WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Smokies Section over 4th of July - bad idea?

The 4th is a Wednesday this year. Will that week be a bad week to Section GSMNP? Or, will the mid-week holiday keep the numbers down? I know this can only be a guess, but maybe some locals out there can shed some light?

I have a separate post here where I have learned a lot about the regulations around shelters filling up and what to do, etc.

Images

Years ago--July 4th was a Saturday night and I had pecks corner to myself...

this was before the new reservation system and there wasn't a way to check how many spots were reserved...

i was surprised that I had it to myself but did not complain...

July 4th tends to be a day of local parades, family picnics and fireworks. Plus unlike Memorial or Labor day, it's not a 3 day weekend. This year July 4th falls in the middle of the week. So, taken all together it probably won't be overly busy. No more then usual. Still, it would be a good idea to make your reservations as early as they will let you.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just a few years ago, I stayed at Icewater Spring on July 4th. Had no problem getting shelter space, but by the time of the trip, the reservation system indicated the shelter would be full. However, only about 5 of us actually showed up. Of course that was the year there was a near record cold spell for that time of year. LeConte Lodge recorded an over-night low in the 30's that night.

And I would argue that assuming you can get the shelter reservations, July 4th is a great time to hike the AT thru GSMNP because you stay at a high elevation where temperatures are cooler (because camping at lower elevations that time of year can be miserable with bugs and heat).

You can expect crowds anywhere near a paved road. There will be no solitude at Clingman's dome and no moments of reflection perched out on Charlie's Bunion. Cherokee and Gatlinburg will be booked solid and 441 will be like a parking lot.

As soon as you are a mile away from the above points, it will be like another summer day. Follow the rules, park rangers and ridge runners don't take that week off. I would suggest a tent, but follow the rules.

Go. You'll have a great time. It may be hot, it may get cool. You will probably have a thunderstorm. But you'll be in the Smokies.

Never a bad idea to get out and section hike, locale doesn't matter, have fun.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Just a few years ago, I stayed at Icewater Spring on July 4th. Had no problem getting shelter space, but by the time of the trip, the reservation system indicated the shelter would be full. However, only about 5 of us actually showed up. Of course that was the year there was a near record cold spell for that time of year. LeConte Lodge recorded an over-night low in the 30's that night.

And I would argue that assuming you can get the shelter reservations, July 4th is a great time to hike the AT thru GSMNP because you stay at a high elevation where temperatures are cooler (because camping at lower elevations that time of year can be miserable with bugs and heat).
    +

In july, 5000-6000' is all that makes sense to hike on on southern AT

++ New Posts ++