WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    A better list would not include any of these trails, nor would it be posted publicly on the internet.
    Wayne
    Any chance you could share this better list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The good side of those "Must See" lists is, that the masses rush there and the rest of the world is in peace.

The Camino for example is so terribly crowded, that they developed special techniques to take a leak during hiking without offending too much (there seems to be constantly flocks of hikers passing, and no woods to sneak into).
    Wherelse the Via Dinarica is very new and at places not higly developed nor marked, to a level where there is plenty room for adventure, as far as fiddlehead's report goes.

The Kungsladen has been a bucket list item for years. I'd like to hike it for my 50th birthday.

Looking over this list makes me wonder again why so many people hike the AT when there are so many, so much more spectacular options around the world. . . albeit options without so many people and so much trail culture.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

A better list would not include any of these trails, nor would it be posted publicly on the internet.
    And it was put together by Elvis, I'm sure. ;-)

The problem with suggesting there is a "better" secret list is that for any established long distance trail to be successfully developed and maintained, there has to be a lot of people working on and maintaining it and thus it would not be both an established long distance trail and a secret. That being said, there are surely many not-so-established routes (i.e. not designated trail systems) that can be put together though stunning and beautiful areas, but then it doesn't make a very clean list if the routes are loosely defined.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Looking over this list makes me wonder again why so many people hike the AT when there are so many, so much more spectacular options around the world. . . albeit options without so many people and so much trail culture.
    Because it of cost.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Because it of cost.
    Many other trails in east just as close.
    Its because AT is EASY. Theres no unknowns at all. And theres always plenty other people around for those that are actually scared to be alone , which is 90+% of hikers imo.

Shelters, privys, profile maps showing every water source and place to camp, frequent road crossings in densely inhabited region, excellent cell service, no untamed water crossings rhat depend on weather (at least south of maine), no navigation or route finding needed, short distances between towns, huge hiker support business and shuttle structure. Bottom line, the AT is a safe, low-risk, easy trail for the inexperienced avg hiker. And we wont even mention the party crowd.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-15-2018 at 10:55.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Theres no unknowns at all. And theres always plenty other people around for those that are actually scared to be alone , which is 90+% of hikers imo.
    If the percentage isn't even higher. Then look at all those on here that want to be spoon-fed every detail of their hike.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    And it was put together by Elvis, I'm sure. ;-)

The problem with suggesting there is a "better" secret list is that for any established long distance trail to be successfully developed and maintained, there has to be a lot of people working on and maintaining it and thus it would not be both an established long distance trail and a secret. That being said, there are surely many not-so-established routes (i.e. not designated trail systems) that can be put together though stunning and beautiful areas, but then it doesn't make a very clean list if the routes are loosely defined.
    Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    If the percentage isn't even higher. Then look at all those on here that want to be spoon-fed every detail of their hike.
    When I said that folks needed to do a modicum of self directed personal research before asking to be spoon fed at WhiteBlaze I got flamed.
    One of my favorites: "I'm planning a section hike of Georgia. Where should I send mail drops between Neel Gap and Hiawassee, GA?"
    No worries. Everyone learns differently.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I guess we need a definition of "long trail".
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I guess we need a definition of "long trail".
    Wayne
    But then we would also need a definition of thru hike ;-)

Some of these trails are mandated, marked and maintained, as the AT. Others are just an arbitrary amalgamation of trails with a name attached to it. The Great Himalayan Trail is just one (or two) specific paths out of thousands of miles of trails that have been used by locals for thousands of years. So there is nothing to stop you from creating your own long trail. It's just marketing.

For those who want spectacular mountains with no shelters, resupply towns, tourists, bridges, cell phone service, decent maps, guide books, marked trails, etc..., check out the Pamir Mountains of Tajikistan. It's on my bucket list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++