Default Day hiking in "Bear canister required" areas

Hello,

I have been trying to reach NP staff on nps.gov website, but without any reply to my question... Maybe somebody is able to help me?

Please, am I required to carry bear canister during day in bear canister required areas (for example in Kings Canyon National Park) when I'm not going to sleep in those areas? I only want to walk part of it and than to sleep in areas where are Bear cans not required.

Thank you for your help.

Lipton

I have read on other NP sites that as long as your food is within arms reach you are not required to carry food in a bear resistant container. Look for that statement on web pages where bear resistant containers are discussed.
    Or call the Backcountry Desk at the specific NP.
    Old school communication still works.
    Wayne

Images

researching a possible trip in the SEKI area recently, i couldnt help but wonder- if i planned to hike through an area that required bear canisters but then for unforeseen circumstances (injury, weather, made a wrong turn, who knows) i had to stop for the night before i made it out of the canister required area, then what? to say nothing of the mixture of campsites hat have bear boxes and those that do not.

but to answer the OP's post directly, i would say no, if youre not stopping for the night you dont need a bear cannister.

Thank you guys.

I'm thinking the same... I had a bear canister for the Sierra last year and for the rest of the PCT to the Canadian border I had URSACK... but after my experience with URSACK, I do not want to carry a bear canister anymore.

I will try to call to the NP to be sure. I will post update here, if I get some solid information.

thx

Thanks. Please keep us posted.
    It’s too bad that everyone can’t agree about the Ursack.
    Wayne

In Yosemite, if you are on an overnight permit (even if you'll be camping outside of Yosemite), you will need a bear can period; they are the most strict about bear cans.

The hardline interpretation for most of the Sierra bear can required areas is if you are backpacking through a bear can area, you need a bear can, even if you are camping past that area. You can have food outside of that can if you are with your pack, but it must fit inside when you leave it unattended such as going to bed at night. That said, in actual practice, most of the time, I've found rangers to be a little more accommodating than that and will allow you to hike through a bear can required area without one as long as you aren't camping there, provided where you are camping seems a reasonable distance to cover from where you met them. But, remember, some rangers will take the hard line and you won't have a leg to stand on. High use areas tend to be more strict about interpreting the rules due to past abuse (think the area near Mt. Whitney).

@Miner Thank you for the provided information - of course, I want to obey the local rules (aspecially when I am a host in your country :-) I hope we will be allowed to visit your beautiful country again this year, hehe:-) Just it seems that URSACK works + we are everytime trying to sleep in places where is less chance to meet a bear.).

I have just wanted to know the rules, from what I was able to read...it's like:

When you are a day hiker (or you have no food at all :-) ), you can be in the area. So technically, if you have no food left, you can stay overnight :-):-) But no food is not adviced :-) We had a few moments on PCT hike last year without the food and it's not the best :-)

We are planning Yoseme to Tuolumne Meadows in one day (it's some 21 miles)... so I was thinking I need no bear can... than we want to get to Bishop (we have stored bear cans there at friend house) and than to get to Kennedy Meadows... We want to see Sierra without the snow this year! I'm sure I will be very surprised how beautiful are some places without all the snow... and I will not be able to recognise some places in comparation to last year :-)

I'm looking forward to get a reply from a NP authority...to be sure what is the current regulation.

(I'm sorry for my mistakes in english).

Journal Entries

You do not need a bear canister on a Day hike. But your food must remain within Arm's Reach at all times to not have one. Hundreds of people Day hike in Yosemite everyday and do not carry bear canisters.

However if you carry overnight gear at all, shelter / sleeping bag, by default you are not on a Day hike even if you have no intent to camp. You will need the proper Wilderness permit and the bear canister, you do not receive benefit of doubt. The ranger has probable cause that you're committing an infraction because you have the gear. Giving people with improper gear for a Day hike the benefit of the doubt would make it impossible for authorities to enforce Trailhead permit restrictions. Anyone that wants to argue in court is free to travel back to Yosemite a few months later for their federal court date in lieu of paying $200 fine. But you will just end up paying the fine in addition to your travel costs. SEKIs court is near lone pine area, i forget what town.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-29-2018 at 10:17.

Thank you, I really do not want to argue, I just want to know the rules and customs. As I have noted before, if I'm guest in your country I have to (and I want to with respect) obey. Your country, your rules... :-)

Sad is... we will have change our itinerary - we wanted to hike one day in Yosemete to Tuolumne Meadows to help with the elevation accommodation:/ But we can't with the gear... we want to use later... and sending our gear ahead is not an option neither.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to meet with the beast, BV500, again :-)

Journal Entries

Some people have stashed their gear in Bear box at Tuolumne Meadows, Day hike down to Yosemite, take the bus back. That is not a legitimate use of a bear box, and Rangers would have every right to remove your gear and cite you for it. Boxes are for food and smellable Storage.

If you're worried about the security of bear box then the PO at Tuolumne Meadows might also hold your overnight gear in the form of packages shipped to yourself.......

You can also set up gear in a campground spot or Backpacker Campground at tuolumne and leave your gear that way while you hike down to Yosemite.

Yosemite post office can be used to your advantage also.

People do manage to do this day hike.

I meant PCT hikers in yosemite. I really don't think how they got there was legit legal on pct permit, but they were there.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-29-2018 at 16:00.

MuddyWaters, great suggestions! Thank you very much! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    It’s too bad that everyone can’t agree about the Ursack.
    Everyone does agree: they don't perform the intended task. Bears get a food reward. Then bears die.

Just carry the damn can. It makes things very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    Everyone does agree: they don't perform the intended task. Bears get a food reward. Then bears die.

You want read this "Not bear- or idiot-proof: Documented canister failures" penned by Andrew Skurka.

https://andrewskurka.com/2018/bear-canister-failures/

There’s an alternative solution.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Runner2017 View Post
    You want read this "Not bear- or idiot-proof: Documented canister failures" penned by Andrew Skurka.

https://andrewskurka.com/2018/bear-canister-failures/
    Interesting article.

Overflow: is not a bear can failure, it's operator failure.
    Unlocked: is not a bear can failure, it's operator failure.
    Open: is not a bear can failure, it's operator failure.
    Rolled away: is not a bear can failure.
    Structural failure: The first three are debatable. The fourth, well, **** happens.

Just carry the can, and save a bear's life. Or maybe even the life of a hiker that comes after you.

"Black Bears in the Eastern High Peaks Wilderness [Adirondacks] have regularly defeated bear resistant canisters made of clear plastic [Bear Vault brand] ... Campers should use another type of bear resistant canister to prevent the loss of food..."

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7225.html

Interesting article.

Overflow: is not a bear can failure, it's operator failure.
    Unlocked: is not a bear can failure, it's operator failure.
    Open: is not a bear can failure, it's operator failure.
    Rolled away: is not a bear can failure.
    Structural failure: The first three are debatable. The fourth, well, **** happens.

Just carry the can, and save a bear's life. Or maybe even the life of a hiker that comes after you.

++ New Posts ++