WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Just a few notes for you. I used to just use a single hiking stick all the time, but once I tried the poles I was hooked and have only used then since.
    As to hanging your food, in NJ it depends on where you are staying. In NJ, I believe all the shelters, plus the camp ground by Sunfish Pond, have bear boxes, eliminating the need to hang. Of course if using a tent site, then you will want to hang.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmarWinfield View Post
    I'm glad to hear that there's usually always someone on the trail, almost all of the youtube videos I have seen so far of people on the trail is from thru-hikers and I guess I was under the false impression that no one ever used the trail during the off seasons when people weren't thru-hiking.
    Millions of people hike at least a few miles on the Appalachian Trail every year. Only a few thousand are attempting a thru hike, and most of those attempts aren't successful.

I don't think it would be possible to hike a full day through any of the more popular areas of the trail and not see another person.

I tend to just use a stick myself too, don't worry about it. The trekking poles are lighter and you get a little better balance with two poles than one stick. But on the other hand, they have a tendency to snap if you put the end down in a hole between two rocks and keep moving. If you snap a stick then you find another one in a mile or two

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlmarWinfield View Post
    If I had to pick I would go during the fall as you suggested, particularly on a week that there was no rain anywhere near jersey. I'm glad to hear that there's usually always someone on the trail, almost all of the youtube videos I have seen so far of people on the trail is from thru-hikers and I guess I was under the false impression that no one ever used the trail during the off seasons when people weren't thru-hiking.
    That's the only time you'll see me on the AT. When the thru-hiker bubble is coming through, I hike elsewhere.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Everyone is a section hiker until they make it to the end. Through hikers are not celebrities, they are the same as everyone else. As for shelters I can't say. I avoid them. I prefer a nice hand right off the trail.
    If you really feel the need just declare yourself a through hiker. Who will know, the only folk who will care have their priorities mixed up anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++