WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tuscarora Trail, North end

Last May, I hiked this section NOBO as a 67 year old noob (and smoker) with a couple of younger fellows. We averaged about 2MPH until my knee gave out on me with about a mile to go. I've been popping glucosamine chondroitin for the last year, and am going to try it again quite soon.

Meanwhile I have a buddy who's been section hiking the AT in PA, usually having no problem doing 15-20 mile days. He did this section yesterday, and got humbled a bit.

Here's his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTbdfbOoZbA

Thanks for sharing, I'll be sure to check it out.

This trail is fascinating to me for reasons I'm not quite sure of. I imagine it's what the AT was like 30-40yrs ago.

PA has many rough trails beyond the A.T., such as the Mid State and Standing Stone. I, among some others (including a fellow who has been recognized for hiking all 800 miles of designated State Forest hiking trails in PA, from age 75 to 83), count the Tuscarora north of Hemlocks Natural Area as the roughest backpacking-route trail in PA.

Although the Tuscarora's north and south ends aren't part of it, hiking Great Eastern Trail generally would be much more of an Earl Shaffer 1948 Walking with Spring experience, or perhaps Gene Espy. There have been only three (3) GET thru-hikers to date. (Heck, there are only 14 Mid State Trail End-to-Enders.) Going north from Narrows/Pearisburg, at least there are extant descriptions and/or maps of the entire route that you can find with some digging. http://www.gethiking.net/p/guides.html

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    PA has many rough trails beyond the A.T., such as the Mid State and Standing Stone. I, among some others (including a fellow who has been recognized for hiking all 800 miles of designated State Forest hiking trails in PA, from age 75 to 83), count the Tuscarora north of Hemlocks Natural Area as the roughest backpacking-route trail in PA.

Although the Tuscarora's north and south ends aren't part of it, hiking Great Eastern Trail generally would be much more of an Earl Shaffer 1948 Walking with Spring experience, or perhaps Gene Espy. There have been only three (3) GET thru-hikers to date. (Heck, there are only 14 Mid State Trail End-to-Enders.) Going north from Narrows/Pearisburg, at least there are extant descriptions and/or maps of the entire route that you can find with some digging. http://www.gethiking.net/p/guides.html
    I would agree with every point of this post. I will likely complete the mid state this year. I have so far enjoyed that trail. The north end of the Tuscarora is probably my least favorite trail I have hiked. Between the no trespassing signs and rocks, there are many better options.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree with above comments about north end. Find my earlier posts about the TT. My wife will tell you that I was sobbing after she picked me up after a section - not true but I may have whimpered some.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
    Last May, I hiked this section NOBO as a 67 year old noob (and smoker) with a couple of younger fellows. We averaged about 2MPH until my knee gave out on me with about a mile to go. I've been popping glucosamine chondroitin for the last year, and am going to try it again quite soon.

Meanwhile I have a buddy who's been section hiking the AT in PA, usually having no problem doing 15-20 mile days. He did this section yesterday, and got humbled a bit.

Here's his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTbdfbOoZbA
    Yeah but it was still fun! ...I just won't do that section again, ever lol.

++ New Posts ++