WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking For New 3-Season Tent

Looking for recommendations for lightweight roomy 1-person or normal sized 2-person tent to be used in the NE. I'd like to get the Zpacks Duplex but not sure I want to spend that wapum.

Thanks

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Consider Tarptent. They're around half the cost of Zpacks and used to be strongly recommended here in the forum.
    Then there's the good old Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. Still pretty pricey, but I love mine as a 1 person tent.
    Beyond that, watch for sales (though Christmas to Easter is the best time to find some clearance deals).

I’m very satisfied with my MSR HUBBA HUBBA NX 2 person and TarpTent StratoSpire 1 tents.
    I used the SS 1 rainfly alone last September in Wyoming. A 21 ounce shelter was very nice.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

The REI QuarterDomes are excelent tents, very similar to the BA copper spurs, while being a couple oz heavier to make them a bit more robust (stouter zippers and poles). The current model QuarterDome 1 is the only one-person tent I've ever been in that I would consider comfortable enough (big enough?) for my large body to live in on an extended trip.

Also, if you are liking the idea of the Z-packs Duplex, how about the Tarptent Notch or Tarptent StratoSpire2?
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Forgot to mention I'm about 5'9" and 165lbs...not sure if that matters.

The notch is excellent.

For more space consider the lightheart hear solong 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    Forgot to mention I'm about 5'9" and 165lbs...not sure if that matters.
    I’m very nearly the same size.
    The SS 1 is spacious. The MSR is good for 2 people. The vertical sidewalls of both tents provide more living space than the floor dimensions would indicate. The doors are easy to enter and exit. The vestibules provide storage space for gear.
    Wayne

Just get zpacks duplex and eliminate second guessing and regrets from your life.

I have a Notch, which I like very much, but I wouldn't call it very roomy. I do like the generous vestibules.

I'm just learning about Tarptents and am having difficulty in understanding the Notch, Rainbow and ProTrail. Do these tents have true bathtub floors? Do you have to do anything extra to get the floor to "work". There are options for screens, etc. which I don't follow. I just want to take a tent out of its bag and put it up. I don't want to have to "build" it every time I put it up. Why don't they sell the tents seam sealed?

If you like the design of the Zpacks but not the price tag take at Tarptent. I transferred from Tarptent to zpacks solely due to weight savings. I have not been disappointed in any other areas. (Yes a VS review of the two is still on the way lol)
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    I'm just learning about Tarptents and am having difficulty in understanding the Notch, Rainbow and ProTrail. Do these tents have true bathtub floors? Do you have to do anything extra to get the floor to "work". There are options for screens, etc. which I don't follow. I just want to take a tent out of its bag and put it up. I don't want to have to "build" it every time I put it up. Why don't they sell the tents seam sealed?
    Perhaps you should read a few reviews and watch videos of the tents in action. They all have bathtub floors that “work” without any bother on the part of the owner.
    The Notch is a double wall tent. The rainfly and inner tent set up together. The inner tent body is available in 2 versions: mesh with bathtub floor or nylon fabric with mesh windows and bathtub floor. The rainfly can be used alone. The inner tent body can be used alone.
    The Rainbow and ProTrail are single wall tents.
    Zpacks are single wall tents.
    TarpTents are seam sealed. A $35 option. I sealed my StratoSpire in a morning. Saved a few $$s.
    Call Henry Shires at TarpTent. He will answer all of your questions.
    Wayne

One of many videos at TarpTent.com.
    https://www.tarptent.com/ttvideos.html
    Wayne

There are clear set-up videos for every tent imaginable. No tent is going to pitch itself (except those stupid-heavy novelty pop-up toys).

I would opt for having it seam sealed by the seller. Worth every penny IMO. Of course the Duplex (Solplex, Altaplex, etc) needs no seam sealing.

Images

The Zpacks tents are really quite excellent. Worth the money if you have it to spend. (I realize not everyone does.)

For a solo tent, the Tarptent Notch is a good choice -- it's well under two pounds, has doors on the long sides for easy entry and exit, two big vestibules for gear storage, and costs about half of what a Zpacks tent does.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++