WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Stupid Map question and mice on the CDT

Hey guys!

I have seen so many questions similar but not exactly what I am looking for so I am sorry for the annoyance. I printed out (and donated of coarse) the Ley Maps as a backup if my phone dies, but I will mainly use guthook for my 2018 Sobo thru hike. Do both Ley maps and Bear Creek maps have the same route? I tried to compare the similarity of guthook vs Ley Maps and there seems to be a few differences in routing (where the trail is) (I could be completely wrong about this I still have yet to learn map and compass.) I guess Im just asking if what I will be using a good combo?

Last question. I have the Fly Creek HV UL 1. I like this tent, Ive spent a month using it on the AT. But I usually sleep with my pack inside my tent. It is a bit cramped in there so I was thinking if I could put the rain cover on the pack and put it on the ground with the waist buckles facing upwards, under the rain fly, still outside of the actual tent. I fear that mice will eat theyre way through the bag though and I want to know if you guys think of this.

Thanks for your time!!

Default Stupid Map question and mice on the CDT

Is your food and cookware in your pack?
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

My food and cookware would be in my tent with me

Quote Originally Posted by paulcoiron View Post
    My food and cookware would be in my tent with me
    I think your pack will be safe then.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    I think your pack will be safe then.
    And you, your food and the grizzly will be safe inside your tent.

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    And you, your food and the grizzly will be safe inside your tent.
    Only when he gets closer to Canada, ay?

I wouldn’t sleep with your food anywhere in the Rockies.

Beware the crazy moose at the Big Sandy Trailhead.
    Wayne

Mice are a bigger problem than bears IMHO. I have had them gnaw into food bags, through plastic tubes to get to peanut butter, etc. My buds have had holes gnawed in packs and tents. Best to keep food out of the tent and best to hang your food even if only a few feet off the ground. The little buggers are everywhere and everywhere they are they are hungry

...Do both Ley maps and Bear Creek maps have the same route? I tried to compare the similarity of guthook vs Ley Maps and there seems to be a few differences in routing (where the trail is) (I could be completely wrong about this I still have yet to learn map and compass.) I guess Im just asking if what I will be using a good combo?

No. Based on what I've seen no two CDT mapsets Guthooks, Ley's, Bear Creeks, and a couple of others have all the same routes. From all I've seen Ley's CDT mapset has the most different routes. Ley regular updates his CDT mapset every yr making yearly changes of new routes and added notes. I found Ley's notes extremely helpful. Bear Creek maps is designed by cartographer Jerry Brown. I haven't seen his 2018 CDT book but with 140 pages it's my guess Jerry has put together a fair amount of alternates also. Everything I've seen of Bear Creek maps has been above average.

Since it has been so historically rare for two CDT thru-hikers to do the exact same routes, although that may be changing due to an increasing number - a LOT - of cookie cutter LD hiking agendas what maps one CDTer might use or want depends on what one's CDT goals are. For example, my CDT goals centered around as many ridge line higher elev alternates, including through G NP, Bob Marshall, Anaconda-Pintler, Yellowstone NP, Teton NP, Wind River, Malpais, etc and added scenic sites as possible while sometimes engaging in doing two different routes to compare the differences between two CDT pts. I never had the goal of "get er dun." I went out to wander, to see what I could see. I used Leys CDT mapset, most of the maps Yogi suggests in her CDT Guidebook(I'm a map person as Jackie is AND I want to see the big picture on a CDT hike!), and some of Wolf's CDT books. I didn't have all these always on the trail though. I had no GPS. I like practicing paper map and compass skills rather than be totally rely on electronics.

Last question. I have the Fly Creek HV UL 1. I like this tent, Ive spent a month using it on the AT. But I usually sleep with my pack inside my tent. It is a bit cramped in there so I was thinking if I could put the rain cover on the pack and put it on the ground with the waist buckles facing upwards, under the rain fly, still outside of the actual tent. I fear that mice will eat theyre way through the bag though and I want to know if you guys think of this.

I had far fewer mice issues on the CDT than the AT. Rarely on that CDT SOBO did I camp at beaten down highly used CS's as the AT. No lean to's - no AT shelters means human impact is less concentrated. I do not suggest sleeping with your food or pack in Grizzly territory.

Do not store your food and cookware in your tent in Grizz land.

Might as well throw this map set into the pile. Free maps are always a good thing.
    http://continentaldividetrail.org/maps/
    Have fun!
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++