WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: NC Section Hike

Default NC Section Hike

I'm planning a south to north NC section hike this summer. Planning on driving down from NJ and parking somewhere along the AT in NC and shuttle to the start and hike back to the car. Where can a shuttle drop me off closest to the GA/NC border and where can I park where the AT traverses the TN border? The ATC says there are about 95 miles of the AT in NC then over 200 that go along the NC/TN border. I'd like to do those 95 miles...thus that is the planned ending point.

Thx

Go to this site to find information on parking: http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/at_menu.aspx

I am guessing you will start ... near Dick's Creek Gap, US76 - closest town being Hiawassee, GA - this Gap is at miles 69.0 (from Springer).
    The GA/NC border is at miles 77.9.

Ending Point/Parking area: Fontana Dam: Actually, there is a resort there and parking area. It would be a shame to miss staying at the Fontana Hilton Shelter, but you could do that the next time! This would bring you to the southern edge of the Smoky Mountain NP.

This is a wonderful hike!

Images

blue ridge gap is probably the easiest way to get you to the border . you are about 3 miles from the border there . there is another way in on the nc side but both ways you have to hike to the border . i think there is less confusion for the hiker being dropped at blue ridge gap . find a shuttle driver that is familiar with the area and can assist you with your needs . thanks and have a safe and fulfilling hike . peace my friend

If it were me, I'd leave my car at Fontana Dam and shuttle down to Deep Gap which is just north of the GA/NC border. IMHO, the series of climbs up from Bly Gap and over Sharp Top and Courthouse Bald would be a miserable way to start out my journey - much easier ascent up Standing Indian and afterward you have nearly 20 miles of comparatively very easy hiking to ease into your trip. Also, it'd be about 20 miles and and 1/2 hour shorter shuttle Than going down to either Blue Ridge Gap (and the road into the gap is pretty sketchy in good year) or Dicks Creek Gap.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Images

it is actually less time to go to blue ridge gap for a shuttle driver than to deep gap .

Not according to google maps - from fontana dam.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Go to this site to find information on parking: http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/at_menu.aspx

I am guessing you will start ... near Dick's Creek Gap, US76 - closest town being Hiawassee, GA - this Gap is at miles 69.0 (from Springer).
    The GA/NC border is at miles 77.9.

Ending Point/Parking area: Fontana Dam: Actually, there is a resort there and parking area. It would be a shame to miss staying at the Fontana Hilton Shelter, but you could do that the next time! This would bring you to the southern edge of the Smoky Mountain NP.

This is a wonderful hike!
    I'm thinking the plan will be to park at Fontana and shuttle to Dicks Creek Gap an mile 69.3. Anyone know if cars can easily get to Dicks Creek?

i agree. I've hiked all the way up to Deep Gap. Most shuttles will only take you to the tarmac and dirt heading up to Blue Ridge Gap. You then have to walk a mile up hill and three miles to the border then 7.2 to Deep Gap Parking lot. This was the reason why last year when we did GA we dropped our packs at Blue ridge and slacked hiked. Tagged the line took a pic at the famous tree and hiked south to the tarmac below blue ridge gap. That 11 miles NOBO is no way to start your journey unless you are wanting to tag the NC/GA line. If not start Drop you car at Fontana and shuttle to Deep Gap and enjoy your hike north to Fontana Dam. You can hostel in Franklin and in Wesser if you want to break your trip up and carry lighter and resupply.

Yes it's a hwy. no worries

Yes it's a HWY no worries

If you want cross the GA/NC line, Blue Ridge Gap is the place to start. Frankly, that's what I would do.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    I'm thinking the plan will be to park at Fontana and shuttle to Dicks Creek Gap an mile 69.3. Anyone know if cars can easily get to Dicks Creek?
    This is good plan.

Starting or ending at remote backwoods forest road access points is just dumb. It's what people who have fears of how far they can hike do to limit their distance to exactly X miles. Choose town to town , or major road crossing to safe town or major parking area. If you ever want to link up section you have to get back to those remote difficult places . 5 mi more or so is a negligible distance over a couple of days.

Ending somewhere there's a restaurant is also damn nice. As are showers before starting a car drive home. Take advantage of the showers at Fontana Dam Visitor Center or the shelter. The restaurant in Fontana building is open it's pretty decent, otherwise there's restaurants in town not far away. One hint.... GPS don't work so well in the tight mountains in that area with tree cover.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-26-2018 at 23:28.

Images

1 hour and 41 minutes to blue ridge gap from fontanta dam and 1 hour and 52 minutes to deep gap parking . this is google map time . i also probably do this run about 10 to 15 times a week . sometimes it is faster sometimes slower it all depends on what is happening on the roads . is there construction is the weather good is there a person doing 2 miles an hour on usfs 71 . it all depends but it is faster to go to blue ridge gap and easier on the cars

++ New Posts ++