WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for suggestions for a Windscreen?

Up to this point I've been using a small piece of carbon felt from Mini Bull Designs for my cooking windscreen. However, it tends to blow into my cookpot or even blow away when the wind picks up. Does any one have any suggestions for a sturdy and lightweight DIY solution for a windscreen? I live close to a Lowe's Hardware store and figure there's got to be some materials there I can use to make something on my own.

Images

aluminum foil or something like that is what some people use....

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biggameken View Post
    Up to this point I've been using a small piece of carbon felt from Mini Bull Designs for my cooking windscreen. However, it tends to blow into my cookpot or even blow away when the wind picks up. Does any one have any suggestions for a sturdy and lightweight DIY solution for a windscreen? I live close to a Lowe's Hardware store and figure there's got to be some materials there I can use to make something on my own.
    Get a caldera Cone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Images

and maybe in lowes' look in their duct work section and they might have thicker foil....

What kind of stove? What works for a Fancy Feast Alcohol stove might not work for a BRS or Pocket Rocket. For my Fancy Feast, I made a beer can screnn from 2 Bronco edition Budlight cans. There is a you tube video on how to make the seams, edges, etc. I was able to modify it for the BRS but I made it short enough to pit in my pot so it doesn't give the best coverage.

Images

consider this.........
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxhup9q1-xc

the trick is to match your pot and windscreen so that the wind screen can be stored inside the pot. you probably already knew that

Journal Entries

theres a role of aluminum flashing at home depot/lowes thats about $11 that people use. It has a laquer on it that will burn off and turn brown and smell while it does, but no problem
    used it for years.

+1 on aluminum flashing. I used some we had leftover from our last roofing job. Couple things I do that help make it work well for me:

1) After cutting it, I de-burred the edges with some steel wool, just going over it for maybe 5 minutes while watching TV.
    2) You want some air to come in below, so you can either punch some holes in there, along the bottom edge, or elevate it with mini IDL binder clips. I use one anyway to hold the ends together to make it a tube. So I just put the "pinch wires" back so that it elevates the whole cylinder a bit, letting air come in below the bottom edge of the flashing.
    3) Initially, I rolled mine up and put it in an old tennis ball container, and inside the rolled up flashing, I slipped in the alcohol stove, clips, matches, alcohol container, etc. Keeps it all tidy.

Lots of great suggestions here. Thank you everyone. For those who asked, I use a fancee feast alcohol stove. Love it!!!

I use a fancy feast also. Disposable aluminum oven liners work well for me. They are basically like heavy duty foil but stiffer and more durable. Depending on the diameter of your pot you may have to cut out a diagonal section. I use a paper clip to hold the ends together when I set it up around my stove and I store it in my pot or wrapped around a fuel bottle.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hefty-EZ-...-2-Ct/39108772
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Thank you. I will check this out as well. I watched the caldera cone videos and the beer can videos on YouTube. I think the beer can method would be the more compact and light solution. I'll check out the oven liners too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    I use a fancy feast also. Disposable aluminum oven liners work well for me. They are basically like heavy duty foil but stiffer and more durable. Depending on the diameter of your pot you may have to cut out a diagonal section. I use a paper clip to hold the ends together when I set it up around my stove and I store it in my pot or wrapped around a fuel bottle.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hefty-EZ-...-2-Ct/39108772

I use flashing with my eCHS stove. One thing to consider is that the wind screen is just one component of an alcohol system. It controls air input, heat output, air flow, etc. It does much more than block the wind. When optimized, all parts of the system work together. There are UL options that block the wind but don't accomplish the other functions necessary for an optimized system. There is nothing wrong with that, but if your objective is to optimize your system performance, then a screen with more structure (such as a cone) may be in order.

http://hikinghq.net/sgt_stove/wind_screen.html

Here is a link you can check out for some instructions on the best dimensions for a wind screen.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by biggameken View Post
    I would say aluminum or titanium would be your best bet. You can fold over aluminum foil until it is thick enough to work, or cut a piece out of an aluminum disposable baking tray or pan. Of course I know a guy that makes really nice titanium windscreens that fit right in your pot.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    You can fold over aluminum foil until it is thick enough to work, or cut a piece out of an aluminum disposable baking tray or pan.
    Go to a food supply store (around here it would be Gordon Food Supply) and get one of the large disposable aluminum covers for banquet trays. Easy to cut with scissors, thick enough to hold its shape, thin enough to fold up and store in your pack.

Images

Make one like this or I can give you one, u pay $4.00 postage

Can also make one from .005" Ti foil. (better yet, just buy one from QiWiz or take up zelph on his offer! )

I made a cone for a Titan pot used with a FF... no need for the pot to rest on the cone because the FF is stove/pot support all in one. One of my anal-ytical criteria is that the whole kaboodle fits inside the pot.

windscreen&FF burner.jpg Assembled_setup_edited-1.jpg windscreen02.jpg

Journal Entries

Like QiWiz said. Go to the grocery store and buy a couple of aluminum baking pans, they usually come in packages of two. Cut the bottom out of one and form your screen out of it. You can Also make a small circle piece to place under your stove to reflect the heat up of the ground or table top. These should be able to roll or fold up to fit inside your cook set.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    http://hikinghq.net/sgt_stove/wind_screen.html

Here is a link you can check out for some instructions on the best dimensions for a wind screen.
    Made one from this website many years ago...excellent...lasted many months.....

craft stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby sell a heavier gauge of foil, I think it's called tooling foil. It's easy to cut to size and foil the edges, even punch holes with a hole punch. I've made several windscreens using it

++ New Posts ++