WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Foot bone spur and Crocs

I can hike comfortably with my crocs because of the soft rubber soles. Any other shoe/boot is painful. Does anyone know of a shoe/boot with the rubber soles similar to crocs?

Quote Originally Posted by ncmtns View Post
    I can hike comfortably with my crocs because of the soft rubber soles. Any other shoe/boot is painful. Does anyone know of a shoe/boot with the rubber soles similar to crocs?
    I also have bone spurs. The solution for me was Vibram Five Finger Shoes. The absence of a raised heel made all of the difference.
    Shutterbug

The Altra shoes have a lot of space in the toebox and the Olympic model has a lot of padding. They might work quite well.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ncmtns View Post
    I finally had to spring for prescription orthoses. They make a world of difference to me.

Before I used them, I used to throw out the factory insoles from my shoes and put in orange Superfeet. I never found a shoe that gave proper support with just what the manufacturer put in. I'll still use Superfeet if I'm anticipating a really wet trip, since I don't want to get my orthoses all muddy.

Of course, everyone's feet are different. I see someone upthread raving about Vibram FiveFingers, and I'd be in agony trying to go any distance in those. Only you can tell what works for your feet, but sometimes a podiatrist actually can help.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

+1 on the Altras. Zero drop like Crocs and plenty of cushioning. Especially the Olympus 2.0 Good luck

I haven't worn crocs in over a decade but I remember that they were very slippery on wet surfaces. Look into KT tape and watch their videos on youtube for how to apply it for bone spurs. I used it for the last month of my thru (everything was breaking down) and KT tape got me through. I really wish they had this stuff when I was doing sports as it makes a huge difference.

Just got a pair of Salomon Speedcross 4's...They fit like a glove on my feet but I know they are too tight fitting for some. Salomon now do a wide fit version, but you have to order them direct from Salomon (They are 12mm wider in the Toebox). I'm not really going to do that much running in them...I just wanted a really comfy, long lasting walking/hiking shoe, with really good grip...They meet all my requirements...Just wish they were cheaper to buy!

Which came first?
    The Crocs? Or the bone spurs?
    Wayne

I have a pair of Hoka One One Stinsons I picked up from Goodwill. I don't have bone spurs but in the past have had issues with gout. Whenever I have foot soreness for whatever reason I wear my Hokas, they are like walking on clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Which came first?
    The Crocs? Or the bone spurs?
    Wayne
    Hello!
    Which came first might be important to the solution of your problem.
    Wayne

I can also vouch for Altra and some Hoka Ones. Altras are some of the widest and most forgiven toes box I have found
    Always hiking. Always exploring Bend, Oregon

It depends on where the bone spurs occur. Some have them around the joints of their toes. Others only in the heel. Others in multiple foot places.

The Altra Olympus are great for their initial cush, roomy toe box, light wt, and quick to dry construction but have no arch support so I've had to add after market orthootics. I didn't pay enough attention to this from the get go which factored into plantar fascitis which I never previously experienced. Their cush doesn't last long either.They Swiss cheeses out for me quite quickly as a light impact 200lb male carrying UL kits(Sub 20 lbs) Possibly most significant they are zero drop which many are not accustomed. Going to zero drop from a significantly higher stack ht can cause foot and mechanical issues as one is transitioning even if your're as myself with no previous walking or trail running mechanical issues. If not getting last yr close outs they are $140-150 a piece.

The stack hts transitioning is easier not as severe with HOKA One One trail and street runners. And, in HOKA's med/max cush models, in however the cush is created, lasts longer for me.

In short, be careful going to Altra solely for their cush, very wide toe box, and foot shape, That's not all there is to picking out the correct fitting shoe

++ New Posts ++