Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Fuller Ridge - AM I GONNA DIE???

Sorry Wayne. I didn't read that email closely enough at first.
    I'm not confused about the trail. I know San Jacinto peak is off trail. It only got confusing when you said I shouldn't climb it and I should take the bypass instead.
    When you said "take the bypass", that made me think you must mean I should bypass Fuller, since Fuller actually is on the trail, and it has a reputation. Had I read the email more closely, I would have realized you were advising me not to climb S.J. peak, but to instead take the "winter bypass". I think your confusion caused my confusion! ?

You ain’t gonna die, advance snowball

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Sorry Wayne. I didn't read that email closely enough at first.
    I'm not confused about the trail. I know San Jacinto peak is off trail. It only got confusing when you said I shouldn't climb it and I should take the bypass instead.
    When you said "take the bypass", that made me think you must mean I should bypass Fuller, since Fuller actually is on the trail, and it has a reputation. Had I read the email more closely, I would have realized you were advising me not to climb S.J. peak, but to instead take the "winter bypass". I think your confusion caused my confusion! ?
    Now I'm confused about your confusion caused by his confusion. Crystal clear.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Yeah, sc***w it.. I think I'll just hike the AT instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Clear as mud? Dazed and confused?
    Wayne

Yeah, sc***w it.. I think I'll just hike the AT instead!
    Considering where you live, that makes a lot of sense. 😄😎😀
    Wayne

Images

Oh yeah. You said that Colorado Rob says it's a hard climb so I shouldn't do it. And after all, Rob's climbed the two highest peaks in the Northern Hemisphere!
    Hey, I got a question: When Rob told you he was going to climb the two highest peaks in the northern hemisphere, and you told him not to try it because somebody said it was hard, what did Rob say?
    ?????? Did I say something about Fuller ridge some time???? And no, I have not climbed the two highest peaks in the northern hemisphere ( but have in the western hemisphere)....

Anyway, just so happens I passed thru there about two weeks ago. I'm perpetually confused about what Ed Zachery Fuller ridge is. I did the San jacinto option of the PCT thru there... Did I then do the Fuller ridge? No where along the SJ option is there a ridge with any exposure, so I assume I must have bypassed it?

In any case, this year was trivial in early April doing the SJ option. My grandma could have done it. Seriously.

Images

And BTW, skipping SJ peak would be a shame. Fantastic summit on a worthy peak. I do realize it is not the official PCT, but I only talked to a few folks that did NOT do the SJ option. Most fellow PCT hikers in my little bubble did do it. Not enough samples to be statistically relevant, but just sayin.

I’m going to have to look up the Northern Hemisphere #2 Peak. I’m thinking Mount Saint Elias or Mount Logan.
    Thanks for the update Rob.
    Wayne

#2 is Logan. St. Elias is #4.
    Wayne

Images

I think you're confusing hemispheres with continents Wayne buddy.... All the world's 8000 meter peaks (14 of them, the 14 highest on the world) are in the northern hemisphere. But you dialed the high ones in North America. The highest peaks in the world but not Himalayan are in South America, I've climbed a bunch of those, which are also in the western hemisphere.
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 04-21-2018 at 02:03.

North America. My bad. Mexico has a couple too.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    And BTW, skipping SJ peak would be a shame. Fantastic summit on a worthy peak. I do realize it is not the official PCT, but I only talked to a few folks that did NOT do the SJ option. Most fellow PCT hikers in my little bubble did do it. Not enough samples to be statistically relevant, but just sayin.
    Thanks Rob for all the clarification. Hey, if I even get anywhere CLOSE to.S.J., it'll be a miracle! So far, the longest backpack I've ever done was 80 miles -- so, if I even do that much, I'll still be about 100 miles short of S.J.
    However IF I do make it that far - well, just have ta see what happens!

The payoff at the summit is a sturdy stone house with bunk beds. It’s all downhill from the top to I-10.
    Go for it!
    Wayne

Images

Thanks Rob for all the clarification. Hey, if I even get anywhere CLOSE to.S.J., it'll be a miracle! So far, the longest backpack I've ever done was 80 miles -- so, if I even do that much, I'll still be about 100 miles short of S.J.
    However IF I do make it that far - well, just have ta see what happens!
    I'm not sayin' it's a piece of cake, but the southern CA portion of the PCT is pretty darn easy walking, the challenge of these miles is the sun, heat, wind, sand, snakes, bees and water supply. Just as folks on the PCT forum have been saying, the miles slide by... I was able to walk 25-30% more miles per day than on the AT. Easy grades. At least, until you do get to Idyllwild and start up San Jacinto.... Yikes, that's a big climb from town! I think I already said that somewhere....

I never did wander over to that cabin near the summit Wayne, I should have I suppose. I was anxious to lose as much altitude as possible before dark/camp.

I'm not sayin' it's a piece of cake, but the southern CA portion of the PCT is pretty darn easy walking, the challenge of these miles is the sun, heat, wind, sand, snakes, bees and water supply. Just as folks on the PCT forum have been saying, the miles slide by... I was able to walk 25-30% more miles per day than on the AT. Easy grades. At least, until you do get to Idyllwild and start up San Jacinto.... Yikes, that's a big climb from town! I think I already said that somewhere....
    well, I know it starts out easy, but there's some climbing before Idyllwild.
    There's a 5 mile climb from Hauser to Lake Merino, right? And more climbing into Mt. Laguna? Also, I seem to remember 2 days of solid climbing which I think started at that 3rd gate water cache. ...

Images

well, I know it starts out easy, but there's some climbing before Idyllwild.
    There's a 5 mile climb from Hauser to Lake Merino, right? And more climbing into Mt. Laguna? Also, I seem to remember 2 days of solid climbing which I think started at that 3rd gate water cache. ...
    Sure there's climbing, like those spots you mention, but it's a gentle grade compared to most climbs on the AT, for example. But of course in a lot of places you're carrying way more water than on some trails; I think I carried 5 liters once or twice.

What makes southern California so easy is the fantastic tread.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Sure there's climbing, like those spots you mention, but it's a gentle grade compared to most climbs on the AT, for example. But of course in a lot of places you're carrying way more water than on some trails; I think I carried 5 liters once or twice.
    That's true. I'm training for another go at it in September, training with a fairly heavy pack. I figure the more I train, the lighter the pack will feel, but so far it still feels pretty heavy!

I don’t have the PCT profile in front of me, but the trail elevation through Southern California south of Idyllwild is not very high. SJ Peak is 10,800’. That will get your attention, but trailhead parking lots in New Mexico and Colorado are that high and the trails go uphill from there.
    But it’s just walking.
    Wayne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++