WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Skipping the Approach Trail

Section hiking solo NOBO in May and have decided (I think) to skip the approach trail. Can I assume that for a reasonable fee someone will drive to the to the parking lot at Springer? If not, I will have to take time off the end as time is limited. Thoughts?

Springer may be iconic, but the falls at Amicalola are a whole lot more scenic. Yes, you can get a shuttle to Springer, but why skip a really nice starting point?

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Springer may be iconic, but the falls at Amicalola are a whole lot more scenic. Yes, you can get a shuttle to Springer, but why skip a really nice starting point?
    I get that and that has been the debate rolling around in my head for months. But I want to make it to the NOC in 13 days with one Zero and one Nero. Not sure I could pull that off if I do the approach trail.

Images

maybe the compromise position the OP should consider would be spending an hour or two seeing the falls before getting that ride to (close to) springer.

Ron Brown is up there seemingly daily: Ron's Appalachian Trail Shuttle - 706-669-0919.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Countyline View Post
    I get that and that has been the debate rolling around in my head for months. But I want to make it to the NOC in 13 days with one Zero and one Nero. Not sure I could pull that off if I do the approach trail.
    Well, your planning about 11.7 mpd for 11.5 days of hiking.

Hike 12.4 for 11.5 days, and you can do approach too.

Thats about 21 min more hiking per day on avg.

The 8.8 mile approach is 7.8 less than springer, since you have to backtrack to summit from fs42. Its literally 5 hrs avg.

Your avoiding 5 hrs out of 13 days. Btw, the falls are the highlite of ga.. these are all very doable #s for anyone in shape and reasonable pack.

If you cant add the approach, your not going to make it to noc anyway. That 8 miles wont break it for you. If you dont WANT to hike it, fine. No need to. If you do, go for it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-11-2018 at 16:34.

Definitely don't skip the arch and the falls. The stairs can be fun, but the rest it worth it. You'll make it with time to spare, there's plenty of opportunity to catch some miles on the 1st section and lots of places to camp (if you aren't planning a shelter area to shelter area type hike).
    - Trail name: Thumper

Don't miss the falls and the stairs.

I am so glad another "Approach Thread" has been created. Never knew so much was to be said about an uphill 8.8 miler that connects 2200 miles of trail to a parking lot. Why in the world the AT has not been changed to terminate at the arch behind the visitor center is beyond me
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

skip it. and get a shuttle from 1 of the dozens of shuttlers

To answer the OP- yes you can get a shuttle. There are dozens of threads with names and numbers to help you. Also- I would do your schedule as well if I were you. The falls can wait another day. You want to hike the AT, not the approach trail.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    To answer the OP- yes you can get a shuttle. There are dozens of threads with names and numbers to help you. Also- I would do your schedule as well if I were you. The falls can wait another day. You want to hike the AT, not the approach trail.
    Agreed. Return to the falls when you have the time to fully enjoy their beauty, instead of rushing past them to get to where you really want to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Skip it.

The AT is far more the the sum of its parts.

Those falls — like most any single feature, view or vista — will hardly be missed in the long run, but I expect your 13 day trip will stay with you for a lifetime.

If you find yourself with a spare 21 minutes a day, spend it looking at the stars or a squirrell or soaking your feet or some other far more worthy endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I am so glad another "Approach Thread" has been created. Never knew so much was to be said about an uphill 8.8 miler that connects 2200 miles of trail to a parking lot. Why in the world the AT has not been changed to terminate at the arch behind the visitor center is beyond me
    I've kind of wondered that myself.

Having hiked the approach trail on a section hike, I'm good with not doing it again.

But I almost feel it deserves its own essay entry.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdi...p/364-Articles ...

By all means HYOH, but here are the reasons to do the approach trail.

Most of the approach trail was part of the AT before they moved the start to Springer.
    It is an important memory for those who have written about their thru hike. They seem to give it special attention.
    It's not that hard after the stairs. I've hiked it round trip several times as a day hike.
    When meeting thru hikers on the approach trail they often have that "what have I done?" look in their eyes. It's fun when they share their optimism and excitement about what is to come.

Journal Entries

Approach is just normal southern AT. After stairs
    Falls are highlight of GA really.imo. particularly after heavy rain.

Took me under 4 hr to do approach.
    Rest of day is downhill and ez anyway after springer
    I started about 11am, still managed 17 mi the first day to end at Hawk mtn shelter, with plenty daylight left. Ate at stover creek, then walked to Hawk afterwards. So did another young kid with much heavier pack.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-14-2018 at 01:04.

Skip the approach trail and then after you have done a thru hike you have an excuse to go back and revisit the approach trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I know BigFoot covered this in a video and apparently it would literally take an act of Congress to move it.

Never understood why someone would skip the Approach Trail.... Do Everest climbers skip Base Camp?
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Never understood why someone would skip the Approach Trail.... Do Everest climbers skip Base Camp?
    never understand why someone would skip the creeper trail, wesser creek trail, etc., etc., etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++