WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Current CT,MA,VT conditions?

Any WBers able to give a first hand update on conditions in lower New England? Thanks!

Can't answer about MA & VT but the trails in CT are clear of snow. Some are muddy but that is not unusual in Spring, which has finally arrived.

Images

i am particularly interested in knowing snow coverage if any from Gulf Rd Dalton Nobo to VT line as I have some sections planned to finish MA in May. Hear its going to be high 60s+ in the next week so hopefully there will be no snow left by then.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Journal Entries

MA, take dirt, add water & stir.

Its raining more sun tomorrow.

Still snow on Mt Greylock. Probably around a foot in the shadier spots, but well consolidated. I have not been up there yet, but last Sunday I was North of Dalton, snow began at around 1800ft. Easily walkable, crusty in the AM, soft in the afternoon. No special gear needed, but expect wet feet.

Cosmo

tyringham ma 4/22 - muddy in the usual wet spots, some patchy snow (probably gone now) near webster rd. lots of blowdown to deal with on the less used sections.

greylock (via rd) 4/26 - consistent snow cover started on road at ~2700'. deep in shaded spots and bare in others. i would guess a little more snow in woods depending on direction and tree cover, but as cosmo said shouldn't need traction or gear.

sages ravine to mt everett 4/28 - tiny patches of snow in sages ravine and N side of everett but nothing to worry about. some mud between race and everett but nothing crazy.

The Long Trail and AT are poor candidates for a hike in VT right now due to mud season now. The Green Mountain Club who maintains trails asks higher elevation trails not be used until the end of May to reduce damage. Mud season prohibition typically ends around Memorial Day, but that can change with each year. Their website has a list of recommended trails that can be hiked over the next four weeks if interested. To get current trail conditions and warnings, you can call the GMC at 802 244 7037.

Thank you for the updates.

Yup, we got lots of blowdowns pretty much everywhere, the March stroms were pretty intense. Should pretty much have things cleared by mid-month. Just in time for the blackflies....

Upper Goose Pond Cabin opens on May 12th.

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by greatexpectations View Post
    tyringham ma 4/22 - muddy in the usual wet spots, some patchy snow (probably gone now) near webster rd. lots of blowdown to deal with on the less used sections.

greylock (via rd) 4/26 - consistent snow cover started on road at ~2700'. deep in shaded spots and bare in others. i would guess a little more snow in woods depending on direction and tree cover, but as cosmo said shouldn't need traction or gear.

sages ravine to mt everett 4/28 - tiny patches of snow in sages ravine and N side of everett but nothing to worry about. some mud between race and everett but nothing crazy.

++ New Posts ++