WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Carpooling from Durango to Denver for CT thru-hike.

Dear Whiteblaze forum users,

I am doing my first ever thru-hike on the CT this summer! Right now I am considering transportation options for getting to the start in Denver. I live in Durango and I am planning to leave my car here so I have it when I return. I could take the Greyhound, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to try to find a ride with a kind Samaritan already headed that way. Lots of people travel to Denver everyday, after all. It think it could be a much more comfortable and probably more convenient way of getting to where I need. I plan to start in late June, as soon the snow has melted enough. If anyone has traveled this way I would appreciate input, or if anyone knows of someone who can give me a ride that would be even better! There are a few websites designed to help people find rides for road trips like this. Has anyone used one of these? There is also ride sharing on Craigslist.

I'm interested in any criticism of my plans or input on means of transportation to the trailhead. From what I hear transportation to the trailhead can be a tricky thing to sort out for many thru-hiker and I appreciate any help and wisdom anyone has. Thanks.

Regards,
    Max

Journal Entries

Flying isnt that bad.

Done right.

I see right now, could take afternoon durango to denver, then denver to houston. Overnight layover houston, fly home next morning. All for 12500 freq flyer miles ,$125 value. If dont mind spending 6 hrs overnight in airport.

All im saying is, the flights can be cheap. You dont have to complete all legs....just first one

It’s only about $100 one way rental last time I looked...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    It’s only about $100 one way rental last time I looked...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Winner. Find riders to split the rental. Or not.
    There are quick convenient shuttle services from Breckinridge to Denver. Avoid going to the airport and then have to trek back across Denver to the trailhead.
    Wayne

Flying does sound nice. I have never actually booked my own air travel. How do I go about finding the cheapest fair? I only need to fly one way to Denver. It's ok to book a round trip that is cheaper and not show up for the return flight?

I hadn't considered a rental, thanks for the good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Winner. Find riders to split the rental. Or not.
    There are quick convenient shuttle services from Breckinridge to Denver. Avoid going to the airport and then have to trek back across Denver to the trailhead.
    Wayne
    So it would be easier to take the rental to Breckinridge then shuttle to Denver to avoid going to the airport?

Quote Originally Posted by Durangatang View Post
    So it would be easier to take the rental to Breckinridge then shuttle to Denver to avoid going to the airport?
    Unnecessary. You can rent at Enterprise/Budget/Hertz (any bigger name) and they will have drop off locations MUCH closer than the Denver airport. Your goal is to get to Littleton, CO with the rental, not DIA. Alternatively, you can take a Greyhound from Durango to Denver on June 28th for only $62. Busses take much longer, but you can sleep, read, listen to music, etc. By the time you factor in TSA lines and getting from DIA to Littleton, CO once in Denver - the bus will be about the same amount of time as flying would - And probably MUCH less hassle. I am starting July 5th. See ya out there!

When are you looking at going. The Colorado Trail Race mountain bike race starts in Denver on July 29th. They alternate starts each year. Odds are probably decent someone in Durango is going to be doing that race and perhaps you could get a ride that way.

**Sorry, I see your start is in June. You might still check some biking forums. Lots of folks do that on bike.
    Last edited by Uncle Joe; 04-12-2018 at 12:56.

A quick car rental search finds several rental offices in Littleton, CO. Get an Uber ride to the trailhead.
    One way car rentals are popular with long distance hikers. Matt and Julie Urbanski rented a car to get from East Glacier, Montana to Durango during their CDT hike in 2013. Good luck.
    Wayne

I have used one-way rental cars on many occasions. The key is to negotiate the one-way fee. Fundamentally it is supply and demand. If a particular location has "extra" cars they are more likely to cut the one-way fee. If they are running low they usually don't drop the fee. You have to go in person or at least speak to a rep. (preferably the local manager) at your specific location to get fee reduced as the on-line reservation system simply charges the normal fee. Talk up what you are doing as I've found good banter with the staff seems to help. If my local branch won't budge on one-way rate I've also used nearby towns as well i.e. Ft. Collins, CO. Would point out that my experience has only been with Enterprise. One more minor point is that the "we'll pick you up" part of Enterprise has a fairly limited range.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

If you know your dates, or if your dates are flexible, why not post a ride request in the “rideshare” section of the western slope Craigslist?

++ New Posts ++