WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hard to do laundry/buy fuel in NY?

I'm doing my first long section hike this summer, starting in NW MA and hiking south for as far as I can get in two months (June and July). When closely reading AWOL's guide and the ATC guide, I realized that there are very few coin laundries or lodging options that offer laundry service in New York state. Also, the opportunity for fuel (isobutane canister) resupply in NY seems very limited and may require significant (>5 miles) off-trail excursions to access.

I know that NOBO thrus can hike superhuman distances by the time they reach NY, but I won't be at that capacity after just one month on the trail. I estimate that I will be maxing out my stamina at about 10 miles per day.

So my questions: Are there more (and more-easily accessed) places to buy canister fuel and do laundry in NY than the guidebooks show? Or do I need to make peace with the prospect of unrelieved clothing stinkiness and carrying 2 or more fuel canisters at a time to get through the state? (I do realize that neither of this things is a fatal condition(!), and I'm doing my dream hike either way, but I'm curious about this.)

Thanks for advice,
    Michelle

Journal Entries

NY is my home state, on my thru I was taken in by friends all but one night in NY, so didn't need to experience that aspect personally, but here is my take on what I would start with and expect to find them. Somewhere in CT, perhaps Salisbury, or Kent there should be canisters, then just over the boarder, the florest near the AT trail station or nearby off trail in Wingdale which is a bit off trail but you can camp in town in a park. Fahnstock camp store at the beach may have them. AT deli on RT9 almost certainly has them and this is at about the 1/2 through NY part, Bear Mtn Inn may, nearby town of Fort Mongumerary also is a option. From then on I don't recall anything of notice till Greenwood Lake which has a trail from the ridge line into town.

So it looks like plenty of options, though now it would be plan ahead and prepare time to find out if any of these actually have them, but with that said the AT deli is at the 1/2 point and right on trail, if they do you don't need 2 canisters as you should be able to make it 1/2 through the state on one easy.

To start I would contact the Garden shop at the AT railroad station, AT deli, Bear Mtn Inn, as those all are right on trail.

Journal Entries

Add to that short list the Fahnstock camp store at the beach, short side trail, and the swim at the lake.

As for Laundry IDK, was not high on my priority list during my thru, it was just something that I used when available, not something I looked or planned for.

Journal Entries

Not in NY, but nearby in CT: Bearded Woods Hostel. Hudson is very familiar with that section and can help make your journey easier. 860-480-2966.

I did laundry at the Dutchess motel in Pawling, NY and didn't again until Vernon, NJ.

The Dutchess is wash only, air dry. So if its a rainy day then you would have to hang up in your room.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Many hotels have a washer and dryer. But I have had a lot of success washing my clothes in my hotel room and hanging them up to dry overnight. I use this system for regular travel now, too, especially longer trips when I don't want to carry a ton of extra clothing.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Many hotels have a washer and dryer. But I have had a lot of success washing my clothes in my hotel room and hanging them up to dry overnight. I use this system for regular travel now, too, especially longer trips when I don't want to carry a ton of extra clothing.
    I term I learned at Greasy Creek Friendly is "Cowboy showering" Basically get in the shower with all your hiking clothes on, san shoes. Soap like you are washing yourself, but you are washing your clothes, when done remove a layer, repeat till you are washing you skin. Rinse and dry (or rinse, wring and hang to dry).

Images

Yup, that's exactly what I do.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Also can use a large ziploc bag with water and a few drops of Dawn or Lemon Joy.

Images

We hiked through NY last year and had no problems doing laundry or obtaining canister fuel. Many hotels along the trail will either have a washer/ dryer for your use or will do your laundry for you for a small fee.

Images

Although Greymoor Spiritual Life Center (aka seminary) no longer takes in hikers for housing and feeding, I contacted them about being paying guests. They were happy to have us stay, for a modest charge. The reason I mention this is that the women's dormitory bathroom included a washer and dryer, which we used. Good reason to hike with women in the group!

You might contact them and simply ask?
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Although Greymoor Spiritual Life Center (aka seminary) no longer takes in hikers for housing and feeding, I contacted them about being paying guests. They were happy to have us stay, for a modest charge. The reason I mention this is that the women's dormitory bathroom included a washer and dryer, which we used. Good reason to hike with women in the group!

You might contact them and simply ask?
    I didn't know that was possible anymore, glad to read that, it does sound like a excellent and workable concept.

Do they still allow camping at the pavilion and recharging devices there?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Do they still allow camping at the pavilion and recharging devices there?
    We stayed about 3 or 4 years ago and yes, we could have camped on the grounds (not sure where exactly), for free. Don't know about recharging.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    We stayed about 3 or 4 years ago and yes, we could have camped on the grounds (not sure where exactly), for free. Don't know about recharging.
    The pavilion was one of my favorite nights on the trail so far. Kinda reminded me of my old scout days. That non heated shower was brisk in mid October haha
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Thank you all for your help! I am grateful for all of your input, ideas, and advice. The info about Greymoor Spiritual Life Center was an unexpected bonus. I will definitely contact them to see about paying for a night on their property. And I will call the other businesses you recommended for fuel, laundry info. Thanks again!

++ New Posts ++