WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have a TT Notch. It geys packed last. I roll it up, put it in its bag, and pack in the outer pouch on the back of the pack. Same routine if wer, dry, or damp.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Where the wet tent goes depends on the season, but if it's inside the pack, it's inside its stuff sack and outside the trash compactor bag that I use as a pack liner. I'd rather have it in the shovel pocket or bungeed onto the pack, but if I've got other gear racked there, then inside it goes.

My Notch lets me take down the inner tent with the fly still pitched, and in a heavy downpour I'll do just that, and put just the inner tent in the pack, with fly (and footprint if I'm using one) outside.

The silnylon fly doesn't usually get that wet, give it a good shake and it sheds most of the water.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Tent goes into the bag it came in.
    Then into plastic bag inside the pack.

Images

Tent gets strapped to the outside of my pack, opposite from my therm-a-rest. No big deal if they get wet.

On the other hand, sleeping bag goes in the very bottom in a waterproof sack. BIG deal if that gets wet.
    It's all good in the woods.

I stuff my tent in the pack last because that's normally the first thing I deal with when I get to camp. I cut a trash compactor bag down to a smaller size to keep it separate when it gets wet. When I switched from an external frame to internal in 1995 this is what the salesman recommended and i haven't seen any reason to change it.

Similar to others, I try to lash it to the outside to let it dry or easily access it to spread it out during a snack break.

If it's not raining when packing up I dry out shelter by laying out a tent(for me it's primarily a tarp which dries faster than tents) and wiping it down. When possible at around 10-11 a.m if it's not wet I'll lay wet stuff out further if it needs to it. Wet tarps are stored in an outside shovel pocket. When tarps are wet they dont usually get stuffed into a stuff sack. If it's an anticipated very wet weather outing I'll have a pack liner and pack cover and maybe even a few WP or highly WR stuff sacks. A wet tarp stored in the shovel pocket under a properly fitted pack cover can have my tarp and other things dry by the end of a all day walking in the rain all day. It's one reason why I still use pack covers.

I stuff mine into a sightly oversized stuff sack (not dry sack). Compresses easier for packing. Dry tent goes inside the pack. Wet tent goes in the outside gear pocket.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++