for 4 or maybe 6 more days. 8 days. Plenty for me.
    But next time I'm in REI, I'll get the Bosnian lady to see if she can work some magic on it.

Here's an item that baffled me..

I recall seeing a screen in the menu tree that shows battery life in large bold numbers. I've tried to find that screen with no luck. Called Garmin support hoping I could get a flowchart of the menu screens but that was a dead end. All I have is the small battery icon and the low battery alerts at 25% and 5% (the latter might have been 10%.. can't recall). Where did you find the battery level display to show it was 93%; 68% etc? Is that from the power-up sequence?

I have to agree with Venchka.. set the tracking settings to the longest and use power saver mode. Make sure the display is on low brightness.

Did you have a clear view of the sky while doing this test? Maybe you were caught in a loop trying to discover the satellites.

Right. This was a test - just leaving it on for 12 hours. On my recent 4 day hike where I kept it off mostly, just turning it on a few times a day to send or check messages, it had 68% at the end. So I used well under half, so at least enough for 4 or maybe 6 more days. 8 days. Plenty for me.
    But next time I'm in REI, I'll get the Bosnian lady to see if she can work some magic on it.
    There you go. That’s a good plan.
    Then go use it on a trail!
    Wayne

I’m not sure why it’s REI’s responsibility to insure manufacturer claims.

That being said, that 20 day mark is always a best case scenario: perfect temperature (everyone always forgets that part), no screen use, Bluetooth off, no logging, no location forwarding, just held in an on-state with the ability to go to full power faster than from a full off position.

Any way you slice it, it’s still better than the battery life of any phone I know of if using it for tracking.

Online reports of Garmin’s user unfriendly menu system is one reason for REI to make it right at point of sale.
    Sure, 20 days might be an in the laboratory ideal, 10 days would be an acceptable compromise and negate the need for an external battery for most users.
    And. REI can earn their money.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post

Any way you slice it, it’s still better than the battery life of any phone I know of if using it for tracking.
    I no longer record tracks on my phone. The Suunto Ambit does a flawless job with that. Its navigation feature set is outstanding as well. I'll push the tracks out to Gaia once I'm home, so I see them on the phones map.. otherwise the tracking on the phone will I'll the battery in no time.

Hadn't thought about turning off Bluetooth. Good idea.

Still can't find the battery display on the mini.. I do see the mini's battery status in Earthmate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My concern with the Garmin products is: Does your track, 2 - 10 - 30 minuets whatever, go to the GEOS center when the unit is on and running?
    By all accounts, GPS accuracy is greatly improved with continuous activity while hiking. No doubt the unit can be turned off when you are done for the day. As long as you turn it on as part of your morning pre-hike routine.
    I ask because I feel like the GEOS center will find you faster if they can see a continuous track as opposed to a hit and miss point here and there which is what happens if the unit is switched on and off while hiking.
    Does that make sense?
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    I’m not sure why it’s REI’s responsibility to insure manufacturer claims.
    It isn't their responsibility. But they have folks that can show me what I'm doing wrong, and they're always glad to help.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++