WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hostel Security

Default Hostel Security

I've searched the forum and even the internet and haven't found an answer.

What does one do with one's gear at a bunk room style hostel along the AT? Are there private lockers?

I'm thinking of one goes into town the backpack stays behind. Or even while asleep, it could be pilfered.

I've done weekend trips and stayed in shelters but in my experience people who've hiked to shelters generally leave other's gear alone. I've stayed in hostels and similar while traveling (Alaska, Europe) but always had a private room to lock (I know, locks only keep out honest people). In the army, an unsecured room in the barracks would occasionally have something disappear.

Is this just not a problem?
    Thank you.

My answer is directed toward bunk style hostel accommodations
    -Keep your area tidy and things packed up
    -If going to town, bring with you personal items like wallet, phone, money etc
    -Be mindful of your peers, as much as people want to have this hunky dory "trail fam" atmosphere/mentality you are still surrounded by strangers and people you have known for a very short amount of time. Some people are homeless, hikers or not (Don't call thru hikers homeless, it is by choice), and I personally don't have a moral issue profiling on the trail. The same as I don't have an issue profiling when a rough character is approaching me at a gas station or parking lot.

The only time I have felt like my things were not safe was at the church hostel in Delaware water gap. I was napping on the couch when I woke up a man was aimlessly walking around in the bunk room about an hour before dark. When everyone else woke up from their nap and we confronted him he made a quick conversation and headed for the door. I was game for getting out of there then and there but others didn't want to hike in the dark so we stayed but locked the door.

Trust your gut before you trust others.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

The only time I have felt like my things were not safe was at the church hostel in Delaware water gap. I was napping on the couch when I woke up a man was aimlessly walking around in the bunk room about an hour before dark. When everyone else woke up from their nap and we confronted him he made a quick conversation and headed for the door. I was game for getting out of there then and there but others didn't want to hike in the dark so we stayed but locked the door.

Trust your gut before you trust others.[/QUOTE]
    That’s the hostel a guy was shot and killed a few years ago. I stayed there but put up my tarp in the back. Some of the guests were ill . They had a big hikers feed and AA meetings .

Thom

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    That’s the hostel a guy was shot and killed a few years ago. I stayed there but put up my tarp in the back. Some of the guests were ill . They had a big hikers feed and AA meetings .

Thom
    Correct it is the place of the guy that was shot. I met the long time caretaker and he told us the whole story. I am not a fan of free stuff, and think that if there is a trail town that could use a little polishing and a good "pay for stay" hostel DWG is a good candidate

I just showered ,resupplied , stayed the night outside . Had a good coffee , great ice cream shop, dinner at the bar was great . Hiking N the next day was fabulous.

Thom

Journal Entries

Double posted
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-19-2018 at 04:52.

Journal Entries

Most cheap , cheesy hostels dont provide much security for your stuff. This is reason I prefer private rooms. No worries when out around town taking care of things.

But then again , do you really have anything anyone
    wants? If you got $2000 of nice gear, maybe so.

Nice places provide lockers.

Some have limited access to bunk rooms and gear closets (only 6 people in room, etc, with code to get in). But top quality places....have lockers. Such as the Bivvi in breckenridge.

Just my opinion....you shouldnt consider operating a business without them. People like me...avoid you. Its nice to have place to put your stuff, that isnt on your bunk too. Ive never had an issue, but my first preference is for private room, then bunk room with locker, and very last.. just a bunk room. It depends on clientele too.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-18-2018 at 11:39.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    But then again , do you really have anything anyone
    wants? If you got $2000 of nice gear, maybe so
    Am I snagging this $2000 gear in Georgia or Maine? That $2k Gear in GA is gunna depreciate significantly as it climbs to Maine HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post

Trust your gut before you trust others.

Thom[/QUOTE]

Is there any more information that might be available about that incident? I tried searching the web but didn't dig anything up besides a hiker shooting in self defense back in 1990.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Am I snagging this $2000 gear in Georgia or Maine? That $2k Gear in GA is gunna depreciate significantly as it climbs to Maine HAHA
    Replacement cost...stays....exactly...the...same. and that is what matters.

Its uncommon, but a few hikes have ended when gear dissapeared. A few others kept going on generosity of others.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-18-2018 at 12:38.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Replacement cost...stays...exactly...the...same.

Its uncimmon, but a few hikes have ended when gear dissapeared. A few others kept going on generosity of others.
    From the perspective of the victim cost stays the same, but the desirability of worn out stinky hiker gear is much less than brand new gear
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    From the perspective of the victim cost stays the same, but the desirability of worn out stinky hiker gear is much less than brand new gear
    Thieves arent smart. They take on impulse because its their nature and they have opportunity.

Ive had many worthless things stolen over last 35 yrs , just because no one was around..

The victims perspective...is all that matters.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-18-2018 at 12:45.

Is the same/is this not the same as Hostile Security?

Leonidas

You should treat the hostel environment like your first day in prison. Take a swing at the biggest baddest guy there so you make a name for yourself. Most likely, no one will bother your stuff after that. You will probably get kicked out of the hostel too.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    You should treat the hostel environment like your first day in prison. Take a swing at the biggest baddest guy there so you make a name for yourself. Most likely, no one will bother your stuff after that. You will probably get kicked out of the hostel too.
    This will also be good practice for when you find yourself in jail later that afternoon
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    This will also be good practice for when you find yourself in jail later that afternoon
    All part of the "experience"!
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

-

that did not work for me, I did not get "kicked out" of prison

Hostel and security are two words not normally used in the same sentence. Basically, don't leave anything of value out in plain sight. Something left laying out on a bunk is more likely to go missing (or get lost) then if it's in the pack.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

I have seen this used by a few people at the hostels I have stayed at and they say it works great. They Make a large size as well, but if you are ultra-light minded it weighs in at about 1.5 lbs. with a padlock.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries
    Images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++