WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Designing a Better Bear Canister

We are a group of students at the University of Chicago working on designing a better bear canister, and we'd love to get your input to understand how we can improve your backpacking experience. This survey is confidential and should take no more than a few minutes to complete. As a token of our appreciation, complete the survey by 6 pm CT on Friday, 4/13 to be entered in a drawing to win a $100 Amazon gift card!

Please fill out the survey at https://chicagobooth.az1.qualtrics.c...Xo8e6sd3YWuoIJ. Thank you in advance for your help!

I completed your survey and wish you good luck.

As you likely discovered with a bit of googling, as an engineering exercise this is a tough nut to crack with some very high regulatory hurdles thrown in for good measure.

Journal Entries

Only thing that matters is weight, price, and getting approval by yosmite/seki. To be better than existing products that is. Good luck.

Seems they really are focusing on a modular expandable size thing to me. Which is irrelevant imo.

Get out and hike the AT or any trail for a few days or weeks,that might give your group an idea what is needed.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

abeona, assuming you're following up on this thread... a few things to realize (in case you don't already)...

1. Someone recently tried to create a new bear canister... trying to create a solution that was lighter weight and cheaper than what was available. It was a failure. (I believe it was called "Honey Pot" and was a kick-starter campaign. Was "active" as recently as about a year ago, but can't find any evidence of the project with a quick google search anymore).
    2. Bears have an incredible sense of smell... I've heard of studies where food was placed in nested ziplock bags and the bear still had no problem finding the food.
    The purpose of a bear canister isn't to hide the scent of the food, the purpose of the bear canister is to create a package that frustrates the bear so that after he's learned that he can't get into the canister, he quits trying in the future when he encounters the same object and knows he can't get into it.
    3. Personal judgement call... but I believe the concept of building an expandable bear canister is a fool's errand. I don't think it is going to be possible to build a bear canister that can change size AND still keep out a bear without increasing the weight such that the expand-ability just isn't worth it. Perhaps the only possible exception would be some sort of setup where two bear canisters could be combined (i.e. the lid and canister is designed in such a way that a second bear canister could substitute as a lid).

[QUOTE=HooKooDooKu;2204042]abeona, assuming you're following up on this thread... a few things to realize (in case you don't already)...

1. Someone recently tried to create a new bear canister... trying to create a solution that was lighter weight and cheaper than what was available. It was a failure. (I believe it was called "Honey Pot" and was a kick-starter campaign. Was "active" as recently as about a year ago, but can't find any evidence of the project with a quick google search anymore).

This one ?
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/h...ters-camping#/

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    abeona, assuming you're following up on this thread... a few things to realize (in case you don't already)...

2. Bears have an incredible sense of smell... I've heard of studies where food was placed in nested ziplock bags and the bear still had no problem finding the food.
    The purpose of a bear canister isn't to hide the scent of the food, the purpose of the bear canister is to create a package that frustrates the bear so that after he's learned that he can't get into the canister, he quits trying in the future when he encounters the same object and knows he can't get into it.
    3. Personal judgement call... but I believe the concept of building an expandable bear canister is a fool's errand. I don't think it is going to be possible to build a bear canister that can change size AND still keep out a bear without increasing the weight such that the expand-ability just isn't worth it. Perhaps the only possible exception would be some sort of setup where two bear canisters could be combined (i.e. the lid and canister is designed in such a way that a second bear canister could substitute as a lid).
    Thanks for the suggestions! Right now, we're considering a design similar to the one you mentioned (substituting a second part as a lid). As we play around with different designs, we'll evaluate whether or not the ability to adjust bear canister volumes compensates enough for the weight penalty incurred.

Images

I understand a danger with bear canisters is bears rolling them away, even over cliffs to break them or so far away that hikers can't find them, even if they are still intact. Why don't bear canisters have a way to fasten them to a tree, boulder, etc.?

BTW, I tried the link multiple times. It never opened, just "churned" and "churned."
    Last edited by Rain Man; 04-11-2018 at 11:45.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I understand a danger with bear canisters is bears rolling them away, even over cliffs to break them or so far away that hikers can't find them, even if they are still intact. Why don't bear canisters have a way to fasten them to a tree, boulder, etc.?
    As I understand it, the answer is because canisters are designed so that bears cannot get any sort of grip on them. Lightweight canisters are far from indestructible and bears are more than strong enough to break into the average canister if it can get sufficient grip or leverage to get a purchase on the container. This is the reason that when storing canisters on trail it is recommended to not attach rope or webbing, put it any sort of bag, or wedge it in trees or rocks that can potentially give a bear the leverage needed to break the canister open.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I had to turn off my ad blocker to get it to work.

I would use a bear canister all the time if it wasn't a big weight penalty, say less than 2 pounds for a real 6 days of food. That would avoid the hassle of having to hang it every night, sometimes more than once if I forgot to put something in it or need to get something out. If it could replace something in my pack that would help out the weight equation, but I haven't thought of anything since I normally don't carry a stool or a frying pad (lid). If the canister *was* the pack, then that might be something, although I don't want food scent all over my stuff either. Maybe it could be part of the pack and hold water, too. Just brainstorming...

BTW, I tried the link multiple times. It never opened, just "churned" and "churned."

BTW, I tried... multiple times. It never opened, just "churned" and "churned."
    Hopefully that's what the bear says too.

I've spent quite a bit of time in the Sierra Nevada over the past five years and never had a bear so much as move my Bearikade a single inch. I usually keep it within view of my tent so I can see it when inside the tent and I put my stove on top of the canister so I'm alerted if anything messes with the canister. I'm sure bears have smelled the food and come by at night. They apparently know Bearikades are hopeless to get into so they leave it alone. I don't think there's anything wrong with the current canisters on the market when used correctly. Of course if someone can design a lighter and better solution, I'd be interested in it. For the most part, canisters have solved the bear problem in the Sierra Nevada. Bears can no longer get food when food is properly secured. The weak link is human error but it is much harder to screw up using a bear canister than a bear hang.

Journal Entries

Approved cannisters also have only resisted 1 hr of bear play. Pictures have been seen on here before of igbc approved cannister that lil ol black bear ate his way into.

You need to have mindset to defend cannister. Given enough time, an interested bear WILL defeat all of them. Known to do in yosemite by rolling off cliff. Maybe should pass loaded 100' drop test onto concrete also.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-11-2018 at 16:50.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You need to have mindset to defend cannister.
    Agreed. That's why I keep mine a short distance from my tent (maybe 20-30 yards or so) so I can see it from inside my tent and hear it at night. I don't agree with the advice typically given to put it far away from camp. Especially if there's a lot of white noise like a river nearby. I want to know if a bear is messing with my canister. Never happened so far but it could.

I only have experience with black bears. Would probably feel different about grizzlies.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Agreed. That's why I keep mine a short distance from my tent (maybe 20-30 yards or so) so I can see it from inside my tent and hear it at night. I don't agree with the advice typically given to put it far away from camp. Especially if there's a lot of white noise like a river nearby. I want to know if a bear is messing with my canister. Never happened so far but it could.

I only have experience with black bears. Would probably feel different about grizzlies.
    Exactly what experience do you have with black bears? I mean hiking in black bear country isn't exactly like having experience with them...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post

Exactly what experience do you have with black bears? I mean hiking in black bear country isn't exactly like having experience with them...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Experience they are wussies that run away.

I keep mine 10 ft from my tent. Or where it cannot roll away, especially downhill into creek.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Experience they are wussies that run away.
    Yes.

The times I've come across them in the Appalachians (rarely) they run like deer. Even when I surprised a cub and its mother trail running. Mother sent cub up a tree and then followed. I've never seen one in the Sierra Nevda backcountry. I've seen them in the developed areas of Yosemite. There they have little fear.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Exactly who are you to interrogate me about my experiences? Have something to say? Say it.

Images

worked for me a minute ago....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++