WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by KilroyWasHere View Post
    are miles on the AT measured by a measuring wheel these days or by GPS? More specifically, is all the walking on switchbacks part of that measurement or are switchbacks measured as the crow flies?
    Without knowing which specific trail or dataset you're referring to, I don't think anyone can answer your first question. But I can talk a little bit about how, for example, your phone app tracks your hike, which is similar to how a trail would be mapped via GPS (spoiler alert: whether wheel or GPS, "as the crow flies" from end to end has never been how it's done).

Your phone app starts by getting a GPS fix, the more accurate the better. From GPS observations, the device makes an initial series of calculations to determine your latitude, longitude, and elevation, and the accuracy of those calculations.

Here are some sample data from around Max Patch:

maxpatch.png

In that data you'll see a timestamp, the primary calculations based on GPS observation (grey), and also secondary calculations (green) based on the primary calculation results.

There is no bearing or speed calculation in the first row, because the secondary calculations in green are based on comparing two adjacent rows of data. If I hike for two hours, and store a trackpoint e.g. every 5 seconds, I will record 1440 trackpoints, and can calculate 1439 sets of values between adjacent points (point1 -> point2, point2 -> point3, point3 -> point4 . . . . point1439 -> point1440).

The Haversine formula can be used to solve for horizontal distance between two trackpoints. Vertical distance is the difference between two <ele> values. The hypotenuse of the resulting right triangle is the distance hiked. (Add up the values of those 1439 hypotenuses, and you have total distance hiked.) Grade, speed, and compass bearing between each pair of points can be calculated as well.

If you have concerns about the accuracy of the initial observations (for example, if your device is in the forest, inside your pack brain), the same calculations can be performed between non-adjacent points (point1 -> point3, point1 -> point4, etc.) can be performed to check and smooth the resulting plot. (I can't really hike at 15mph.)
    Screenshot_20180405-125254.png
    The screenshots below show three different datasets plotted. The white dashed line is Google's plot of the AT (which, as you can see, is not always accurate). The red line is the ca. 2008 dataset from TNLandforms. The blue line is what my phone recorded on a hike in 2016.

Image2.jpg

Image4.png

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnacraft View Post
    The Haversine formula can be used to solve for horizontal distance between two trackpoints. Vertical distance is the difference between two <ele> values. The hypotenuse of the resulting right triangle is the distance hiked. (Add up the values of those 1439 hypotenuses, and you have total distance hiked.) Grade, speed, and compass bearing between each pair of points can be calculated
    Question:

Do you have any estimate of additional walking distance added to the AT due to elevation changes?

While my heart tells me it could be more than a few miles, my head tells me the distance added would be very, very small indeed.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Question:

Do you have any estimate of additional walking distance added to the AT due to elevation changes?

While my heart tells me it could be more than a few miles, my head tells me the distance added would be very, very small indeed.

Thoughts?
    It's about 8.75 miles. The average grade on the AT, whether going up or down is 9%. You get that number by dividing the total number of feet in ups and downs (around 515,000 feet of ups and around that many downs as well, depending on which end you start and end at) by the distance of the trail (around 2191 miles these days x 5280 feet per mile). That's around 1,030,000 feet divided by 11,568,480 feet, and that is a grade of 8.9%. Let's round that to 9%. Nine squared is 81. One hundred squared is 10,000. Add those. You get 10,081. Take the square root of that. You get 100.4 (with rounding). That means you hike an extra four tenths of a mile for every 100 miles you hike. Multiply that four tenths by 21.91 (the number of 100 mile legs in the 2191 mile trail) and you get about 8.75 miles of added distance.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Images

Question:

Thoughts?
    the reason a lot of us feel that way is because we're used to looking at elevation profiles with vertical exaggeration. if we draw an elevation profile of the entire trail, even if drawn fairly large (lets say 10 feet long) without vertical exaggeration you'd be looking at a flat line with a couple small bumps in the whites and a couple small bumps in the smokies. no matter how steep a hill feels over any actual practical gradient the additional horizontal distance added is almost nothing.

Hiking that far may cause my feet to hurt but all that math is causing my head to hurt.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    It's about 8.75 miles. The average grade on the AT, whether going up or down is 9%. You get that number by dividing the total number of feet in ups and downs (around 515,000 feet of ups and around that many downs as well, depending on which end you start and end at) by the distance of the trail (around 2191 miles these days x 5280 feet per mile). That's around 1,030,000 feet divided by 11,568,480 feet, and that is a grade of 8.9%. Let's round that to 9%. Nine squared is 81. One hundred squared is 10,000. Add those. You get 10,081. Take the square root of that. You get 100.4 (with rounding). That means you hike an extra four tenths of a mile for every 100 miles you hike. Multiply that four tenths by 21.91 (the number of 100 mile legs in the 2191 mile trail) and you get about 8.75 miles of added distance.
    That was a good explanation.

If you measure the length of a trail by using a wheel, or by the method outlined in my post, then the answer is that elevation changes are already factored into the length, and there are zero additional miles to consider.

If you want to separate the horizontal miles from the vertical miles, that's a bit more difficult to tease out. If you give credence to the "equivalent to climbing Mt. Everest 16 times" claim, that's about 80 miles of vertical. That also implies about 80 miles of downhill hiking as well. But as map man's post show, taking square roots of squares complicates simple estimates of horizontal distance and vertical distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    If I recall, there is a story that the original trail (since rerouted) carved a particularly grueling path up a steep mountain in the South the name of which escapes me. The route as supposedly flagged as a joke by the trail builders because they wanted to see of Avery and his wheel could make their way up the darn thing.
    You may be thinking of the Pinnacles of Dan.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    If I recall, there is a story that the original trail (since rerouted) carved a particularly grueling path up a steep mountain in the South the name of which escapes me. The route as supposedly flagged as a joke by the trail builders because they wanted to see of Avery and his wheel could make their way up the darn thing.
    That was the "peaks of otter".

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    That was the "peaks of otter".
    So the trail did once go through there? Hiking in that area recently I found myself wondering that. Was a relo done because of the parkway?

Avery got plenty of practice in Maine, Despite the major relocations, the trail mileage is still just an approximation. As an example the Hunt Trail going up Katahdin has section where a hiker is petty well jumping from boulder and up and over house sized boulders. No really good way to wheel it. A GPS is going to be off as its not going to get the frequent climbs over boulders.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    So the trail did once go through there? Hiking in that area recently I found myself wondering that. Was a relo done because of the parkway?
    If I recall correctly, the AT did not go over any of the three Peaks of Otter (Flat Top, Sharp Top, and Harkening Hill). The current trail is a few miles to the west, but an earlier route went much closer to Flat Top and Sharp Top – to the point where these were oft-taken side trails. I don’t know if the trail was rerouted specifically because of the Blue Ridge Parkway, but the federal government, as a side effect of the Parkway construction, built most of the trail in this area. The land was part of Natural Bridge National Forest when the Appalachian Trail was first built in the Peaks of Otter vicinity. Much of the trail in Natural Bridge National Forest was routed over forest roads, so the trail may also have moved away from the Peaks of Otter as part of efforts to put the AT on its own footbed.

There is an old story that the particularly vigorous route of the AT over the Pinnacles of Dan was a result of some early trail builders deliberately flagging a steep route and then sending Avery over it. The story claims that Avery liked the view, so the prank became the official route. I refer you to Walking With Spring or The Trail of My Life for the full version. I doubt this is true as the trail to the peak was originally a side trail, and then became the route of the AT as a result of dam construction on the Dan River.

The Long Trail is 268 miles from border to border. Interstate I91 does the same thing in 177 miles and is not exactly a straight line either. So, between wandering around and going up and down, the trail gained an extra 90 miles. That's a lot of extra miles!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

when I took up backpacking one of my neighbors mentioned her dad did the first GPS track of the AT. Turns out he was DELDOC mention above. He did all of this after retiring.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Goat View Post
    If I recall correctly, the AT did not go over any of the three Peaks of Otter (Flat Top, Sharp Top, and Harkening Hill). The current trail is a few miles to the west, but an earlier route went much closer to Flat Top and Sharp Top – to the point where these were oft-taken side trails. I don’t know if the trail was rerouted specifically because of the Blue Ridge Parkway, but the federal government, as a side effect of the Parkway construction, built most of the trail in this area. The land was part of Natural Bridge National Forest when the Appalachian Trail was first built in the Peaks of Otter vicinity. Much of the trail in Natural Bridge National Forest was routed over forest roads, so the trail may also have moved away from the Peaks of Otter as part of efforts to put the AT on its own footbed.

There is an old story that the particularly vigorous route of the AT over the Pinnacles of Dan was a result of some early trail builders deliberately flagging a steep route and then sending Avery over it. The story claims that Avery liked the view, so the prank became the official route. I refer you to Walking With Spring or The Trail of My Life for the full version. I doubt this is true as the trail to the peak was originally a side trail, and then became the route of the AT as a result of dam construction on the Dan River.
    interesting, thanks. the choice of trail routing and why often ends up fascinating me.

-

the miles added by elevation change is insignificant vs the effort added

I have said before, measuring the trail by units of effort with multipliers for weather etc would be a great tool for nerdy overplanners

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    That was Deldoc! I met him in 1999, somewhere in the mid-Atlantic. Backpack mounted GPS unit.
    I met Deldoc on my 2002 thru hike leaving Boiling Springs. He was wearing that giant GPS backpack. That seemed like amazing technology back then.
    Excellent breakdown Map Man!!! Good stuff.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    the miles added by elevation change is insignificant vs the effort added

I have said before, measuring the trail by units of effort with multipliers for weather etc would be a great tool for nerdy overplanners
    I remember how Nimblewill Nomad on his journal rated trail difficulty in units of "Snickers bars." Then he got to NH and gave up on his rating system.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++