Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Suggestions for a Down Jacket

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Sierras in early September. She needs a down jacket. We don't have much experience with down garments and thought we would ask for your help. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawoods View Post
    My wife and I are planning a trip to the Sierras in early September. She needs a down jacket. We don't have much experience with down garments and thought we would ask for your help. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
    The very thin down jackets are wildly popular, and pointless in the wilds. Get something with at least a few ounces of 8OO+ fill down. Maybe this https://www.rei.com/product/117956/p...-jacket-womens
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Default Suggestions for a Down Jacket

Why do you say they are pointless? I loved mine on my hike, never had to be overly cautious around sharp plants or fires and it kept me warm when I needed it to. Isn't that the "point" of a down jacket? And only at a handful of ounces!

I was thinking about a light down jacket like the Montbell Superior Down with some kind of windshirt on top as needed for around camp and on breaks. When or if it gets too cold--into the sleeping bag. But I am very interested to learn what the women in this community suggest or what the wives/girlfriends of posters have liked/disliked.

Mtn. Hardwear Ghost Whisperer, the Mont Bell Superior, the Arcterex Cerium and Patagonia are all popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Martzy13 View Post
    Why do you say they are pointless? I loved mine on my hike, never had to be overly cautious around sharp plants or fires and it kept me warm when I needed it to. Isn't that the "point" of a down jacket? And only at a handful of ounces!
    The warmth for weight isn't much better than a fleece (which is better in wet and is cheap) and nowhere near that of a nice fat down jacket. For dry, cool weather, of for in-town wear, they have a place, I suppose.

Images

My wife lovers her Montbell UL Down Inner, which was replaced by the Superior Down jacket in the lineup. She takes it on every hike - very useful. Warmer and lighter than a fleece, packs down smaller. I think the Montbell stuff is the sweet spot for features vs weight vs price.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Take a look at My Trail. Good selection and reasonable prices.

Journal Entries

I'am wondering why it has to be a coat? I dress in layers which allows me to remove clothes as needed. I have adown vest to wear if it gets extremely cold and if it also raining, I can open the pit zips and with no sleeves, I can vent the without having to remove a bunch of clothes. YMMV
    Blackheart

patagonia down jacket, pricey, but have had it for years. wont go hiking without it. warm light, can get on sale at 1/2 price if you watch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawoods View Post
    Pay close attention to down fill weight fill power, and down to feather ratio.

I would take at least 800 fill power, 3.5-oz down with at least 80% down to feather ratio.

To save weight, you can do ultralight 7D face fabric, but I prefer something a little more durable.

Check out Mont-Bell ( http://www.montbell.us ) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner2017 View Post
    Pay close attention to down fill weight fill power, and down to feather ratio.

I would take at least 800 fill power, 3.5-oz down with at least 80% down to feather ratio.

To save weight, you can do ultralight 7D face fabric, but I prefer something a little more durable.

Check out Mont-Bell ( http://www.montbell.us ) as well.
    Those are some mighty temping garments.

You can buy really nice ones on Aliexpress.com for $25 all day long. Will take a few weeks to arrive, but for the $, you dont have to worry about damaging them. Quality is high. Pay attention to the sizing charts, they are accurate, but different from US sizing.

You can also check out what Andrew Skurka's suggestions. He recommends Montbell Superior Down Parka.

https://andrewskurka.com/2017/backpa...west-3-season/

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    The warmth for weight isn't much better than a fleece (which is better in wet and is cheap) and nowhere near that of a nice fat down jacket. For dry, cool weather, of for in-town wear, they have a place, I suppose.
    The Sierra is......dry low humidity

With night temps down to 25-30 in august, a very light puffy with 1.8 oz down,. And a 4oz polartec long sleeve top, works for me. It quickly warms to day temps up to 90 depending on el... You don't actually wear the down that much. A few moments in the morning really on on coldest mornings. This is comfortable around 30 to 35 degrees with minimal activity for a while. After several hours I get pretty cold .

Sept will be a tad cooler. Id still bring the 1.8 oz of down fill top, and layer that with my 10 ounce 100 weight fleece hoodie. This works for me down to temperatures of about 20-25 at night. Occasionally colder down to 15. If it's consistently below 20 at night or in 20s all day, that when I begin bringing a parka wirh 3.5 oz down. I still have the fleece hoodie that it's paired with.. this combo is comfortable in camp at 25 degrees.

But the warmth for weight of a UL down jacket is way . better than fleece. My Montbell ul weighs 5.9 oz with 1.8 oz fill. By itself probably good to about 40 f. Paired with light fleece, good to freezing for a while with minimal activity. Takes up a fraction of the space in the pack is fleece as well.

I really can't offer any advice to women on a specific jacket. But I'm a big fan of most things Montbell for value/wt/performance.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-29-2018 at 00:55.

Images

Montbell for me, tougher than you might expect for the weight. I don't hang out at campfires with it, 3 years old zero damage.

Montbell round neck jacket. 6 ounces, snaps. No frills but worth the weight to me.

How is the sizing on the Mont Bell USA site? Do I need to convert it? In other words is a large in Mont Bell's similar to a large in say Mountain Hardwear in regards to their down garments?

The sizing on its US size is US sizing unless it specifies Asian sizing particularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADK Walker View Post
    How is the sizing on the Mont Bell USA site? Do I need to convert it? In other words is a large in Mont Bell's similar to a large in say Mountain Hardwear in regards to their down garments?

Price wise the REI woman’s down is a great deal.

I own and like my men’s version.

https://www.rei.com/product/878094/r...-jacket-womens

That said my wife has a ghost whisperer which cost five times as much.

There is a huge range in price in this area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++