WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dude Wipes and the trail

Today, on my maintenance section in Cold Spring Twp, Lebanon County, PA, between Yellow Spring hollow and the village, right beside the trail, someone thought it was a good idea to leave a pile of Dude Wipes, and its wrapper (for easy identification).

Duuuude, if you leave that plasticky and foil stuff in the woods, it doesn't magically disappear - someone, such as a volunteer trail maintainer, has to pick it up and put it in the ziplock bag that you should have used.

Plus, I do verily believe any dude who leaves wipes in the woods, thereby causes his member to shrivel up.

Images

I had to Google 'Dude Wipes' to see if this was really a thing. Apparently it is. Goodness, can all you Dandys just leave this crap at home when you go on a hike, or at least clean up after yourselves.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Unfortunately, those who leave that kind of stuff behind are as removed from any message regarding their behavior as Earth is from the Kuiper Belt, never mind this forum. The tenets of Leave No Trace are well known by most here and examples like this are fodder for discussion in support of LTN. The problem remains is with those who do not believe in LTN, are not aware of LTN, or just care.

Like many things in a society, one on one discussion to curb behavior issues tends to have the highest value. I have come to the opinion the best way to address this kind of thing is in the moment it occurs and say something. I don't necessarily blame people for not speaking up in some circumstances like a shelter full of youngsters drinking beer, but I have seen parents with kids dropping snack wrappers on summits where a word to parents in front of the kids is extremely effective. Though some would say its rude to say anything, to me silence is acceptance and responsible, in part, for that continued behavior.

Somehow everyone seems to know that this dude left his wipes out on purpose. It’s inconceivable that anyone would accidentally leave anything behind. Maybe this is a new marketing campaign by Dude Wipes. It’s Dude Wipes Trail Magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a photo and posted it to Facebook, showing the open wrapper, the pile, and a white blaze, and tagged "DUDE Products". Most likely it had been out during at least one rain, there had been solid rain hereabouts on Friday and I saw it Sunday morning. So, no, the perp wasn't caught in the act. I still have the ziplock bag I put the stuff in, but today's trash day.

Leonidas

Pretty sure I recall a couple of female YouTubers/bloggers mention that they were using dude wipes so it might not be a dude that left the mess.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Wow. They marketed baby wipes as manly and charged double. And people buy it. And leave it as trash for others to pack out. Just ... Wow.

On my last trip, after climbing up to the ridge-line I thought I saw a stubborn spot of snow sitting on the edge of the trail. As I got closer I realized it was somebody's turd pile with a toilet paper bush sitting on top. No attempt had been made to get off the trail or cover over the mess. The amount of paper used must have been the equivalent to half a roll.

I would rather find some discarded foil but neither should be found.

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    Wow. They marketed baby wipes as manly and charged double. And people buy it. And leave it as trash for others to pack out. Just ... Wow.
    Pretty much. When I was throwing out the ziplock I saw the wrapper also said "flushable." It might as well say "edible," in that in both cases one might physically be able both to flush and to eat them, but the downstream effects of either activity are not good. Pack 'em out and bin the wipes. (NOT in the privy, either!)

++ New Posts ++