WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Backpack when climbing Mount Katahdin

What is typical for the last stretch of a NoBo AT Thru hike when you get to the base of mount Katahdin - where do you stay/camp and where do you leave your backpack (I'm assuming you don't take all your gear with you up the mountain .. or do you?)?

Pretty simple, leave your pack on the porch at the Katahdin Stream Campground rangers headquarters, sign the last register and borrow a daypack that are kept there. When you come down drop off the daypack, sign the register that you have come down and grab your pack. Unless someone is meeting you the AT lodge runs a shuttle to Millinocket in the afternoon. Alternatively have a campsite booked at KSC. Note more than a few thruhikers insist on carrying their pack to the summit. It can be done but it really can get in the way through the boulder section of of the Hunt Trail. If you are planning to come down via another trail then carry your pack up unless the person you are getting a ride from is willing to drive back to KSC.

Journal Entries

If your pack is 30 lbs, by all means take a loaner pack.

If its 10 lbs, it dont matter.
    You can leave uneeded gear or food (sobo) in packliner ( garbage bag) at the rangers. Label it "not garbage!"
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-13-2018 at 11:58.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If your pack is 30 lbs, by all means take a loaner pack.

If its 10 lbs, it dont matter.
    You can leave uneeded gear in packliner ( garbage bag) at the rangers. Label it "not garbage!"
    Great! I have a Zpacks Arc haul backpack with the Zpacks liner. I also have a very lightweight and compact Sea-to-summit daypack that doubles as a stuff sack and shopping bag. It sounds like I have options. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Pretty simple, leave your pack on the porch at the Katahdin Stream Campground rangers headquarters, sign the last register and borrow a daypack that are kept there. When you come down drop off the daypack, sign the register that you have come down and grab your pack. Unless someone is meeting you the AT lodge runs a shuttle to Millinocket in the afternoon. Alternatively have a campsite booked at KSC. Note more than a few thruhikers insist on carrying their pack to the summit. It can be done but it really can get in the way through the boulder section of of the Hunt Trail. If you are planning to come down via another trail then carry your pack up unless the person you are getting a ride from is willing to drive back to KSC.
    That is simple and very convenient! Thanks for the info, peakbagger!

... have a campsite booked at KSC...
    I've read that often sometimes the campsite gets booked up. can I/should I call a day or two ahead for a reservation?

uh-oh (alarm bells going off). If you are asking this question it means you have lot of research to do. There is a sticky for Nobos and Sobos. Yes, Katahdin Stream Campground books up full on a frequent basis and is very popular there is no stealth camping in the park. If you know what dates you want you need to go on the BSP website and look up the dates on the online reservation system and book them now. If someone is giving you a ride you have the option of a couple of campgrounds to chose from but if you are NoBo then your only option is to check the reservations in Monson with the ATC staff that are stationed in town. The alternative is to take a chance on one of the slots at the Birches. These tend to fill up quickly every day from about Sept 1st until park closing date. The Birches are not available to Sobos.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kulliman View Post
    Great! I have a Zpacks Arc haul backpack with the Zpacks liner. I also have a very lightweight and compact Sea-to-summit daypack that doubles as a stuff sack and shopping bag. It sounds like I have options. Thanks for the info!
    Yep, your backpack is lighter than most daypacks.....just stash gear/food ksc rangers is an approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulliman View Post
    What is typical for the last stretch of a NoBo AT Thru hike when you get to the base of mount Katahdin - where do you stay/camp and where do you leave your backpack (I'm assuming you don't take all your gear with you up the mountain .. or do you?)?
    i always took my pack up with me. why wouldn't you?

Journal Entries

If it were me I would call 1-2 weeks ahead, it fills up fast. Good Luck.
    Blackheart

Hi Kulliman, your questions are answered here:

The Nobo’s guide to Baxter and Katahdin for 2018
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Yep, your backpack is lighter than most daypacks.....just stash gear/food ksc rangers is an approach.
    That's what I did. There were some heavy duty trash bags some people had left so I just tossed the stuff I didn't need in one and carried my much lighter pack. I saw no reason to carry a 28 lb. pack up and down Katahdin, and I'm glad I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i always took my pack up with me. why wouldn't you?
    When I get to the point where I'll finish the A.T. I'm taking my full pack with me. The way I see it, my pack earned the right to see the end too.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    When I get to the point where I'll finish the A.T. I'm taking my full pack with me. The way I see it, my pack earned the right to see the end too.
    You will no doubt quickly regret that decision
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You will no doubt quickly regret that decision
    no he won't

It depends, a nice sunny calm day during the week with someone meeting the thru hiker at the bottom, haul up the backpack and take your time. On the other hand, I find some thru hikers a bit stressed that they need to get down early to get on the shuttle and in general in a rush to get to the summit. A full backpack will slow them down relative to their normal pace in the boulder field. In windy conditions its best to head up with pack with a small surface area as the wind can really catch on larger pack. Its a decision I expect most folks dont worry about until the night before.

Realistically if I had someone meeting me, if it was a nice calm day predicted, I would have them meet me on the East side of the mountain at Roaring Brook and ditch the backpack so I could do the Knife Edge or Hamlin Ridge down. The Knife Edge can be done with a backpack but it generally requires taking the pack off and handing it down in one tight spot and cut down a bit on the scrambling options.

It depends, a nice sunny calm day during the week with someone meeting the thru hiker at the bottom, haul up the backpack and take your time. On the other hand, I find some thru hikers a bit stressed that they need to get down early to get on the shuttle and in general in a rush to get to the summit.
    You are right, it depends. I had to start my day at Abol Bridge, get up and down Katahdin, then hitch a ride to Millinocket. There was no way I was taking a full pack up Mt. Katahdin. Again, I'm glad I didn't. Some of the middle section, particularly when it becomes climbing, not walking, is best done with a light pack. I would never judge anyone who wanted to take a full overnight kit up and down though.

Journal Entries

I tend to agree with shinnbones and Lone Wolf. I carried that pack for every mile to get down to the last 5 miles. To not take it with me just doesn't seem right.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I tend to agree with shinnbones and Lone Wolf. I carried that pack for every mile to get down to the last 5 miles. To not take it with me just doesn't seem right.
    most thru-hikers slackpack a lot these days so that sentiment means nothing

Journal Entries

I'm not most thru-hikers.
    Blackheart

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++