WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default CO Trail Preview

I got out this past weekend and hiked the Collegiate East from Clear Creek north to Twin Lakes dam, and thought I'd share my impressions of the early conditions as well as a video from the hike.

No surprise about the snow, it's low. Going to be a dry year if things don't change. Creeks are going to be dry much earlier than normal; and ones that don't normally go dry, will this year. I had to get to nearly 10,000 feet before I hit an significant snow, but never needed snow shoes. The San Juans and Breckenridge area did better in snow this year though so I probably hiked in one of the driest parts of the trail.

Winter blowdown isn't bad. The mild winter included mild winds. We didn't have major winds so early hikers on the trail won't have as many trees blocking their path. Wish I would have remembered my saw on this hike, I could have cleared several of the trees.

https://youtu.be/y7BJX2ExIUw

I experienced pretty much the same perspective on the sections I've played around on so far. Oddly, the forest covered parts of the Indian Creek alternate on Segment 1 had snow - though nothing more than shoe-deep and I'm sure it's only because there was total shade under the tree cover. Segment 2 is damn near bone dry of snow. And I only came across 3 total trees across the trail on Segment 1 after Lenny's Rest. I'm starting July 5th toward Durango - hopefully there's still some water flow at that point, but I already feel for the people doing late August starts. Could be a bit of a water hunt in some Segments for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CO Native View Post
    I got out this past weekend and hiked the Collegiate East from Clear Creek north to Twin Lakes dam, and thought I'd share my impressions of the early conditions as well as a video from the hike.

No surprise about the snow, it's low. Going to be a dry year if things don't change. Creeks are going to be dry much earlier than normal; and ones that don't normally go dry, will this year. I had to get to nearly 10,000 feet before I hit an significant snow, but never needed snow shoes. The San Juans and Breckenridge area did better in snow this year though so I probably hiked in one of the driest parts of the trail.

Winter blowdown isn't bad. The mild winter included mild winds. We didn't have major winds so early hikers on the trail won't have as many trees blocking their path. Wish I would have remembered my saw on this hike, I could have cleared several of the trees.

I am doing segments 7 through 9 in late July. I hope there are some decent water sources then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CO Native View Post

I am doing segments 7 through 9 in late July. I hope there are some decent water sources then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++