WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rain Jacket

Default Rain Jacket

What are some rain jackets you all like.
    I've been using Frog Toggs but they're not really rain proof and the one I have is more duct tape than whatever it was originally made of. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of weight for real rain proofness and durability. I was going to get a Montbell Versalite but I believe they stopped making them and I can't find one anywhere. The OR Helium II is light but I'd like a bit more durability and (hopefully), longevity.

thanks

Outdoor Research Helium II jacket.

I use a Marmot PreCip and at 10 oz I like it. Also easy to find on sale (I paid $50). However, if buying new today, no doubt I would go with the OR HeliumII.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

My history of backpacking rain jackets---

** Army poncho with hood and side snaps. New version (not the old Korean War type rubberized canvas).
    ** North Face blue knee length anorak circa 1982---urethane coated---with zippered chest pocket and hood. So very hot when moving.
    ** Marmot Minima paclite goretex---small holes the first two years.
    ** Arcteryx Alpha SV proshell goretex---expensive but still going strong.

Images

Being in the hot and humid southeast, and having tried many jackets, I've learned one important feature to me is pit zips. I've also learned "breathable" is truly fake news.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Being in the hot and humid southeast, and having tried many jackets, I've learned one important feature to me is pit zips. I've also learned "breathable" is truly fake news.
    The purpose of a rain jacket is not to keep me dry but to keep my torso core warm---otherwise I just hike in a t-shirt and shorts in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Fake, and not even new.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I currently use and like the Packa.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

the Marmot Essence is my all time favorite. mostly for it's ultra-lightness (6.3oz) and it does a good job of keeping out the water.

Ill second the Marmot Essence as I ALWAYS bring it with me, however I use mostly in camp. If it is really gonna be raining while I am hiking I bring my frogtogs poncho because I can vent it and it also doubles as my pack cover.

I've used a lot of different rain jackets but have been quite pleased with a $16 poncho I got off Amazon. It easily covers the pack and I don't sweat nearly as much as I did with any rain jacket. I can don and remove it without de-packing, love that feature. It's cheap to try, anyway.

I really like my foul weather jacket from my offshore sailboat racing days. It's lined and vented, managing to keep you dry from the rain without soaking you in sweat. (I sweat at the drop of a hat and even in 80+ degree weather I'd remain pretty comfortable.)

But it weighs about 3 lbs, so I'm not inclined to include it in my backpacking gear.

Other than the made-for-hiker jackets already mentioned, I've found an effective and affordable jacket that doesn't bust the scale are the ones sold at Costco. At about $30 they weigh about 10-16 ounces (depending on size) and hold up well. I've had one for two years now and have hauled it all over the world in my luggage, subjecting it to a fair amount of abuse and it still looks like new.

It's a little heavy if you're being weight conscious, but for a "weekend warrior" application it will keep you dry and let you leave your really nice equipment at home.

Everyone recommends the OR Helium II, but if you're going to pay for an OR jacket, get the OR Helium HD... pit zips are no joke.

I'll also second the recommendation above for the Marmot PreCip. Easy to find on sale for $60ish and has great features.

Quote Originally Posted by khysanth View Post
    Everyone recommends the OR Helium II, but if you're going to pay for an OR jacket, get the OR Helium HD... pit zips are no joke.

I'll also second the recommendation above for the Marmot PreCip. Easy to find on sale for $60ish and has great features.
    Good point on the need for pit zips. It’s a give for me. I have often worn the Marmot jacket but stuck my arms out through the pit zips, to keep core warm and dry but let the arms work.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

The Packa is awesome! Keeps me and my pack dry. Has huge pit zips. Doubles as my pillow.

Journal Entries
    Images

I concur. I have the top and bottoms, though I mostly use the top. The H2 only real drawback is the lack of pit zips. It doubles as a windbreaker, and I have used it a few times when the temps were in the 20s and 30s. It allows me to hike in a baselayer and fleece underneath and be completely comfortable. I adjust my temperature and comfort via the front zipper or simply taking off my hat. With this setup, I'm hyper-vigilant about sweat. It keeps me purposefully hiking dry.

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    Outdoor Research Helium II jacket.

Journal Entries

Had a Marmot PreCip. I switched to a Packa, that keeps me, my straps and my pack dry.
    Blackheart

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Marmot Precip, because it works around town, too. I've contemplated getting a Packa for a while now.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

I went down to the Hyperlite Factory and bought their rain jacket today. 20% off for Black Friday sale that runs through Monday. Very pricey, hope it is worth it.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    What are some rain jackets you all like.
    I've been using Frog Toggs but they're not really rain proof and the one I have is more duct tape than whatever it was originally made of. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of weight for real rain proofness and durability. I was going to get a Montbell Versalite but I believe they stopped making them and I can't find one anywhere. The OR Helium II is light but I'd like a bit more durability and (hopefully), longevity.

thanks
    I just bought a Montbell Versalite Rain Jacket.

Look up their dealer locations (they can order one for you.) or buy directly from their site.

Dealers offer 20% discount....mine did at least. I drove 90 miles to the nearest dealer and had to wait several weeks for the Versalite to be back in stock.

IMG_2747.JPGIMG_2750.JPGIMG_2751.JPG
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 11-25-2017 at 21:06.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++