WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I'm not most thru-hikers.
    nor i. i've never slackpacked

I sort of figured I carried my pack up the approach trail, all the way from springer to KSC, i could carry it another 10 miles (roundtrip Katahdin - KSC). My base weight was about 11 pounds so I carried about 14 pounds up to the peak. However, coming down was not fun, my knees were groaning the whole way. As I remember, there were one or two sites (besides the birches) that were in KSC that were first come, first served and they were empty on 9/27/16. But a couple of us had already reserved a site at KSC.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I carried 11 days of food up and over, like a real man.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I carried 11 days of food up and over, like a real man.
    and why wouldn't you after 2100 miles? it's just walkin'. 10 more miles ain't jack

Garlic
    Images

After my hike, I was averse to turning around so I kept hiking north down to Chimney Pond and out to Roaring Brook TH, where it was easy to Yogi a ride to town. So I carried the backpack, though at that point, out of food, it was very light. It felt pretty good to be hiking off the AT for a few miles, after seeing so many white blazes for so long.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I had a ride picking me up at Roaring Brook so I carried my pack up, then down the Cathedral Trail. I survived. The pack and my rain pants needed small patches after a slip and fall on a slab of rock.

I expect the down climb down Cathedral trail was quite "interesting" I think I would do the Knife Edge over a down climb of Cathedral unless it was windy. Realistically I expect the chance of loosening up rocks onto people downslope is probably the biggest issue.

No matter how you head east and down off the summit its surprising how so many thru hikers skip that side of the mountain while they are there for possibly the only time of their life.

Knife edge was the original plan, but weather wouldn't allow it. No one passed me on their way up Cathedral and one group of 6 20 somethings blew past me on their way down. I'll admit, there were a few times where I questioned my sanity, but slow and easy got me where I was going with minimal drama.

most thru-hikers slackpack a lot these days so that sentiment means nothing
    This is what I am seeing on youtube videos and in trail journals. Heck, there is one guy that I doubt he is carryin a tent, I've never seen him use one yet. And he is in northern VA so far. All slackpacking, hostels, hotels, a shelter here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    ... its surprising how so many thru hikers skip that side of the mountain while they are there for possibly the only time of their life.
    I've always thought that too. In my opinion, what is just beyond the AT terminus is more spectacular than anything along the white blazes. No complaints though, I enjoy the solitude over there.

I was on the east side at Roaring Brook last fall. A couple of years ago we did the Northern Peaks trail, we left Chimney Pond early on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend went up Hamlin Ridge and then took the Northern Peaks Trail (spectacular) didnt see anyone at all until we walked into Russel Pond. This year we are going up from Wassataquoik Lake to Davis Pond for an evening and then up over the NW plateau. The approaches from the east are down right crowded compared to the approaches from the North. Once you head north of Hamlin its rare to see anyone.

Its too bad thru hikers are in such a rush to head home, probably the best least crowded hiking in the east is just a couple of miles away from the summit sign.

Duplicate post
    Last edited by peakbagger; 04-18-2018 at 05:19.

Journal Entries

Lone Wolf we agree on a lot of things when it comes to taking a long walk off the beaten path.
    Blackheart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++