WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Cannabis sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    I've been one my whole life, but after a week or so on a long hike, fatigue typically takes over and sleep is had. Cares of the "outside world" and my own messed up head drop away.
    Ditto... it takes me about five to seven days on the trail, but then I start to sleep like a hiker~ "out" at "hiker midnight" and up before sunrise - naturally!

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    I find Tylenol PM and earplugs do the trick. I’m a light sleeper at home, but my away sleep game needs that help.

The guys that fall asleep instantly and snore the night away suck
    ...and they contribute to keeping me awake.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    I have managed my sleeping trouble for almost 30 years and really do pretty well at home without meds. On backpacking trips, not so much. I usually fall asleep around 3 am and wake up around 6 am whether I'm in a tent, hammock, or on a shelter floor. I'm not at all scared of being in the woods at night. I just have trouble shutting my brain down.

Anyway, the result is that with each consecutive day of my trip I'm a little more worn down and need more rest breaks.

So, if you have insomnia, do you eventually adjust and get into a more regular sleep cycle after a certain number of days out? I'm not looking to hike for months on end. Just go from 3-5 day trips to 1 or 2 weeks. Also not looking for pharmacological solutions. Really don't want to ambien walk off a cliff.
    I'm the same, but usually by the 3rd night, I'm so exhausted I just fall right out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned pillows. I tried a bunch of blowup hiking pillows and none worked. Turned out all I needed was a decent pillowcase to put over my clothing stuff sack, which I discovered at the outfitter in Franklin. Thermorest makes it. After that, I never had any more trouble falling to sleep than I do at home. It would be easy to make one.

Also, benedril helps.

All day to get up
    all night to get down
    nick knack paddy whack
    give yur dogs a break
    time to git up again
    oh for pete’s sake

Time to make the doughnuts!

It takes me two or three days, and then I sleep like a log, but the first day or so, there are worries about the next day, the weather etc that keep me up.

Deep breathing is a practice that I have used at home that translated well into camping. I've talked to people who have taken the dive with some green herbals but I have not done it personally.

Journal Entries

I actually have more problems sleeping at home than I do while hiking. I use a hammock on the trail and I know several people have hung hammocks inside their homes, but my home doesn't quite incorporate a hammock as part of its decor, I gues is the best way to put it.
    Blackheart

Default Any other insomniacs out there?

I primarily use a hammock. Doesn't get me anymore sleep, but it's much more comfortable to lay awake in a hammock then on a sleep pad. well, as long as it's not freezing cold out...
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Melatonin, ibuprophen, ear plugs. If ya gotta pee, don't put it off. If yer cold/hot, take care of it now. If the air mat isn't comfortable, let some air out.

I primarily use a hammock. Doesn't get me anymore sleep, but it's much more comfortable to lay awake in a hammock then on a sleep pad. well, as long as it's not freezing cold out...
    Definitely less swollen and puffy in my face after a night in my hammock. Can’t tell you how rested I feel compared to the ground. And affirmative on the “lay awake” tip.

What Uriah said.

All this helps me: quitting coffee on trail, I might drink some matcha though in the a.m's, consuming all stimulant supplements before 5 p.m. ie; ginseng complex, ginkgo, B vitamins- B2, B12, acetyl-L-carnitine, maca, huperzine-A, vinpocetine, alpha lipoic acid, ...), chocolate, high amounts of omega 3 fats containing foods, although I switch it up as a night hiker, chamomile tea, light reading, ditching electronics after 7 p.m., belly breathing,...

I try to start hiking early before sunrise and going until after dark...like a chugging along at a moderate pace but enduring diesel locomotive. I like rest stops to get my mind off moving though focusing deeply on Nature at these times. This gets me tired for sleep. When I stop hiking I'm in my bag within 20 mins and asleep within an hr after a warm meal. If I'm not tired enough to sleep I keep hiking until I'm ready for it. Hiking for 20 hrs straight is not out of the question. Stealth camping solo helps cut down on sleep distractions. A small warming solo campfire helps me sleep.

One thing I wouldn’t do while hiking is take ambein...that stuff made me groggy and my gate was that of a potato head. If I really can’t sleep I design my dream home in my head, the more detail the better. I got houses all around the world, I just finished a one room log cabin over looking the White House.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    One thing I wouldn’t do while hiking is take ambein...that stuff made me groggy and my gate was that of a potato head. If I really can’t sleep I design my dream home in my head, the more detail the better. I got houses all around the world, I just finished a one room log cabin over looking the White House.
    I am similar to you only I design various custom cars. I did read a story about an American POW during the Vietnam war who designed his dream house while being held. By the time he was released he knew exactly how many board feet of lumber he needed in each sized, how many sheets of dry wall and even how many nails. Since he had no other family, he had a rather large sum of pay awaiting him upon his release. He found the perfect lot and bought all the supplies just as he remembered and built it with a little help from friends.
    Blackheart

My understanding of this technique is that it works because you are focusing on a linear thought wth a start and finish. Insomnia is often described as feeling spun, one or more thoughts coming to mind over and over without resolution. It is an excellent technique for calming your mind.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

My understanding of this technique is that it works because you are focusing on a linear thought wth a start and finish. Insomnia is often described as feeling spun, one or more thoughts coming to mind over and over without resolution. It is an excellent technique for calming your mind.
    also like to invent things, like a better stink bug trap, retreevil system for a drone stuck in a tree (still workin’ on that one).

Journal Entries

also like to invent things, like a better stink bug trap, retreevil system for a drone stuck in a tree (still workin’ on that one).
    12 gauge shotgun with a deer slug. Just shoot the branch.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    12 gauge shotgun with a deer slug. Just shoot the branch.
    even eye been known to miss, to many houses around.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++