WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Work travel to Leesburg, VA in May

Hello all,
    I will be traveling to Leesburg VA in early May for a week. How far away will I have to drive for trail access? I would only be able to do evening hikes, but it will be a new area for me.
    Thanks for any info.
    Norm

Images

20 minutes to snicker's gap on rt 7 from leesburg

Default Work travel to Leesburg, VA in May

Not far at all to Harper's Ferry. But even closer are Point of Rocks and the C&O Canal Trail. Just across the river in MD.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Very close (driving distance) from Leesburg to Bear's Den. Head west on route 7.

Thanks for the info. I am going to try to do some hiking each night that I am there.

I arrived early on Monday and I parked at the VA 601 Parking area and hiked North to Rod Hollow shelter and back to the car. It was a really nice hike, there were several small stream crossings. It was a gorgeous day.

I will be heading back to Leesburg again next week. I am thinking of parking at Keys gap and doing my small trips from there. I will let you know how it was.

Quote Originally Posted by arrowdog View Post
    I will be heading back to Leesburg again next week. I am thinking of parking at Keys gap and doing my small trips from there. I will let you know how it was.
    Not a real interesting section of trail, but it wouldn't be too bad a hike (SOBO) up to Buzzard Rocks, just past the David Lesser shelter. It's just a pile of rocks you climb up onto, no real view but it is a landmark. NOBO you just walk through the woods back down to Harpers Ferry.
    What's the weather been like down there? I think it's been wet. Big storm passing through there as we speak. Plan on mud. Maybe ice if it turns cold next week. The trail is sort of mixed rock and dirt.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by arrowdog View Post
    Hello all,
    I will be traveling to Leesburg VA in early May for a week. How far away will I have to drive for trail access? I would only be able to do evening hikes, but it will be a new area for me.
    Thanks for any info.
    Norm
    Yeah head west on route 7 to bears den hostel there's parking on the right they just recently expanded due to popular section . Head north on the trail up to ravine rock overlook about 3.5 miles, I live in the area and this is 1 of my favorite overnighters.. great view have lunch up there hike back. Yesterday we received 6 inches of snow but melting quickly today 50 degrees gonna be sloppy.

Oh my bad early may , still go here its only 20 mins out to the trail headed from leesburg

If I remember correctly from years ago Bears Den has some nice west facing cliffs with great view of sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    If I remember correctly from years ago Bears Den has some nice west facing cliffs with great view of sunset.
    Yes, a short, easy hike up from Rt 7 too. Very popular spot.

I think JNI64 means Raven Rocks, which is north of RT7. Another popular spot, but a more difficult hike as there is one pretty good bump to go up and over - one of the last bumps on the roller coaster. I got there on a Saturday afternoon, on the first really nice day of spring and there were a 100 people there. Not really that great a view either.

The other nice thing the trail head at RT7 is just down the side road is the Horseshoe pub, where you can grab a burger and beer before heading home.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yes, a short, easy hike up from Rt 7 too. Very popular spot.

I think JNI64 means Raven Rocks, which is north of RT7. Another popular spot, but a more difficult hike as there is one pretty good bump to go up and over - one of the last bumps on the roller coaster. I got there on a Saturday afternoon, on the first really nice day of spring and there were a 100 people there. Not really that great a view either.

The other nice thing the trail head at RT7 is just down the side road is the Horseshoe pub, where you can grab a burger and beer before heading home.
    Yeah what he said. 😁

This is one of the closest parts of the AT to me so I go there a lot. You can’t lose!

++ New Posts ++