WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default 2018 JMT Logistics and Ideas

Hello WB

So Ive been asking some questions over on Rainman's JMT thread and instead of hijacking his thread (sorry Rainman) I wanted to start one of my own.

We (buddy and I) did NOT get permits for the lottery. At first we thought, no problem. We will just flip flop! I did not realize that flipping would mean 2 sets of permits adding to the already logistical nightmare.

Im trying to keep this as simple as possible. We just want to walk!

Is the next best option to just start outside of either proper terminus?

And yes I know there are many other options in the Sierra, but right now we are interested in the JMT proper.

Thanks for your help WB!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

As I recall from the other thread, you were considering a Filp-Flop from Red's.
    I'm not familer with getting permits from there, other than figuring you would indeed need two permits.
    But assuming you can get two permits for the dates you desire, it doesn't seem like it should be too huge of a logistical nightmare... more time perhaps to deal with travel from Yosemite back to Red's to start the 2nd permit... but not a "nightmare".

You could also joint the JMT group on Facebook. You're questions might get more eyes over there. But if you can't get permits from Yosemite or Whitney, and you want to be able to do JMT from end-to-end, seems like I've heard a lot of recommendations doing NOBO from Horseshoe Meadows. But NOBO creates potentially new logistical issues (dealing with the altitude) than doing SOBO.

Look into Horseshoe Meadows.

Journal Entries

You got multiple problems.

Restriction on donahue pass exiting yosemite southbound
    Restriction on whitney portal exits soutbound

You can start farther south of whitney at cottonwood and go nobo. It adds bunch of miles, and very long food carry or require onion valley resupply.

You can skip jmt in yosemite and start in yosemite and exit another pass, then meet up with jmt souhbound. You will still need a whitney portal exit permit to exit there, or you can exit onion valley or cottonwood.

Or, you can get the two permits and flip flop. And times a wastin for that option. Nothing between late june and early-mid sept left .
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-23-2018 at 15:12.

There is a FB group (John Muir Trail: Northbound Information Hub) with tons of details of how to do a NOBO hike out of Horseshoe Meadows via Cottonwood Pass or Cottonwood Lakes trailheads. You can avoid the lottery doing the JMT from these locations.

I am doing it northbound starting August this year and the information found there was priceless.

Here is a link to great info on getting a northbound permit:
    http://ingasadventures.com/decipheri...permit-system/

An idea for you:

Fly into Reno from Atlanta and take the ESTA bus to Mammoth (leaves Reno Airport at 1:30pm on the days I have checked, ymmv)

Stay 24-48 hours in Mammoth to acclimate (8000') or up at the Mammoth Mountain Inn which is at 9000'

Bus to Lone Pine with a shuttle up to Horseshoe Meadows to camp for the night at 10,000'

Begin hiking the following day north via Cottonwood Pass or New Army Pass.

This gives you 2-3 nights of acclimating before you head to your first camp.

One Permit gives you the whole JMT with Half Dome included (this will not be the case for 2019 I've heard. In the future Half Dome will not automatically be part of your permit like it is now if you want it)

You will need to start with full food canisters. In my experience I don't have a huge appetite my first few days at altitude. So going heavier on soups and lots of snacks for the first few days might be a good thing. Everybody is different tho.

I would hike out to Onion Valley/ Indy to resupply if you have the time to add a 24-36 hour side trip into your itinerary. Those that have stayed the at Mt Williamson Motel count the experience as one of their JMT high points.

http://mtwilliamsonmotel.com/

Check out Sam's video on the whole NOBO walk up permit experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQOyAGX52wg

Disclaimer: I have not hiked the JMT. While recovering from Lyme Disease this fall I spent 6 weeks planning a 2019 JMT trip to keep me sane.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    As I recall from the other thread, you were considering a Filp-Flop from Red's.
    I'm not familer with getting permits from there, other than figuring you would indeed need two permits.
    But assuming you can get two permits for the dates you desire, it doesn't seem like it should be too huge of a logistical nightmare... more time perhaps to deal with travel from Yosemite back to Red's to start the 2nd permit... but not a "nightmare".

You could also joint the JMT group on Facebook. You're questions might get more eyes over there. But if you can't get permits from Yosemite or Whitney, and you want to be able to do JMT from end-to-end, seems like I've heard a lot of recommendations doing NOBO from Horseshoe Meadows. But NOBO creates potentially new logistical issues (dealing with the altitude) than doing SOBO.

You're right. Im being a little dramatic using the word "nightmare". But I was taking in account flights, public transportation, hotel/hostel, permits, resupply and bear can issues. Im use to just jumpin on the AT and going.

We would rather do one contiguous hike, but at the time flipping at Reds made sense not knowing about needing 2 permits. But now I understand more fully how it all works. So we are gonna go back to looking at a NOBO from Cottonwood pass. I would just have to use more money and time acclimating to eleveation that could otherwise be used for more time on trail or a hotel stay or something if going SOBO. I also love the idea of finishing on Whitney.

I dont use facebook but my hikin buddy does. So I will tell him to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by john844 View Post
    There is a FB group (John Muir Trail: Northbound Information Hub) with tons of details of how to do a NOBO hike out of Horseshoe Meadows via Cottonwood Pass or Cottonwood Lakes trailheads. You can avoid the lottery doing the JMT from these locations.

I am doing it northbound starting August this year and the information found there was priceless.

Here is a link to great info on getting a northbound permit:
    http://ingasadventures.com/decipheri...permit-system/
    Great, Thanks for the info! Any idea on average how many miles it would be from cottonwood pass or cottonwood lakes trailheads?

Quote Originally Posted by ADK Walker View Post
    An idea for you:

Fly into Reno from Atlanta and take the ESTA bus to Mammoth (leaves Reno Airport at 1:30pm on the days I have checked, ymmv)

Stay 24-48 hours in Mammoth to acclimate (8000') or up at the Mammoth Mountain Inn which is at 9000'

Bus to Lone Pine with a shuttle up to Horseshoe Meadows to camp for the night at 10,000'

Begin hiking the following day north via Cottonwood Pass or New Army Pass.

This gives you 2-3 nights of acclimating before you head to your first camp.

One Permit gives you the whole JMT with Half Dome included (this will not be the case for 2019 I've heard. In the future Half Dome will not automatically be part of your permit like it is now if you want it)

You will need to start with full food canisters. In my experience I don't have a huge appetite my first few days at altitude. So going heavier on soups and lots of snacks for the first few days might be a good thing. Everybody is different tho.

I would hike out to Onion Valley/ Indy to resupply if you have the time to add a 24-36 hour side trip into your itinerary. Those that have stayed the at Mt Williamson Motel count the experience as one of their JMT high points.

http://mtwilliamsonmotel.com/

Check out Sam's video on the whole NOBO walk up permit experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQOyAGX52wg

Disclaimer: I have not hiked the JMT. While recovering from Lyme Disease this fall I spent 6 weeks planning a 2019 JMT trip to keep me sane.

SO many good ideas here. I like your plan for acclimating. I was thinking something along those lines. When you say shuttle up to Horseshoe Meadows, is there a free shuttle or would I need to hire one?

It sounds like Onion Valley is a zero day resupply. Ill look into the Williams Motel, thanks for the heads up.

As I understand it there are a few hired shuttles that will take you up to the trailhead. Lone Pine Kurt is one name that I see mentioned frequently.

As for Onion Valley - You would be getting off trail for around 22 hours if you went with the Mt Williamson resupply package. You will get picked up the trailhead in OV and taken to the motel where your pre-mailed resupply is waiting for you. You will then be shuttled back to the OV trailhead the next morning. I think breakfast is included.

If you went this option you could camp the night before your Mt Williamson reservation (you will need one) at Kearsarge Lakes, then have a relaxed hike up the pass and down to the trailhead the next morning to get picked up around noon if I recall.

It adds time, extra miles and money but I think it would be worth it.

You can also mail a resupply to the Independence PO and hitch to town from the trailhead. Be sure you arrive during business hours.

There are other options that involve mule packers holding or delivering a resupply to you. Lots of info out there if you want to look into that.

As I understand it there are a few hired shuttles that will take you up to the trailhead. Lone Pine Kurt is one name that I see mentioned frequently.

As for Onion Valley - You would be getting off trail for around 22 hours if you went with the Mt Williamson resupply package. You will get picked up the trailhead in OV and taken to the motel where your pre-mailed resupply is waiting for you. You will then be shuttled back to the OV trailhead the next morning. I think breakfast is included.

If you went this option you could camp the night before your Mt Williamson reservation (you will need one) at Kearsarge Lakes, then have a relaxed hike up the pass and down to the trailhead the next morning to get picked up around noon if I recall.

It adds time, extra miles and money but I think it would be worth it.

You can also mail a resupply to the Independence PO and hitch to town from the trailhead. Be sure you arrive during business hours.

There are other options that involve mule packers holding or delivering a resupply to you. Lots of info out there if you want to look into that.

Journal Entries

Don't waste your time doing any thinking or planning until you actually have your permits. And you should have got them several months ago. This aint 2015 or earlier anymore. As is your relegated to September basically anyway.

Thank facebook.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    So Ive been asking some questions over on Rain Man's JMT thread and instead of hijacking his thread (sorry Rain Man) I wanted to start one of my own.B!
    Absolutely no problem! In fact, now I'm gonna be going to school on your thread. LOL I have 3 or 4 members of Nashville Backpacker Meetup who can't get 3 or 4 weeks off, but still separately want to hike a few days with me. Perhaps I can pick up some tips here and advise them what any possibilities are for that.

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Don't waste your time doing any thinking or planning until you actually have your permits.
    At this point, it might be better to wait on next year's lottery and see if you can get a permit from Yosemite to Whitney. If you can score that golden ticket, it's an awsome trip, and the logistics are actually quit simple IF you can compete the trail in 21 days (no big deal for someone in reasonable shape) and can manage carrying 10 days of supplies from MTR to Whitney.

Go for it!! There are 40 walk-in permits available EACH DAY departing from Horseshoe. If going NOBO is agreeable for you then you can make this happen.

NOBO: Sun at your back.
    SOBO: Sun in your face.
    Wayne

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    NOBO: Sun at your back.
    SOBO: Sun in your face.
    Wayne
    I didn't see the sun as any issue heading SOBO. By biggest issue with the sun was being out in it all day requiring sun protection... something you need to worry about regardless of which way you're heading.

Images

I've done the JMT both NOBO and SOBO, then again, sort of, NOBO (the Sierra High Route, a variation on the JMT). NOBO is much preferred IMHO, if you can get over the fear of the altitude acclimation thing, and follow ADK's excellent advice.

I like NOBO because: sun at your back, like Wayne says, going against the grain of the JMT hordes, finishing in Yosemite, with it's easy logistics (bus, train, plane home). Also cool that you can still climb Half Dome w/o separate permit if starting at Cottonwood.

In any case, great info on this thread!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Also cool that you can still climb Half Dome w/o separate permit if starting at Cottonwood.
    One of the regrets I have from my JMT hike is NOT climbing Half Dome.

Realistically, it seemed to only way to climb Half Dome was to stash my pack somewhere in the woods while making the climb. But because I was at the start of my trip, I didn't want to put my gear at risk (from critters big and small) by leaving it unattended. If anything happened to my gear, not only would I be out the gear, I'd have to end my JMT trip before it really began.

I still think foregoing Half Dome to ensure my gear (and my trip) was protected was the right decision, and would likely make the same decision again.

But if I were travelling NOBO, I would have stashed my gear and climbed Half Dome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Absolutely no problem! In fact, now I'm gonna be going to school on your thread. LOL I have 3 or 4 members of Nashville Backpacker Meetup who can't get 3 or 4 weeks off, but still separately want to hike a few days with me. Perhaps I can pick up some tips here and advise them what any possibilities are for that.

..Right on!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++