WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What are your "Go To" hikes?

I have hiked many different places in the U.S. and overseas, but there are 4 hikes that I have repeated more than a few times:

The Grand Canyon -- I first hiked the Grand Canyon 12 years ago. Since then, I have hiked to the bottom 38 times. I keep being drawn back. My permit request for September is currently pending.

The Wonderland Trail -- I have hiked three of the four "Wonderland Trails" but I have hiked the Mt. Rainier Wonderland over and over. (I have hiked the Wonderland of Rocks in Arizona and the Wonderland Trail in Acadia National Park in Maine. I recently learned that there is a Wonderland Trail in Joshua Tree National Park, but I have not yet had a chance to hike it.

The Hundred Mile Wilderness -- It has been several years since I have returned, but I hiked the Hundred Mile Wilderness six years in a row after I retired. It is about time to do it again.

The Ozette Loop Trail -- I try to hike the Ozette Loop Trail in Olympic National Park at least once a year. I have lost track of how many times i have hiked it. Sometimes I do it as a day hike. It is just a 9.5 mile hike, but most of the time I camp overnight. What I like about it is when the high tide comes in, the camp sites are totally cut off by the water. Camping alone on the coast of the Pacific Ocean is a unique experience.

Which hikes do you do again and again?
    Shutterbug

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

My single biggest "Go To" hike would be hiking up to LeConte Lodge in GSMNP.
    For those that like hiking but don't like the idea of "camping", LeConte Lodge is awesome. You hike to an isolated lodge located 5 miles from the nearest trailhead. There's no electricity; flashlights and kerosene lamps light the night. You get fed dinner and breakfast the next morning, and you sleep in a private cabin heated with LP Gas. After dinner, you can make the short walk to Cliff Tops to watch the sunset. If you can manage to drag yourself out of bed early enough, there's a 3/4 mile hike to a location to watch sun rise.

My favorite way to hike the lodge is to park at Alum Cave Trail Head and get a shuttle to New Found Gap. Hike to the lodge along the mountain crest, first along the AT and then the Boulevard Trail. Several spots along the way have great mountain vistas. Alum Cave is the shortest trail to the lodge, so I like exiting that way since I always drive home that same day.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 04-30-2018 at 12:09.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I have hiked many different places in the U.S. and overseas, but there are 4 hikes that I have repeated more than a few times:

The Grand Canyon -- I first hiked the Grand Canyon 12 years ago. Since then, I have hiked to the bottom 38 times. I keep being drawn back. My permit request for September is currently pending.

Which hikes do you do again and again?
    We might be close to ties on the Grand Canyon thing.... I can count right around 35 trips to the bottom over the last 20 years. It just doesn't get old. Going back again this fall, after having done a trip in January already.

Besides that mega-repeat, I suppose my biggest thing would be the nearby 14ers here in Colorado, like Greys/Torreys/Bierstadt/Pikes/Elbert, all of which I've been up at least 20 times each. They just don't get old. Extremely crowded these days, but not bad on weekdays or in the winter (all of these have safe winter routes).

Images

The Linville Gorge Hiking Circuit is a favorite of mine. It is a conglomerate of 21 individual trails that - when linked - circles the Linville Gorge Wilderness in its' entirety. Widely accepted as the toughest hiking circuit east of the Rocky Mountains, this grand titan extends 34 miles in length and sports a mammoth 16,600’ of elevation change.

Beginning at the Pine Gap parking lot, the trails that make-up the Linville Gorge Hiking Circuit are listed here in order from start to finish. Marion Wright Trail, Erwin's View Trail, Plunge Basin Trail, Plunge Basin Trail / Red North Trail Connector Trail, Red North Trail, Brushy Ridge Trail, Red South Trail, Devil's Cliff Trail, Jonas Ridge Trail, Hawksbill Trail, Ledge Trail, Ledge Trail / Spence Ridge Trail Connector Trail, Spence Ridge Trail, Spence Ridge Trail / Table Rock Gap Trail Connector Trail, Table Rock Gap Trail, Table Rock Summit Trail, Shortoff Mountain Trail, Mountains-To-Sea Trail, Lead Mine Trail, Linville Gorge Trail, and Pine Gap Trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

The middle of the Long Trail, from Lincoln Gap to Smuggler's Notch. Lots of varied terrain, open summits and ridgelines, rock scrambles, even some decent fishing. Go midweek to avoid crowds on the major summits. Many of the shelters are situated with nice sunset or sunrise views.

I am quite fond of the Riga Plateau in Northern CT/Southern MA as use this area as go-to hikes. The plateau spans from Salisbury CT to South Egremont MA with a number of trails and about 14 or so named summits on the plateau itself.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    We might be close to ties on the Grand Canyon thing.... I can count right around 35 trips to the bottom over the last 20 years. It just doesn't get old. Going back again this fall, after having done a trip in January already.

Besides that mega-repeat, I suppose my biggest thing would be the nearby 14ers here in Colorado, like Greys/Torreys/Bierstadt/Pikes/Elbert, all of which I've been up at least 20 times each. They just don't get old. Extremely crowded these days, but not bad on weekdays or in the winter (all of these have safe winter routes).
    I have only done Pike's Peak once, but enjoyed the hike. My wife and I spent the night at Barr Camp. I have hiked a lot in Colorado.
    Shutterbug

For an easier day, Amicalola to Springer and back or Hike Inn loop.
    For a difficult day, Newfound Gap(or Alum Cave) to somewhere and back.
    For an overseas trip the Fjordland region of NZ or Lac Blanc in French Alps because those are the only ones I’ve been to more than once and would return to if anywhere near the area.

Journal Entries

Honey Creek Loop in Big South Fork. Taking a group up there in a few weeks. Must be our 20th trip by now. Always fun.

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    For an easier day, Amicalola to Springer and back or Hike Inn loop.
    For a difficult day, Newfound Gap(or Alum Cave) to somewhere and back.
    For an overseas trip the Fjordland region of NZ or Lac Blanc in French Alps because those are the only ones I’ve been to more than once and would return to if anywhere near the area.
    I have only done one overseas hike more than once -- Salkanty Inca Trail. It is a REI Sponsored hike. We enjoyed the first hike so much that we took a group back to do it a second time.
    Shutterbug

Images

Since moving to PA several years ago I do the Pine Creek/West Rim loop at least once a year as well as the Four state challenge yo-yo.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Honey Creek Loop in Big South Fork. Taking a group up there in a few weeks. Must be our 20th trip by now. Always fun.
    Big South Fork is a great place. As is the BMT. My favorite "go to" hiking spots are fairly accessible and infrequently traveled. BSF and BMT fit those requirements. I enjy places where one can go for a week or more without seeing someone else.

Newfound Gap in Great Smoky Mountain NP along the AT northbound to Hot Springs, NC. About 70 miles. The part in the Park is high, remarkably remote, and relatively underpopulated by Park standards. Out of the Park, Max Patch is not far north, 360 degree views on a clear day. Hot Springs is a great trail town.

Default What are your "Go To" hikes?

Mt Mitchell and the Black Mountain Crest Trail. A truly splendid place to hike. I only wish I lived closer. I would go weekly.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I have only done one overseas hike more than once -- Salkanty Inca Trail. It is a REI Sponsored hike. We enjoyed the first hike so much that we took a group back to do it a second time.
    Wonderland (just got an email saying my permit request could not be filled) and Salkantay are on my list to do. I did Inka, Colca and Lake T last year as an intro to Peru but Patagonia is ahead of it on the list. I wouldn’t mind doing the GC again if I could get permits for some of the Utah Park hikes.

Hmm permits..I’m starting to see why my recurring hikes are trending overseas

That depends on what time of the year. If it's Dec/Jan, my go to is Cumberland Island trail and you camp underneath in live oaks of the marine forest. If you haven't done it before, you need to do it soon. Because CONgree decided to remove the forest from the national wilderness designation a couple years ago. The reason is some guy wants to make money from running tourism there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Since moving to PA several years ago I do the Pine Creek/West Rim loop at least once a year as well as the Four state challenge yo-yo.
    I have the West Rim Trail on my todo list for this year.

Otherwise, my "Go To" is a weird combination of State Game Lands, State Forest, Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, and the Hamburg Reservoir. Three vistas, boulder scrambles, a stop for frozen treats, knee high grass for extreme tick exposure, and loads of people walking their sketchy dogs.

Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama, many trips there....also the Foothills Trail North/South Carolina.
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Images

In NH: Pemi Loop, Franconia Loop
    In OK: Ouachita Trail

In my "Go To" hikes I listed only backpacking hikes. I have other favorite day hikes:
    Roxborough State Park near Denver is my all-time favorite day hike. In the winter, I hike the Old Baldy Trail in the Santa Rita Mountains of Arizona.
    Shutterbug

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++