WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry #1 View Post
    And we did the math and $45 ain't cutting it if I am going to pay for good help and run a clean joint..... while putting money in the bank. This boy is tired of living under the poverty line. And this ain't the only rod I got in the fire, I also [plan on opening a couple of other hostels on the Trans Am bike route.....something to do until I kick off of this bucket of rocks we call earth
    By all means, charge what you want and think maximizes your profit. You asked for feedback and I gave mine.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    this is very confusing...
    is larry smoked up when posting?

-

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    By all means, charge what you want and think maximizes your profit. You asked for feedback and I gave mine.
    feedback was asked for and given - basically no one said they would pay 45 for a hostel - so he said he will charge 50

not at all a plan to maximize revenue

oh, and a b+b license changes nothing for hikers

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    feedback was asked for and given - basically no one said they would pay 45 for a hostel - so he said he will charge 50
    As others have said, this whole thread is getting weird and confusing.

Not to quibble over $5, but in point of fact, he said $45:

Good point...........

Okay I am going to drop the price to $45 and be done with it....

But maybe it's $45 if you get a room without weed, $50 with...

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Not to quibble over $5, but in point of fact, he said $45:
    Well he did. But, he has edited his post to $50.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

We lose money on every transaction. We’re gonna make it up in volume...

My first experience at Larry's was 2012, I needed something that he had for sale (No, not weed) and he gave it to me for free, brewed a pot of coffee, and we had a conversation for a half hour or so before I hiked on. Great guy.

I stayed with him in January of 16 on my thru hike. The breakfast was very good, the bathroom was stocked w/ all supplies needed and then some..(epson salts, floss, etc..) and the bathroom was memorable as being extremely clean and the shower had great pressure and didn't run out of hot water. It was a full house that night w/ 3 thru hikers, a section hiker, a traveler, and I think a couple other guys. Larry made sure that everyone was considerate, and knew that it wasn't the place for a party, but to enjoy ourselves. I had a good experience there and nothing but good things to say about Larry and his place.

That being said, I do not remember what I paid but I know it was less than 45-50 bucks. I would not be able to bring myself to pay that much for any hostel on the AT.

Journal Entries
    Images

The heck you say, bs.............. yeah it will keep the bad apples away and that is exactly what I want. I have spent years reaching out to these troubled souls and I will continue to do so but not at my business
    I lied I am already helping folks

Journal Entries
    Images

Getting my B&B license Thursday, upgraded from Hotel.......
    Done...........................................

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Well, if you can't make it on $45 why are you planning on charging $45? Did I miss, or have you edited, a post?
    Yeah yeah I just figured I am a bit confused and you all have noticed that

Journal Entries
    Images

so you are losing money operating one hostel and the plan is to open more........

to somehow make money?????

you state "this is the price unless you haggle"

again, as I said before in this thread - if you want success do not run a business like a hobby
    Read it the way you see it. To break it down I am charging more so I can make more money. I have not lost by any means. My business is building pretty good. The days at living on everyone's budget but mine are gone.....

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    this is very confusing...
    I just said that

Journal Entries
    Images

Does for me buddy, I ain't worried whether the hikers stay or not. I want them to stay but they are not my only ticket here.....

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    But maybe it's $45 if you get a room without weed, $50 with...
    For that price I look forward to smoking all of yours

Journal Entries
    Images

is larry smoked up when posting?
    When am I not is the question pal

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by putts View Post
    My first experience at Larry's was 2012, I needed something that he had for sale (No, not weed) and he gave it to me for free, brewed a pot of coffee, and we had a conversation for a half hour or so before I hiked on. Great guy.

I stayed with him in January of 16 on my thru hike. The breakfast was very good, the bathroom was stocked w/ all supplies needed and then some..(epson salts, floss, etc..) and the bathroom was memorable as being extremely clean and the shower had great pressure and didn't run out of hot water. It was a full house that night w/ 3 thru hikers, a section hiker, a traveler, and I think a couple other guys. Larry made sure that everyone was considerate, and knew that it wasn't the place for a party, but to enjoy ourselves. I had a good experience there and nothing but good things to say about Larry and his place.

That being said, I do not remember what I paid but I know it was less than 45-50 bucks. I would not be able to bring myself to pay that much for any hostel on the AT.
    And you know that is okay, no argument here........Thank you for the compliment

Journal Entries

OK, looking over you last posting it it appears that you are doing this to make money and not so much as your calling or mission, as you find that elsewhere. This is well and good and wish you well on it.

The question as to how to turn it profitable. What I see is you have 2 models, a high capacity hostel or a private room BnB setup. The BnB setup seems to be the way you want to go, and most likely is the better one to get into. This especially since The Place does the high capacity hostel already and it's hard to compete with donation based.

But in order to get to a level where hikers are willing to part with $60/night+ it really needs to be stepped up a notch or 2. As stated WiFi is not a extra it's a standard, it is a detractor if it is not there, but not a plus if it is. Is the laundry a service or self serve? Some hostels have mandatory laundry, yes they demand it upon entry - this keeps things clean , along with town clothes to wear in the mean time. In your place I would also have loner bikes, as Damascus is spread out for hikers and you are on one side of town. Shuttle to the supermarket, perhaps that can be farmed out and on call for a small fee. Slack packing opportunity, especially if possible to pick up the pack at the place before which I don't recall if there is any such place, but if there is and you can set up this service it may help get the higher $ hikers in.

As stated I think you will have a difficult time getting hikers or anyone to part with your proposed $50/night for a bunk, $30/night is more the high end limit, and even rich hikers don't want to pay too much, by Damascus they will know the prices and won't want to feel taken advantage of, so the value really has to be stepped up to justify what you want.

And if you are successful you could attract competition which could end up hurting you as others undercut your prices for private rooms if you make it profitable. During my thru I ended up staying in a private guest house in Damascus, it was spectacular very clean, a very high bar to meet, and it worked out to $12.50 pps / night in 2013.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++