WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Scott Jurek Reveals What it Was Like to Run (Not Hike) the Entire Appalachian Trail -

Parade

Scott Jurek Reveals What it Was Like to Run (Not Hike) the Entire Appalachian Trail
    Parade
    It is likely true that Scott Jurek was born to run. Jurek, who has claimed victories in nearly all of ultra-running's elite trail and road events, is easily one of the greatest runners of all time. He's also an author and his new book, NORTH: Finding ...

More...

Journal Entries

Really hard to call 4 mph avg running imo. But whatever.
    Suspected this was planned from start. Surprised it took this long though.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-10-2018 at 20:43.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    From my 2015 Long Trail End-to-End

DSCF5101.jpg

The thread on here following his progress was enlightening - especially how often he "forgot" his Spot device in one of his support vehicles, and how often the suspicious location tracking was quickly edited.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    The thread on here following his progress was enlightening - especially how often he "forgot" his Spot device in one of his support vehicles, and how often the suspicious location tracking was quickly edited.
    In this particular case, I find unspecific references suggesting that Jurek and his team misrepresented his hike to be unfortunate as best.

If you wish to call him a liar, then just do so.

But back it up with more than this kind of bull **** reference to a “thread on here” few are likely to find, much less review critically.

It also might be good to give context to your remarks, and share that you have personal enmity for the man, in part because one of his supporters (I think it was the guy who famously cut off his own arm in a canyoneering accident) popped a bottle of champagne for him on Baxter Peak — and the kerfuffel that followed.

I expect most everyone else with recongnize Jurek’s accomplishment for what it was — remarkable. And not one worthy of the shade you are looking to throw upon it.

4 mph avg is very fast in many areas of the NE.

I do a tiny bit (as in nano-micro-infinitessimally less than a real trail runner) and find that I have to take much smaller steps in order to keep body weigh centered more over the feet. Large, loping steps lead to turned ankles and falls.

The whole FKT thang ain't my cuppa joe but I like following the progress of others who have the talent and incredible physical ability to grind it out.

And I think the FKT community has accepted the validity of Jurek's feat, since eclipsed of course.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    In this particular case, I find unspecific references suggesting that Jurek and his team misrepresented his hike to be unfortunate as best.

If you wish to call him a liar, then just do so.

But back it up with more than this kind of bull **** reference to a “thread on here” few are likely to find, much less review critically.

It also might be good to give context to your remarks, and share that you have personal enmity for the man, in part because one of his supporters (I think it was the guy who famously cut off his own arm in a canyoneering accident) popped a bottle of champagne for him on Baxter Peak — and the kerfuffel that followed.

I expect most everyone else with recongnize Jurek’s accomplishment for what it was — remarkable. And not one worthy of the shade you are looking to throw upon it.
    Well said. Thank you for writing out everything I was thinking.

Nothing I've ever read about Jurek justifies a charge that he falsified his hike in any way. And moving 4 mph, on average, on the AT often for 50+ mile days back to back to back to back to back to back, etc sure as hell qualifies as trail running to me and nearly everyone else.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Nothing I've ever read about Jurek justifies a charge that he falsified his hike in any way. And moving 4 mph, on average, on the AT often for 50+ mile days back to back to back to back to back to back, etc sure as hell qualifies as trail running to me and nearly everyone else.
    Remind me of by how many hrs he beat a supported record by JPD who just....walked....what..3 hrs...

What jpd showed...was walking 18 hrs per day beat running.

How much runnin did stringbean claim? Seems he the only one which matters.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-11-2018 at 13:01.

At least Scott had the gonads to make real time tracking available to everyone unlike all the other FKT attempters.

It also might be good to give context to your remarks, as a dedicated Jurek apologist
    - and as one who participated in that very thread.
    Facts are facts, whether you cry "Fake News!" or not.
    Facts: multiple references on here regarding his Spot moving at high speeds down roads, to posted locations being later edited, to it being off for hours on end.
    Claim it didn't happen if you want, and push your revisionist history if it makes you feel better, rick.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Facts: multiple references on here regarding his Spot moving at high speeds down roads, to posted locations being later edited, to it being off for hours on end.
    as someone who got kicked out of said thread for being repeatedly critical of the whole thing towards the end i can say i only recall one such instance of anything like that happening, in VT, near woodstock.

i cant say i followed the whole thing from to start to end (i picked it up halfway and was out hiking when it finished) but the claim that this happened "multiple" times is news to me.

Let's make it even simpler. It's a lie that tj has repeatedly posted and continues to post to slander someone's incredible effort. It's pathetic and embarrassing.

Remind me of by how many hrs he beat a supported record by JPD who just....walked....what..3 hrs...

What jpd showed...was walking 18 hrs per day beat running.

How much runnin did stringbean claim? Seems he the only one which matters.
    You beat me to it. Thanks.
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++