WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bad Good Bad Good Bad Good Bad Good Bad Good Bad

My tired old dog died in 2015. So, I got to attempt a thru hike. Got hurt, hike over. But, I got to adopt a new young dog, and train him to hike with me! But, he had a bum shoulder, so no distance hiking for me. I arranged for a dog sitter, the hike is back on! The dog got worse, and had to be put down due to chronic un-treatable neck pain. Well, I can get back on the trail at least! Hmm, I spent all my savings at the vet, no distance hiking right now.

Maybe by late June, I can save enough for a section hike. I'm swearing off dogs for a few years.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lesson learned. “Long distance hiking with a dog creates more problems than any good it returned.”
    Grampie-N->2001

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Every time I envy the folks I meet who are hiking with great dogs (Hi, cmoulder and LIHikers!), I remind myself how much time it takes to train a trail dog, and think better of it. I don't know how you folks do it, but I'm glad you do!

Or maybe it's just that I've had to put too many companions to sleep, and haven't yet had another one make a call I couldn't refuse.

Sorry about your losses, and best of luck getting back on your hiking feet.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Hey AK, our dog, Tora, missed seeing you at this year's MLK, and so did we.
    Maybe next time.

Journal Entries

There's several million dogs euthanized each year that would rather be hiking with you.....

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    There's several million dogs euthanized each year that would rather be hiking with you.....
    If you mean killed because nobody l wants them, that is not euthanasia.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    If you mean killed because nobody l wants them, that is not euthanasia.
    The term is widely used for putting down animals due to lack of space at shelters.
    If you want to take issue with it you've got to take on the rest of the world. Have at it.We arent English majors and we don't really give a f.

Journal Entries

Every one of my dogs since I was a kid were mutts gotten from animal shelters or our local dog pound. If you ask me, they are better than a full blooded dog with AKC registration. I trained everyone of them how to walk on a leash, not to sniff human crotches and to sit as well as lay down.
    Blackheart

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Every one of my dogs since I was a kid were mutts gotten from animal shelters or our local dog pound. If you ask me, they are better than a full blooded dog with AKC registration. I trained everyone of them how to walk on a leash, not to sniff human crotches and to sit as well as lay down.
    if every one of them were mutts since you were a kid then it might be that you do not have to enough experience with true bloods to compare the two groups.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    if every one of them were mutts since you were a kid then it might be that you do not have to enough experience with true bloods to compare the two groups.
    No I kind of feel that people who spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for a dog, treat them like owners of a Ferrari, they buy then never drive them. H**l at dog shows the owners can't even present their dogs, they pay a "Professional Handler" to show their dog. No thanks. I take my mutt and train it my self, as all of them were happy to have a home where they were loved.
    Blackheart

++ New Posts ++