WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MSR WindBurner stove system

Wondering if anyone out there is using the MSR WinBurner stove system? I would love to read your input/opinions/experiences before separating myself from $150.00 + tax.

I don't own one, but have used one a little. It is pretty much as advertised, effective, highly wind resistant, pretty good heat control with it regulator, heavyish, requires lighting with a match or bic as a piezo doesn't work with it. It cannot use pots other than the MSR system pots, although an adapter may be coming out soon. MSR makes good and reliable gear. I've never bought a WindBurner because I don't like the weight (I have two jetboil stoves I rarely use for the same reason) and I manage my wind quite effectively in other secret and special ways.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Great stove, will boil water in a hurricane. MSR took the Jetboil concept and improved it, better cup design, lid, etc. The downsides are that it has only two settings, blazing inferno and off. It’s also heavy. A better choice, if you’re going solo, is the Jetboil Micromo. But, for two people , where your mainly gonna make freeze dried meals, you can’t go wrong with the Windburner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I manage my wind quite effectively in other secret and special ways.

This seems to be the biggest mystery in all of stovedom.

Minimal engagement of grey matter to save a significant chunk of weight, but whatevs....

Once I rigged up a hanging heat shield for my pocket rocket, wind really wasn't an issue.

Yes, you can't go wrong with MSR. And I like that for extra $20.00 you can buy the coffee press and have real coffee on the trail. but all that weight.....

Thank you folks for your present and future reply. Gonna do some thinking before my July - August hike.

++ New Posts ++