WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Any word on the whereabouts of Pappy? Did he finish?

At 87 years young, he would set a new record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My friend who’s currently thru hiking just posted a picture of him with Pappy while in Andover, ME. This was 2-3 days ago.

Isn't he supposed to be Southbound on a flip-flop? Regardless, another record about to be broken....just imagine what the Trail would be without these record-setting thru hikers....they deserve all the accolades they get, and then some!
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Yes, we met Cimmaron in the southern Appalachians, NC I believe. He was moving pretty slow when we saw him, but he was movin. He had a lady called dream catcher or something helping him out.

These oldsters are not to be underestimated. I met Attilla the Hun in Maine back in 2007. He was old, weak, and ill, and took a lot of medicine but I believe he did finish. We met him several times because he would shuttle his car and then walk back (south) to it. Whatta guy.

There’s an Instagram account with some details and photos:
    PappyOnTheAT

And folks sometimes are using #GoPappyGo in their pics with Pappy.

Mahoosic Notch in the rain per Instagram... heading southbound (part of his flip flop)

Look who we ran into today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Pappy was hiking down from Carters...next range is the Presidential Range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

I was curious about Pappy's progress. He is the 87 year old hiker attempting a thru-hike. Well, I went to his Facebook page and it appears he cut his leg pretty bad. It looks like he is off the trail and if that is true, that's it for the year as weather closes in. I think he stopped in New Hampshire.

Anyone know any more? I could be assuming too much here and I'm just wondering if anyone has the facts. It does look like Grey Beards record of last year will stand, though.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

You can watch that video on Facebook for more info.
    He hiked 1500 miles total until an old knee injury slowed him so much he wouldn’t have been able to finish his flip-flop.

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    He hiked 1500 miles total until an old knee injury slowed him so much he wouldn’t have been able to finish his flip-flop.
    Wow! It's still a great accomplishment. I was trying to finish the trail this year but only got 595 miles to Gorham, NH (I'm a LASHer). The Whites killed me. I'm going back next year and I'm really apprehensive about Maine. This thing with Pappy does not instill confidence.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."

Images

Pappy is Bad-Ass... period, full stop.

I'm really apprehensive about Maine...
    I hiked Gorham to Katahdin in my 70s, and you can do it too. I did it in chunks (Gorham to Caratunk, Caratunk to base of Katahdin, and last summer, Katahdin summit. I took my time, doing maybe 6-7 mpd for most of it and 10 mpd after Whiteface. Just take your time, and enjoy the spectacular scenery.

When I first heard/read that when you get to NH (NoBo) you have done 80% of the AT distance but only 20% of the effort, I thought it was a little over the top.
    Now I know first hand it is true, and still plan to finish those last 340 miles this coming summer.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I hiked Gorham to Katahdin in my 70s, and you can do it too. I did it in chunks (Gorham to Caratunk, Caratunk to base of Katahdin, and last summer, Katahdin summit. I took my time, doing maybe 6-7 mpd for most of it and 10 mpd after Whiteface. Just take your time, and enjoy the spectacular scenery.
    I really wanted to finish this year, 2018. It would have been a little over a 900 mile section to finish the entire trail in three years. Now I'm thinking I may split the last 315 miles into two years. I'll see how things go when I get back on the trail toward the end of June. Thanks for the motivation, tiptoe. I know I can finish especially if Pappy can get through Maine and you did it in your 70's. I'll be 70 when I finish.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++