WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rain pants in GA

I'll be doing a section hike at the end of May from Woody Gap to around Unicoi & am wondering if rain pants are necessary? I have completed the first part of GA but I hiked it in the month of September during a pretty bad drought so I have no experience with rain on the trail whatsoever. Thanks!

It's bit wet this year in GA but imho a rain kilt or something like Sierra Designs Chaps will be better since they give you more ventilation in high humidity environment. Rain pants are better for dry and cold environment tho.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

End of May down in these parts is poncho season for me. If you are not a poncho type of guy, I'd skip the rain pants.

Images

i would ask a shuttle driver to hold some gear for you and if you need them call them and have them deliver them to you at a gap or something . if you do not have them drop it at your car before you end your hike or have them meet you on your way out . i would just roll through without them .

Images

I think rain pants can have a place in my pack as part of my layering system -- they can be my only long pants in shoulder-season weather, and they layer well over wool long john bottoms when it's cold in camp. But having hiked in Georgia in early June, I would not take them at the end of May. I'd take my homemade rain kilt to keep my shorts from getting soaked, or just let them get soaked
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Of all the crap I carry rain pants probably could be the one item I should leave at home BUT when I need them they're vital. How so? Well, in a surprise rainstorm with lowering temps rain pants like a rain jacket can come in handy if you must hike all day in bad conditions and keep all your heat inside.

Sweat damp seems better to me than completely rain soaked, and as mentioned, plummeting temps can not only be cold to the bone, but a all out Donny Brook in the morning wrastlin’ frozen pants. At least frozen rain pants can be dragged behind ya until thawed.

Default Rain pants in GA

End of May, I think your best bet is to wear pants or shorts that will dry quickly. If there is going to be a serious cold snap you'll see it in the forecast and make adjustments.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

We left Springer on May 15th. Only thing I sent home was rain pants. Were just too hot,was soaked all the time anyway. Better rain than sweat. A little better,maybe....

I hiked the GA section last year at the end of May and it rained the first 3 days on me. I brought a poncho and only used for about the 1st hour of the hike. After that I realized I was getting just as wet in the poncho and was a lot less comfortable. After that I just hiked wet. YMMV. I only bring rain pants if I think there's a chance that it may be wet AND cold.

If it is not winter - I just put my shorts in my pack, and walk in my underwear.
    If it is winter, and looks like crappy weather, I will probably stay at home and enjoy whiskey.
    Gambit enjoys whiskey a lot more then walking in wet rainy snow
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    If it is not winter - I just put my shorts in my pack, and walk in my underwear.
    If it is winter, and looks like crappy weather, I will probably stay at home and enjoy whiskey.
    Gambit enjoys whiskey a lot more then walking in wet rainy snow
    Where is your sense of adventure. Bring your whiskey with you.
    Blackheart

++ New Posts ++