Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Registered User Bearded_Shrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-17-2017
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Age
    39
    Posts
    43

    Question 250 lbs + air pad sleepers

    Looking for recommendations from the BIG guys/gals that use air pads.

    What sleeping position do you sleep?

    Give me you input.

    Thank you,
    BS

  2. #2

    Default

    Side sleeper. I've used the Nemo Tensor for several dozen nights and been comfortable.

  3. #3
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Join Date
    02-25-2007
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,244
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    5

    Default

    I used to be a stomach sleeper, and HATED the standard 20" wide 2" thick pad I used at the time because my arms would hang off the mat (stomach or back sleeping).
    So I purchased the NeoAir in a size large (25" wide 2.5" thick). Loved it. I've since become a side sleeper, meaning I could made due with a regular size, but I still find myself on my back occasionally, and it's nice not having my arms off the side of the pad.

  4. #4

    Default

    I was up to 240 lbs before I lost my weight. I used a big agnes qcore pad and it held up well. I have a buddy that is pushing 330 and when he goes with me he uses an exped synmat ul 7 LW and he hasn't had issues with it either.
    Trail Miles: 3,715.9
    AT Trips: 67
    AT Map 1 Completion: 1818.9 Springer, GA - Franconia Notch, NH
    AT Map 2 Completion: 263.8 Gaps From GA - PA

  5. #5

    Default

    I’m 6’2”, 255 and husky. I love the Nemo Tensor insulated regular sleeping pad. I’m a side sleeper and do not bottom out

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-21-2013
    Location
    FLorida
    Age
    45
    Posts
    86
    Images
    1

    Default

    +1 for the Neo Air 25 inch side sleeping is nice

  7. #7
    Registered User carouselambra's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-29-2012
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    100
    Images
    32

    Default

    Big Agnes Q-Core SL (Wide/Long version) works well for me. I am just under 250 now, but started using it when I was in the mid-260s.

  8. #8
    Registered User JPritch's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-03-2017
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    487

    Default

    I wish there was a UL 30" wide pad. I love my Nemo Tensor Insulated, but my comfort would really be dialed in if I had just a little more width because I toss and turn alot. The Klymit Static V Luxe is a bit heavy for my tastes.
    While searching for that unknown edge in life, never forget to look home. For the greatest edge you can find in life is to stand in the protective shadow of those who love you.

  9. #9
    Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2003
    Location
    Appalachian Ohio
    Posts
    4,373

    Default

    I’m over 250. Never seen a need for anything other than standard equipment. Neo Xtherm for me.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

    amongnature.blogspot.com

  10. #10
    Registered User Isa23's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-27-2015
    Location
    Augusta, Georgia
    Age
    31
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Over 250 as well and I also have the Neo XTherm Max just to get that 25" width. Wish I didn't have to get the extra length that comes along with it too but those are the only sizing options they have. I'm VERY curvy and the XTherm has allowed me to sleep on my side without ever feeling the ground beneath. And when I occasionally switch to my back during the night, it still does me well. I love mine.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-14-2016
    Location
    West-central Indiana
    Posts
    328

    Default

    I like the Sea to Summit Comfort Lite pads alot. I've used them when I was pushing 290 and even on my side, never touched the ground.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isa23 View Post
    Over 250 as well and I also have the Neo XTherm Max just to get that 25" width. Wish I didn't have to get the extra length that comes along with it too but those are the only sizing options they have. I'm VERY curvy and the XTherm has allowed me to sleep on my side without ever feeling the ground beneath. And when I occasionally switch to my back during the night, it still does me well. I love mine.
    I guess you missed the memo for the Xtherm Large. 25” wide. 20 ounces.
    Wayne

  13. #13
    Registered User Isa23's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-27-2015
    Location
    Augusta, Georgia
    Age
    31
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I guess you missed the memo for the Xtherm Large. 25” wide. 20 ounces.
    Wayne
    Misspoke on my part. I have the Large.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isa23 View Post
    Misspoke on my part. I have the Large.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I knew that! 😃
    After decades of sleepless nights, the Xtherm Large is fantastic for me. Sleep well!
    Wayne

  15. #15
    Registered User srestrepo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-28-2009
    Location
    Springfield, MA
    Age
    33
    Posts
    315
    Images
    9

    Default

    I use both the rei flash regular length wide and an exped synmat ul7 rel. Weighing anything between 365 and currently 250, I never had a problem with the exped. Now that I've lost some weight, the rei pad has been good to me as well.

  16. #16
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isa23 View Post
    Over 250 as well and I also have the Neo XTherm Max just to get that 25" width. Wish I didn't have to get the extra length that comes along with it too but those are the only sizing options they have. I'm VERY curvy and the XTherm has allowed me to sleep on my side without ever feeling the ground beneath. And when I occasionally switch to my back during the night, it still does me well. I love mine.
    After being told that I could remove the extra length from my Xtherm Large I did some measuring and calculating. The extra 6” that is tapered and rounded MIGHT weigh 1 to 1.5 ounces. Not worth loosing sleep over.
    6+ months on my Xtherm Large. Still loving it!
    Wayne

  17. #17
    Registered User Isa23's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-27-2015
    Location
    Augusta, Georgia
    Age
    31
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    After being told that I could remove the extra length from my Xtherm Large I did some measuring and calculating. The extra 6” that is tapered and rounded MIGHT weigh 1 to 1.5 ounces. Not worth loosing sleep over.
    6+ months on my Xtherm Large. Still loving it!
    Wayne
    My concerns regarding the length are not so much about the additional weight. It’s purely about the length. Those extra 5” makes it just a little less manageable when packing it up while inside my tent. Not a dealbreaker by any means but just a note.

    How is it possible to remove the extra length? (If you were given those details)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Registered User Isa23's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-27-2015
    Location
    Augusta, Georgia
    Age
    31
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isa23 View Post
    My concerns regarding the length are not so much about the additional weight. It’s purely about the length. Those extra 5” makes it just a little less manageable when packing it up while inside my tent. Not a dealbreaker by any means but just a note.

    How is it possible to remove the extra length? (If you were given those details)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Correction, about extra 10” more than I need. I’m only 5’5”


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,286

    Default

    Shortening the Xtherm. Cut and iron closed. Apparently there are videos online that explain everything.
    Wayne

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-26-2015
    Location
    Denver Colorado
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Try NeoAir Trekker 25-47-2.5, 3 ozs r=3

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •