WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default TICKS in New Jersey Rare breed

New Jersey residents know they need to look out for ticks. The state has one of the highest concentrations of Lyme disease in the country.

These invasive ticks can appear in such numbers that they drain cattle of their blood — and they've now been found in the US for the first time

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...cid=spartandhp

Scary...

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    New Jersey . . . The state has one of the highest concentrations of Lyme disease in the country. . .
    Not surprising given that the namesake for Lyme disease (Lyme CN) is only a couple mile north.

. . .These invasive ticks can appear in such numbers that they drain cattle of their blood . . .
    Sorry, I call BS on this one. Let's say that a average tick can consume 10 ul of blood daily, a generous, but reasonable proposition. Next, let's assume that tick, along with 1,000 of it's clones have all attached to the cow and can can consumer 10 uL a day each for 10 days, again, a generous proposition. That means the cow is loosing 100 ml of blood every 10 days to these ticks. Plus or minus a factor of 10, still only gives us a liter per week in worst case scenario that is not very realistic. And, the Red Cross allows me to be drained of a pint of blood every month, which is about the equivalent of 10 pints, or five liters per cow per month.

QED
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Sorry, I call BS on this one. Let's say that a average tick can consume 10 ul of blood daily, a generous, but reasonable proposition. Next, let's assume that tick, along with 1,000 of it's clones have all attached to the cow and can can consumer 10 uL a day each for 10 days, again, a generous proposition. That means the cow is loosing 100 ml of blood every 10 days to these ticks. Plus or minus a factor of 10, still only gives us a liter per week in worst case scenario that is not very realistic. And, the Red Cross allows me to be drained of a pint of blood every month, which is about the equivalent of 10 pints, or five liters per cow per month.

QED
    Call it what you want. Ticks drain Maine moose. I don't find it unreasonable to suspect they could do the same to a cow.
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...hDM/story.html

From report linked above:

They are winter ticks, which attach themselves to a single moose by the tens of thousands. Adult females can expand to the size of a grape and engorge themselves with up to four milliliters of blood.
    “The moose are being literally drained of blood. This is about as disgusting as it gets out there,” said Pete Pekins, chairman of the Natural Resources Department at the University of New Hampshire.

Quote Originally Posted by putts View Post
    Call it what you want. Ticks drain Maine moose. I don't find it unreasonable to suspect they could do the same to a cow.
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...hDM/story.html

From report linked above:

They are winter ticks, which attach themselves to a single moose by the tens of thousands. Adult females can expand to the size of a grape and engorge themselves with up to four milliliters of blood.
    “The moose are being literally drained of blood. This is about as disgusting as it gets out there,” said Pete Pekins, chairman of the Natural Resources Department at the University of New Hampshire.
    Moose die yearly from massive infestations of winter ticks. And a dead giraffe in Africa was found dead with 50,000 ticks...determined to be the cause of death

Well that sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    ............ Next, let's assume that tick, along with 1,000 of it's clones have all attached to the cow ............
    I have seen dogs with more ticks than that.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    I have seen dogs with more ticks than that.
    Blue tic hound

Images

"Ultimately there is great concern about the potential for an H. longicornis infestation in NJ, and this is being actively investigated, although the issue will likely not be settled before the spring of 2018, when any surviving ticks would exit diapause and begin host seeking," the report's authors wrote.
    If these ticks are capable of surviving a Mid-Atlantic winter, that would be an unfortunate scenario. Not only are the pests capable of appearing in such numbers that they can literally drain animals of their blood, they can also bite people and carry disease.
    In rural China, a bite from one of these ticks can spread an emerging hemorrhagic fever that can be deadly. These ticks are also known to carry diseases like Anaplasma, Ehrlichia, Borrelia, and a form of spotted fever, according to the study. Some researchers have suggested that the tick can transmit Lyme disease, too.
    So while we don't know for sure that they'd spread local diseases here, they appear (like many other ticks) to be capable of carrying a host of different pathogens. And as we've seen with the spread of ticks that carry Lyme disease, red meat allergy, and other illnesses, we have a hard time getting rid of ticks.
    "[W]e advocate continued vigilance because even if this species is not already established in the United States, suitable hosts and habitats are common and widespread here," the report's authors wrote.

It sounds like Kudzu with a blood lust. :-(

Journal Entries
    Images

I will attest from personal experience, this one sucks! On the good side though, cholesterol numbers are substantially lower.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Images

And people are scared of bears??????
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

Let's hope the long winter killed off the blood sucking critters!

The sheep was kept outdoors and the ticks were on the ground. Animals had passed through the yard/paddock.

The sheep itself had hundreds, in all three life stages — larva, nymph, and adult. The bugs covered its ears and face and had burrowed through its thick coat.
    ticks.JPG

Is there anything that can be done to control tick populations?
    It is what it is.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Is there anything that can be done to control tick populations?
    Getting rid of the invasive Japanese Barberry and multiflora rose would be a good first step. It’s one of their best breeding grounds.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Ack! It’s all double posting!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

1) Kill em all, let *** sort em out
    2) Death from above
    3) Bring back the fogging trucks

Post signs at all shelters.

dont_feed_the_ticks.jpg
    I want one. . . not a tick, the sign.