WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Big Sky Wisp I

Images

Default Big Sky Wisp I

Has anyone here had any experience using the Big Sky Wisp I "super bivy"? I saw a video on You Tube featuring the silnylon version. The reviewer gave it 9/10, while noting the condensation issues. I had a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo and so I'm familiar with condensation - easily wiped away with a bandana, so that doesn't bother me too much, but what I'm looking for is anyone's general experience with this set up.

I'm thinking of buying the Cuben fiber version. There's something about a bug-proof shelter that weighs less than 11 oz. that intrigues me, if you can imagine that!
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

While I can't offer anything on the Wisp specifically, I can tell you that Big Sky products are first rate.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

What conditions on the AT do you plan on using it in? (I am not familiar with using a bivy, except that when I looked at one, I was told it would not be a good option for the AT in the summer... they told me a bivy was best at Alpine levels or in colder weather. That is not my experience, just what I was told by an REI person and a couple other people I asked... for what it's worth...)

Images

What conditions on the AT do you plan on using it in? (I am not familiar with using a bivy, except that when I looked at one, I was told it would not be a good option for the AT in the summer... they told me a bivy was best at Alpine levels or in colder weather. That is not my experience, just what I was told by an REI person and a couple other people I asked... for what it's worth...)

Although it's called a "super bivy" it's more like a tarptent, similar to the Lunar Solo, except that the mesh is only on the door and at the foot end. You can sit up in it and it has a pretty good vestibule to boot, to make up for what appears to be a fairly cramped interior. I'm 5' 6" so it would be adequate for me. As far as conditions, I'd be using it for three seasons, and that would include the AT and Florida.

Leonidas

I looked through all the options as I was intrigued by the weight and they have a disclaimer near the bottom right hand side of the screen.

Note: Hybrid (part double wall / part single wall) design recommended for low humidity areas, such as USA's southwest and
    Rocky Mountain areas, and not recommended for high humidity areas

So to me living in Alabama and knowing that the AT is pretty humid, I would say it probably isn't going to be all that similar to the Lunar Solo condensation-wise. I haven't had my Solo out yet but I do have the Duo and they are both similar in the amount of mesh which is double the Wisp.

Just something to consider. I will admit that it is hard to turn away from based on the price/weight.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

I just saw a review for the Wisp on Massdrop and the reviewer noted that condensation was a major problem for him, even in Colorado. So, that's that. A shame for sure at that weight

++ New Posts ++