WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Bus service from DC to AT access cities

I stumbled across this web page about a bus service that started last December.
    http://www.catchthevabreeze.com/
    Goes from Union Station in DC to Dulles Airport to towns from which one could get to The Trail, such as Front Royal, Staunton, and Blacksburg.

I have absolutely no idea if this service is any good, but it does allow one to easily get from DC to The Trail (almost).
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 04-07-2018 at 11:27. Reason: Picky, picky, picky

Images

Wouldn't exactly call Staunton a trail town. Blacksburg is a trail community at least.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    I stumbled across this web page about a bus service that started last December.
    http://www.catchthevabreeze.com/
    Goes from Union Station in DC to Dulles Airport to towns where one could get to The Trail, such as Front Royal, Staunton, and Blacksburg.

I have absolutely no idea if this service is any good, but it does allow one to easily get from DC to The Trail (almost).
    Good info, thanks
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

This is great to know about, thanks for sharing, GoldenBear!

The front royal stop is very important. I wish this existed when I lived in DC. It makes it possible to do a hike by taking the train to Harpers Ferry and walk to Front Royal or vice versa using only public transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    The front royal stop is very important. I wish this existed when I lived in DC. It makes it possible to do a hike by taking the train to Harpers Ferry and walk to Front Royal or vice versa using only public transit.
    I did a yo-yo harpers ferry to front royal last year . Will use the front Royal bus to go South this year. Great news.

Thom

Images

Thank you for putting this up. Years ago, 2010, I was able to use the Valley Connector bus to get back to DC from my SNP section. It was a 4:30 am departure from Front Royal and was mostly federal employees going to work. It went defunct a few years later. This will be good news for a lot of section hikers.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Journal Entries
    Images

When I did the section from DWG to HF I flew into Dulles & Rented a car from Enterprise since they are the only car rental place near the trail in DWG & then at the end of that 300 mile-ish section I took an Amtrak into Union Station in DC then flew back out. Nice bus link that gives folks options!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

That is a seven mile hike from the Front Royal drop off to the AT trailhead. On the positive side, Jalisco's Mexican Restaurant is on the way.

Good to see more long haul bus service coming in to the area. Still, you might compare shuttle prices with the bus plus an extra day on the way to the trailhead? Gary Serra is one of several reliable drivers.

++ New Posts ++