Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
One other quick note on the permit thing.... I'm currently "on" the PCT heading NOBO (taking a couple weeks off for family matters, hence the quote marks). Heading back in a couple weeks and I want my wife to join me for quite a while, hopefully through CA to Oregon. So, just a couple days ago, from links on the PCTA website, I easily scored a PCT permit for her starting at Aqua Dolce (~mile 460) north to Canada. Meaning, she is totally legal for the PCT section that is also the JMT, at least to Tuolumne (where the JMT branches form the PCT).

So basically, if you're willing to exit NOBO at Tuolumne (or keeping on hiking on the PCT north from there), this is another way to be perfectly legal on the JMT/PCT.

Is it like the Smokies where you have to be ending and beginning your hike a certain distance outside the park?? We would really like to go SOBO. Any idea how much farther nobo from Yosemite the trailheads are? Ideally we would score permits for the next trailhead or two north of Yosmite and just head south from there..