WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I have an old L.L. Bean shirt I bought many years ago. The whole shirt is sort of a fine mesh material, designed to help sweat evaporate. It's a size too small today to where with a pack, but found it still large enough to sleep in where it didn't mater if there was a small gap between the shirt and shorts.
    Not sure what a modern equivalent would be, but given that you're talking about a shirt you only sleep in, an ultra thin cotton Tee would be a good alternative.
    Thanks- I'll see what I can find

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    I will be starting August 12th; which I would assume means slightly cooler temps than you experienced. From my research it says to expect night time lows into the 30's and 40's.

I was going to bring 250 gram 1/4 zip smartwool pullover and my Melanazana fleece OR a 6.5 oz down puffy. Or a combination of the 3. I tend to sleep on the warm side

Do you think that is overkill?
    A down jacket and a set of rain gear is all I think you'll need for warm gear. Beyond that, what ever is needed to sleep warm for temperatures in the upper 30s. Should you hit an unexpected cold spell, wearing the rain gear or draping the puffy jacket over your bag can give you a little extra warmth.
    So if you're taking a very light weight bag... say something only good to 45 degrees, you might need to add some smart wool or fleece. If you're taking a 20 degree bag, you shouldn't need anything beyond the rain gear and puffy jacket.

BTW, I found putting on the puffy jacket as I get out of my sleeping bag made it a bit easier to get out of the warm bag in the mornings. I quickly warm up once I start hiking, so I would back the puffy jacket away as I was packing everything up for the morning to start walking.

Thanks for the input. I think this is the first time Ive asked you about trail info that wasnt pertaining to the Smokies. Haha

Im bringing my 20 degree quilt.

The 1/4 zip isnt as warm as my fleece, but is more versatile in terms of wearing while hiking.

THe fleece is really only comfortable to hike in when temps are 50 and below. Im confident about what to bring to stay warm at 30 degree temps at night.

I guess my hesitation is Im not sure what day time temps to expect and how long those cooler temps persist throughout the day. I know things can get chilly on the high passes and in the morning and evening. But not sure if that is consistent or its just something to expect only a couple of nights. If its only cold at night and in the early morning and warms up quickly and stays warm, then that means a different layering approach.

Does anyone have experience getting from the Mammoth airport into Mammoth? There doesn't appear to be public transportation from the airport to town (or I am somehow completely missing this)

The lady I am renting an air b&b from said my best option is a private shuttle.

I cant help but think that there is a better way to get from the airport to town than an expensive private shuttle. She said uber isnt going to be reliable there.

Taxi? Hitch hike? Walk?
    Did you call these people?
    https://www.airportshuttles.com/mammothlake.php
    There is a free trolley service in Mammoth Lakes.
    Wayne

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I guess my hesitation is Im not sure what day time temps to expect and how long those cooler temps persist throughout the day. I know things can get chilly on the high passes and in the morning and evening. But not sure if that is consistent or its just something to expect only a couple of nights. If its only cold at night and in the early morning and warms up quickly and stays warm, then that means a different layering approach.
    While I can't find any weather averages for the Sierra Nevada Mtns specifically, looking at weather averages for places near by (like Reno) shows that August average temperatures are only 1-2º below July.

My hike was from July 10th to July 28th 2016.
    * Every creek crossing (except the 2 major ones) was either rock-hop-able or I could walk thru in my water-proof boots and keep my feet dry.
    * It never rained (not even a sprinkle) until AFTER summit-ing Whiney (unusually dry summer?).
    * Passes were NOT covered in snow/ice, however, somewhere near each pass had a 100'-300' section where the trail went thru a section of snow/ice (no pass had snow/ice at the apex of the pass itself).
    (Even these short segments might be melted by August)
    * While I was prepared for night time lows below freezing, based on how the mornings felt, I don't think it ever got below 40º.
    * I walked (and sweated) wearing shorts, short sleeve shirt, and hat.
    * The only times I recall feeling cold include:
    1. Starting the morning from Silver Pass Lake (windy that morning)
    2. Lunch at Muir Hut (because I wasn't moving anymore)

But I would simply use my wool cap and rain jacket during those times and any other time I was feeling a little cold (also had a thin pair of gloves if my hand got cold... don't recall using them much).

Ditch the fleece. Go with the LS 1/4 zip SW, puffy, and a highly breathable light - UL wt rain jacket(it doubles as a wind jacket). It's probably not going to rain much but you're covered if you're caught being exposed. You're 20* quilt with a decent pad and knowing how all that works for your sleeping should be fine. If you plan on early starts and hiking until or after sunset as I do I like my rain/wind jacket to have pockets and/or bring very lt wt running or silk wt Windstopper gloves. Constant movement is the key to becoming and staying warm NOT just gear.

As per the chorus take a light beanie. For your bottom half Speedos. Good for that impromptu tarn or Evolution splash.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Ditch the fleece. Go with the LS 1/4 zip SW, puffy, and a highly breathable light - UL wt rain jacket(it doubles as a wind jacket). It's probably not going to rain much but you're covered if you're caught being exposed. You're 20* quilt with a decent pad and knowing how all that works for your sleeping should be fine. If you plan on early starts and hiking until or after sunset as I do I like my rain/wind jacket to have pockets and/or bring very lt wt running or silk wt Windstopper gloves. Constant movement is the key to becoming and staying warm NOT just gear.
    Thanks for the input. The 1/4 zip and puffy is more versatile for sure. gloves and a beanie are coming too

While I can't find any weather averages for the Sierra Nevada Mtns specifically, looking at weather averages for places near by (like Reno) shows that August average temperatures are only 1-2º below July.

* Every creek crossing (except the 2 major ones) was either rock-hop-able or I could walk thru in my water-proof boots and keep my feet dry.
    * It never rained (not even a sprinkle) until AFTER summit-ing Whiney (unusually dry summer?).
    * Passes were NOT covered in snow/ice, however, somewhere near each pass had a 100'-300' section where the trail went thru a section of snow/ice (no pass had snow/ice at the apex of the pass itself).
    * While I was prepared for night time lows below freezing, based on how the mornings felt, I don't think it ever got below 40º.

But I would simply use my wool cap and rain jacket during those times and any other time I was feeling a little cold (also had a thin pair of gloves if my hand got cold... don't recall using them much).
    Great info, as usual! Thank you

Journal Entries

There are numerous weather monitoring stations in sierra. With temperature, precipitation, elevation, snowfall, snow depdh, etc. You can graph historical data from these online by choosing them. Not all have all functions, but enough have temp history to plot in month of interest for a few yrs and see possible lows at given station elevations, etc.
    Try california cdec site.

Does anyone have experience getting from the Mammoth airport into Mammoth? There doesn't appear to be public transportation from the airport to town (or I am somehow completely missing this)

The lady I am renting an air b&b from said my best option is a private shuttle.

I cant help but think that there is a better way to get from the airport to town than an expensive private shuttle. She said uber isnt going to be reliable there.

Taxi? Hitch hike? Walk?
    Easy shuttle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BI, Sierra Shuttle Service. Mamm AP is only about 7 miles outside of town. Once to Hwy 395 from the AP a hitch should be quick.

4 weeks and counting down. Food is my next item to tackle. I can't wait for Aug 5th to get here. I am also amazed at how fast the last 5 months have flown by.

Thanks for all the people posting valuable information on here.

John

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by john844 View Post
    4 weeks and counting down. Food is my next item to tackle. I can't wait for Aug 5th to get here. I am also amazed at how fast the last 5 months have flown by.

Thanks for all the people posting valuable information on here.

John
    Need to be pretty quick with that food. I believe places like MTR suggest you ship your resupply at least three weeks before you expect to arrive for resupply.

I spent over a month getting my food ready (doing things like repackaging existing foods or making custom packages, such as getting a whole bag of M&M's and using a sealer and snack bags, make custom 200 calorie snack bags). Another good example of what took me a month of prep was vacuum sealing Oreo cookies... not for freshness but to keep them from crumbling while on the trail (freeze them 1st so the vacuum doesn't squeeze out the cream, and don't vacuum them too tight).
    Same thing with drink mixes... rather than spend $ (and wasted space of their packaging) I made custom packets of drink mixes (tang for breakfast, lemonaid for lunch and dinner). Just used a digital scale to measure out enough drink mix to match the size drink bottles I was using, and again, using the variable temperature sealer and snack bags, made custom drink mix packets with no wasted packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    BI, Sierra Shuttle Service. Mamm AP is only about 7 miles outside of town. Once to Hwy 395 from the AP a hitch should be quick.
    Good to know, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Did you call these people?
    https://www.airportshuttles.com/mammothlake.php
    There is a free trolley service in Mammoth Lakes.
    Wayne
    Airport Shuttle link I posted in June.
    Wayne

Need to be pretty quick with that food. I believe places like MTR suggest you ship your resupply at least three weeks before you expect to arrive for resupply.
    Thank you HooKooDooKu. I am resupplying at Onion Valley with enough to get me to VVR, and I'm thinking about not shipping anything to VVR. Anyone see issues with buying enough food to resupply at VVR, Reds, TM? If so, that would change my plan around shipping food.

On one of my 5 day shakedowns on the AT, I was able to get 5 days in the can. I had about 20% left over when I finished. LOL
    Most of my repackaging will be using zip lock bags instead of resealing. I have finished my initial food shopping, but may need to change some things up if they don't fit in the bear can after repackaging.

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Airport Shuttle link I posted in June.
    Wayne

Muchas gracias!

Quote Originally Posted by john844 View Post
    Thank you HooKooDooKu. I am resupplying at Onion Valley with enough to get me to VVR, and I'm thinking about not shipping anything to VVR. Anyone see issues with buying enough food to resupply at VVR, Reds, TM? If so, that would change my plan around shipping food.

On one of my 5 day shakedowns on the AT, I was able to get 5 days in the can. I had about 20% left over when I finished. LOL
    Most of my repackaging will be using zip lock bags instead of resealing. I have finished my initial food shopping, but may need to change some things up if they don't fit in the bear can after repackaging.

Thanks,
    John

I am going to go into Onion Valley to resupply in Independence. This bear can thing is throwing me off. Ive never used one and Im renting one that I will be picking up in Mammoth. Hard to tell if my food will fit with this method..

Does anyone know if AT&T has service in Mammoth?

How about along the trail? Trying to give loved ones an idea how many times to expect to hear from me

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++