WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    ...I will note that the pack liner I purchased from them failed after probably 30-40 days of hiking. It developed pinholes that I couldn't see but my pack got saturated because my cover also failed and the pack liner leaked badly. I have since switched to trash compactor bags which are cheap enough to replace often and bombproof. I would not recommend a cuben pack liner.
    I have similar experience with the Z pack liner.

I suspected some leakage when the content kept getting a lot of moisture inside, even a very small puddle in the bottom.

After one of my summer AT sections, I put my pack liner in the bathtub and filled it with water to find any leaks. Good grief, there were 10-15 little micro-streams leaking through the pack.

All together, I had used this liner a total of six months. It is now retired, and will try a nyloflume liner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Images

Agreeing with most others, my Arc Haul (non CF) is fairly water resistant, but it does leak with extended soaking, but it is 5 years old now. I think it was better when new, but didn't test it as much as recently. It is definitely better than my previous packs, various Ospreys and even a ULA OHM.

I really don't care much, I use one of those UL plastic bag liners, I cannot remember the brand, 1.5 ounces of bomber protection. I don't use any waterproof stuff sacks, they are just not needed for my kit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by meat803 View Post
    CDT Started with same old dyneema arc blast but too damn uncomfortable with long hauls of food and skinny shoulder straps/lack of padding. Basically loads too high for the design. Went with HMG 3400.
    My Arc Haul is finally starting to wear out (after 5 years and many many thousands of miles), and I was thinking about taking a close look at those HMG's, so thanks for this endorsement; it means a lot coming from a triple crowner. AND now that REI carries the brand, it's easier to check out in-person and thoroughly test out.

Is there any real difference between the 2400 and 3400 except size? I see no difference doing a "compare" online.

Journal Entries

Let me end this once and for all. I HAVE NEVER COME ACCROSS A PACK THAT IS WATERPROOF,NOT EVEN A DRY BAG AFTER SOME TIME. Always use a liner. After a few days of rain I stayed at the firehouse in a certain town and water was running out of my pack. Everything stayed dry.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    Let me end this once and for all. I HAVE NEVER COME ACCROSS A PACK THAT IS WATERPROOF,NOT EVEN A DRY BAG AFTER SOME TIME.
    Not sure why a usefull discussion should "end once and for all" just because you decided to yell something that's pretty obvious to most.

Some packs are pretty darn waterproof and would work for a while w/o any liner protection, like the Arc Haul. I would bet you could take a brand new Arc Haul, fill it with stuff, roll the top closed and hold it under water for a half hour and the stuff would stay dry. After a year or two of typical use however....
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 11-27-2020 at 20:50.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++