WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Precip Rain Pants?

I have a Vertice rain jacket that I just splurged on and can't wait to use, but currently nothing in the way of rain pants. We'll be on the AT for a week in May. I'm on the fence about rain pants. My husband bought some bizarre but functional ones from overseas for like $25 a few months ago, so he's bringing them. I could always do the old garbage bag kilt in a pinch, I suppose. The regular Precips are on sale for $50 plus ship at Sierra or $59 including ship at Backcountry. I guess they could double as camp pants.

If I'm going to buy anything, I'd rather buy something breathable and a little more durable than Frogg Toggs, etc. I guess I could hunt Goodwill, but I never seem to have any luck there. The ones I saw on Ebay used are almost as much as these are new. When we get to do the real deal thru hike, I think it's a no brainer, but for a week, I'm really on the fence. Thoughts?

TIA!

Laurel

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Laurel View Post
    I have a Vertice rain jacket that I just splurged on and can't wait to use, but currently nothing in the way of rain pants. We'll be on the AT for a week in May. I'm on the fence about rain pants. My husband bought some bizarre but functional ones from overseas for like $25 a few months ago, so he's bringing them. I could always do the old garbage bag kilt in a pinch, I suppose. The regular Precips are on sale for $50 plus ship at Sierra or $59 including ship at Backcountry. I guess they could double as camp pants.

If I'm going to buy anything, I'd rather buy something breathable and a little more durable than Frogg Toggs, etc. I guess I could hunt Goodwill, but I never seem to have any luck there. The ones I saw on Ebay used are almost as much as these are new. When we get to do the real deal thru hike, I think it's a no brainer, but for a week, I'm really on the fence. Thoughts?

TIA!

Laurel
    never had rain pants in my life, had always heard the conventional "wisdom" about them being waste talked about here and other places.

facing a trip across the smokies last may with rain, wind and temps in the 50s forecasted i bought a pair. smartest move i ever made. i likely would have bailed without them.

Thank you for sharing that experience. I'll probably cave and buy a pair. I can use them for camp pants if nothing else.

Where on the AT in May?

My inclination would be to skip them by then, but it's not going to hurt to have them. Something to keep the rain flowing down a little further than your waist doesn't hurt. I've used a pair of old Sierra Designs Microlight pants in the past with them cut off above the knee. That eliminates/reduces the amount of water soaking in to your underwear and helps you control temperature a bit. Some people wear a rain kilt as an alternative. Ultralight, inexpensive, and only 3-4 ounces. Here's one example:
    https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/pr...mld-rain-kilt/

We're starting at Amicalola and going as far as we can -- probably Dick's Creek or at the most Deep Gap. We have to get back to the car early 5/13 to drive home. I was looking at the kilts on MLD just now. The Vertice is hip length so not too bad and my pants are lightly water resistant (if it's warm enough, I'd just zip off the bottoms, though). We're talking something like 6 or 7 oz for the Precip, I think, without the full zips, which I don't think I need.

Leonidas

If you were going to be in the Smokies, I would agree on rain pants. For the section you are doing, I would bring a rain kilt personally. I made 3-4 out of a sheet of tyvek I bought on Amazon along with some tyvek tape and velcro. I think the "kit" cost me ~$20. Each kilt weighs 3 oz.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Thanks, Leonidas!

My Precip rain pants are always in my pack. They came in handy on a recent BMT hike when fording the freezing, Noland Creek with water up to my mid thighs. I often hike in them if there are a lot of creek crossings and it's not too warm.

I have two pair. An older model and the newer one with Velcro tabs for adjustment. For some reason, the Velcro tends to rub against my waist unless I 'tuck in' my undershirt. My only complaint.

Thank you, Traffic Jam! I am probably going to go troll Goodwill, just in case my luck will change, and then order them. With the sale price and the fact that at some point I'm going to need them, it seems to make sense!

You have to watch Goodwill sometimes. Rain gear may look perfect, but be old and leak, and not hold any treatment. I hope that’s not your luck, but think about it.

Now, that's a super valid point. I guess if it was only a few bucks you could bring it home and shower test it, but otherwise probably not worth it!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Laurel View Post
    Thank you, Traffic Jam! I am probably going to go troll Goodwill, just in case my luck will change, and then order them. With the sale price and the fact that at some point I'm going to need them, it seems to make sense!
    Can buy pu coated nylon ski pants. Cut out insulation and liner, leaving outer shell. $3

That's true! Thanks, MuddyWaters!

FWIW - I have rain pants and jacket that I bring with me as a matter of routine. As many will tell you, its not so much staying dry in them, it's about staying warm especially when you are wet and have to hunker down somewhere to wait out a hard rain that drops the temperature from 85 degrees to 55 with a wind. Those are the kind of conditions where hypothermia lurks. Those conditions are well beyond uncomfortable, so I prepare for the eventuality which most anyone who spends time on trails over the years will likely get tangled up in on occasion.

Absolutely, Traveler. They need to be in my inventory, even if there's times I don't take them or opt not to use them. I just ordered them up, so that's a guarantee I'll find new with tags at Goodwill if I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    FWIW - I have rain pants and jacket that I bring with me as a matter of routine. As many will tell you, its not so much staying dry in them, it's about staying warm especially when you are wet and have to hunker down somewhere to wait out a hard rain that drops the temperature from 85 degrees to 55 with a wind. Those are the kind of conditions where hypothermia lurks. Those conditions are well beyond uncomfortable, so I prepare for the eventuality which most anyone who spends time on trails over the years will likely get tangled up in on occasion.
    this ^^^^^^^

YUP! And of course I do want to point out that now that I will have them and will be prepared, everybody can plan on the driest week on the AT ever while we're there. And that will be fine too.

I did my section in May and took a pair of Dri Ducks pants. I never used them, but since they only cost $10 and only weighed 4.5 oz, it wasn't a big penalty. It's unlikely to be cold enough to need rain pants in May, but it's possible. I had a few sub-freezing nights, but not when it was raining.

Skip the rain pants.
    The only time I used mine was below 40 and wet (thunderstorms in the smokies) and below freezing (few weeks in March)

In May I think you’ll be fine, just hike through it

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

synthetic, tight, long johns are much better unless you're looking at frigid temps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++