Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I don’t have the PCT profile in front of me, but the trail elevation through Southern California south of Idyllwild is not very high. SJ Peak is 10,800’. That will get your attention, but trailhead parking lots in New Mexico and Colorado are that high and the trails go uphill from there.
    But it’s just walking.
    Wayne
    It varies, bud. At the junction, where the trail up S.J. peak branches off the PCT, you're at 9000 feet. So it's a 1800' climb.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Fuller Ridge - AM I GONNA DIE???
    Okay, I've been watching this thread for a day or two now - not reading it mind you, just watching it.

Please forgive me, I can't resist.

NO FRIGGIN DUH, YOU'RE GONNA DIE!!!

Now, go out there and enjoy it!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Fuller Ridge - AM I GONNA DIE???
    Okay, I've been watching this thread for a day or two now - not reading it mind you, just watching it.

Please forgive me, I can't resist.

NO FRIGGIN DUH, YOU'RE GONNA DIE!!!

Now, go out there and enjoy it!
    Well, if I DO die, them's the words I want carved in my stone -- or "NO FRIGGIN DUH, HE DIED!!!" Or, we can just shorten it -- "NO FRIGGIN DUH!!!"
    See to it, will ya, Sherry? Thanx, bud!

San Gorgonio is higher than San Jacinto, just sayin'.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    San Gorgonio is higher than San Jacinto, just sayin'.
    Yet the PCT doesn't go anywhere near climbing it, but it is a pretty looking peak. Definitely much more snow visible on SG than on SJ.

One thing that was downright weird.... We got into Big Bear on a Monday or Tuesday, 4/9 or 10, can't exactly remember, the ski runs there were essentially bare, so the town was really Big Bare, anyway, the ski area had apparently just closed the previous weekend. Not sure what people were skiing on! Maybe there were some higher runs that we couldn't see from town. I think this has been a pretty low snow year for SOCAL.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yet the PCT doesn't go anywhere near climbing it, but it is a pretty looking peak.
    It's not that far, the only problem would be the permit. Volunteer rangers scour that wilderness checking for permits.

Images

It's not that far, the only problem would be the permit. Volunteer rangers scour that wilderness checking for permits.
    Yeah, looking at Caltopo, it's not too bad, about 10.5 miles (each way) and 3800 feet of vertical from closest point on PCT. For peak baggers, this would be a worthy one-day side trip. If I had known, I might have done this side trip. Not sure what you mean about permits though... A PCT hiker, for example, could simply camp at the junction to the trail system that heads up SG, take a light pack and climb the peak and return, camp in the same place the next night and move on. I guess you might mean a PCT hiker can't camp away from the PCT and nearer to the peak without a separate permit?

The San Gorgonio Wilderness is zealously guarded. The PCT was deliberately routed around the wilderness. Starting in the 1940s there was a big fight to protect San Gorgonio from being turned into a ski area. Of all the times I've hiked and backpacked up there only a few times have I not been checked for a permit. I don't think a thruhike permit would work there.

It's beautiful country, the best in Southern California.

Images

The San Gorgonio Wilderness is zealously guarded. The PCT was deliberately routed around the wilderness. Starting in the 1940s there was a big fight to protect San Gorgonio from being turned into a ski area. Of all the times I've hiked and backpacked up there only a few times have I not been checked for a permit. I don't think a thruhike permit would work there.

It's beautiful country, the best in Southern California.
    But correct me if I'm wrong... a permit is only required for an overnight stay, not a day hike. Correct or not? I'll never quite understand the CA/NFS wilderness permit system....

You need a permit to dayhike in the San Gorgonio Wilderness. They are pretty easy to get, fax, email or mail. I get mine in person, never had a problem.

Mt San Jacinto State Wilderness. Permits.
    https://www.pstramway.com/wilderness-permits/
    Wayne

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++